Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

I think it was certainly a possibility. At the time, Archie was a very hot coaching candidate, possibly the most coveted, realistic option for many of the powerful big 5 teams. I know he turned down many jobs before taking IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think that's true. We know he turned down the NC St job because he was looking bigger. And Cal talked openly more than once about him as a possible successor at UK. But i also think it may have had to do with Miller's vision for the program.If Archie said something to Glass  along the lines of, "This thing needs a frame up rebuild. I want a program built on experience and depth, not rebuild every year with 1 year guys. And the relationships between the program and the in state HS power brokers ain't what it used to be. So this isn't gonna happen overnight. It'll take years. But, it's the right approach long-term. So I expect the time necessary to do this and I expect to be protected in the process. So how do we do that?"  Then a massive buyout in the early years effectively does that. And, in fairness to Miller, he's following the roadmap he outlined from the jump.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Why did we give him such a huge buyout? Did we really think someone was going to try and steal him from us? 

Could be worse.  Pretty sure Cals is over $50 million still.  I am also pretty sure Archies buyout is hovering around top 20 highest, but that changes every year.  Par for the course with college coaches.  At a program like Indiana it’s just the norm.  Unless we hire Dane Fife.  If we give up over a $10 million buyout on someone like that I have serious questions/issues.  My thing is that buyout shouldn’t be there unless you can afford it day 1.  That should never stop an Indiana from making a final decision.  When money drives/determines final decisions on getting the right leaders, it will never be a good business decision or end well.  If he is your man, he is your man.  If he is not, $10 million shouldn’t be the final swaying point.  Now if he is up for a contract extension and you aren’t sure, you can’t move forward with that coach.  Our leadership has to make decisive decisions over the next year or so.  It better not come down to a few million dollars deciding.

42 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Curious what the buy out is.. but I imagine he’s way off the table.

His buyout will also increase to over $10 million over the next two years.

That was from the SI article, but it’s an odd way to say it.  Does that mean it’s lower until then?  Bold move on their part if that’s the case.  

11 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

In terms of Sampson trying to stop the drug use.....he certainly didn’t use bench of team dismissal as motivators.  The main alleged culprits seemed to be playing game after game.

What he knew, or could prove, is all in question. And what exactly did DD do along those same lines? I don't recall him benching or dismissing anyone once he took over for Sampson. Bassett and Ellis were the first to go, but that was after the season. 

So in other words, if you fault Sampson for not having a heavier hand, DD didn't either. I've also always wondered why there were no positive drug tests if it was such an issue. 

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

His buyout will also increase to over $10 million over the next two years.

That was from the SI article, but it’s an odd way to say it.  Does that mean it’s lower until then?  Bold move on their part if that’s the case.  

I read it as his buyout will be over $10 mil the next 2 season. Then it will drop to an amount below that. 

What he knew, or could prove, is all in question. And what exactly did DD do along those same lines? I don't recall him benching or dismissing anyone once he took over for Sampson. Bassett and Ellis were the first to go, but that was after the season. 
So in other words, if you fault Sampson for not having a heavier hand, DD didn't either. I've also always wondered why there were no positive drug tests if it was such an issue. 

Nobody is advocating for DD to be coaching

36 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Nobody is advocating for DD to be coaching

Nobody is saying anyone is advocating for DD. Point is, nobody trashed DD. And on the topic of drug situation, it's all speculation what Sampson knew or didn't know, and one of the players that we know wasn't caught up in it, said Sampson did try to deal with things. Anyway, I don't fault him for that. I fault him for breaking the rules, which is not speculation.

Nobody is saying anyone is advocating for DD. Point is, nobody trashed DD. And on the topic of drug situation, it's all speculation what Sampson knew or didn't know, and one of the players that we know wasn't caught up in it, said Sampson did try to deal with things. Anyway, I don't fault him for that. I fault him for breaking the rules, which is not speculation.

It’s a thread for potential coaching replacements. People are mentioning Sampson,and pointing out his negatives. You brought DD into the conversation as if he should be judged by the same standards. Point is, he’s not a candidate so why use that argument? It doesn’t matter what DD knew or didn’t, he’s not a coaching candidate

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

I read it as his buyout will be over $10 mil the next 2 season. Then it will drop to an amount below that. 

I can see that.  Even at that we are talking essentially $20 million including Archie’s buyout.  I know that’s a big number, but if you as a university are serious about basketball that really shouldn’t make you flinch.  I think only Calipari’s is absurd.  Other than that if Kansas, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky wanted Oates that number wouldn’t scare them.  They could get that in donations easily.  If that’s a guy as a university you say you want money shouldn’t matter unless it’s an absurd amount.  I honestly expected his would be higher.  He isn’t ending there.

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

It’s a thread for potential coaching replacements. People are mentioning Sampson,and pointing out his negatives. You brought DD into the conversation as if he should be judged by the same standards. Point is, he’s not a candidate so why use that argument? It doesn’t matter what DD knew or didn’t, he’s not a coaching candidate

Look at the the history of the conversation. It started with Sampson, and someone pointing out that Sampson was responsible for X or Y. My response and bringing DD into it is pointing out the hypocrisy in blaming Sampson for that specific topic, while nobody blamed DD.

If you don't like the conversation or tangent, you don't have to read or follow it. 

If Sampson wanted a better environment he would have created it. He wanted to win and let drugs, attending class, and other things slide.

37 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

If Sampson wanted a better environment he would have created it. He wanted to win and let drugs, attending class, and other things slide.

Welp, either he's learned his lesson and changed, or he's been luckier getting the right kids. The AAC and him seem to be getting along. He's won the conference, and been CotY twice in the past couple years. 

13 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

For petes sake, beat Purdue. It is time. Archie is just as bad against Purdue as Harbaugh is against Ohio State. 

Harbaugh just got a contract extension! :120:

I’m pretty familiar with UM football...if we had a Harbaugh situation in basketball there would be complaining but we’d be better off than right now (this past season was certainly a rough one for them, though).

Harbaugh at UM is like if IU had gotten Stevens, but if Stevens had played at IU and had, I dunno, Alan Henderson’s career?

But before this year, UM football was basically doing the football equivalent of if IU basketball:

1. Immediately had more success than his predecessor ever did

2. Ramped up recruiting

3. entered every season roughly top 10

4. Was annually blown out by UK (OSU in this comparison)

5. Lost far too often to PU (MSU in comparison)

6. Never even finished second in the B1G or won the B1G tourney

7. entered the tourney between a 2 and 5 seed and underperformed.

8. Big picture, had some diminishing returns over time

So we’d have things to complain about. But Harbaugh’s water level at UM seems much higher than Archie’s at IU.