Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, kreigh8 said:

Assumed it was just a typo, but a bit of name drop lol. My mother jumped on that name in March for a son she was going to have that May. Yours truly lol

Loved his game. I used to get the same haircut from the same guy who cut all the players. I was 11. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Loved his game. I used to get the same haircut from the same guy who cut all the players. I was 11. 

Met him when I was 7 at DeKalb HS when my dad was on the staff - used to say he had the best JV team in the state when he had Luke Recker for the 2 games he didn't play varsity. Let the hate roll in on that name drop too. Still a Recker fan personally

On 2/14/2021 at 8:38 PM, brumdog45 said:

I think F'd up makes it seem like an accident.  He didn't **** up......what he did was deliberate.  And I don't care if rules have been changed now that would have allowed what he did.  He knew the spotlight was going to be on his recruiting actions.  I also have no doubt he's still playing outside the lines at Houston.

f'd up to me isn't an accident lol... Regardless, I don't see what he did as some death sentence. It was a very weak infraction.

He's obviously a good coach. And right now, we're treading water in the sea of mediocrity. 

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

f'd up to me isn't an accident lol... Regardless, I don't see what he did as some death sentence. It was a very weak infraction.

He's obviously a good coach. And right now, we're treading water in the sea of mediocrity. 

He was suspended by the NCAA for five years.  That's a pretty hefty infraction.  Killed our program for a few years as well.

In terms of f'ed up, I think we just define it different ways.  When I say someone f'ed up, I typically say it in the sense that they made an unintended mistake.  You might not use it the same way.  My stance is there is a difference between making a mistake through either ignorance or not thinking the it through and doing something knowing fell what the consequences for such action would be.  And what's worse is that it wasn't the first school he had done it at.  Ignorance or lack of thinking things through IMO are more forgivable that knowing full well what the consequences for your actions are going to be and just saying '**** it, I think I can get away with it'.

16 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

He was suspended by the NCAA for five years.  That's a pretty hefty infraction.  Killed our program for a few years as well.

In terms of f'ed up, I think we just define it different ways.  When I say someone f'ed up, I typically say it in the sense that they made an unintended mistake.  You might not use it the same way.  My stance is there is a difference between making a mistake through either ignorance or not thinking the it through and doing something knowing fell what the consequences for such action would be.  And what's worse is that it wasn't the first school he had done it at.  Ignorance or lack of thinking things through IMO are more forgivable that knowing full well what the consequences for your actions are going to be and just saying '**** it, I think I can get away with it'.

I agree it was a huge bad..... even if the infraction itself is pretty lax by today's standards.

And yes, we use the terms differently. All in all, I wish he hadn't done what he did, as I think we'd be in a very good position right now.

He served his 5 year sentence, and is now having great success. We've been throw 2 coaches, and still struggling. IMO, though, the program was already "set back", so I don't really blame him for much. Yes we had high turnover after it, but a lot of teams have huge turnover every year, and simply reload.

6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I agree it was a huge bad..... even if the infraction itself is pretty lax by today's standards.

And yes, we use the terms differently. All in all, I wish he hadn't done what he did, as I think we'd be in a very good position right now.

He served his 5 year sentence, and is now having great success. We've been throw 2 coaches, and still struggling. IMO, though, the program was already "set back", so I don't really blame him for much. Yes we had high turnover after it, but a lot of teams have huge turnover every year, and simply reload.

Part of that huge turnover was the guys that Sampson brought in....guys like JaMarcus Ellis.  If the rumors were true, there was very heavy drug use going on around that team which Sampson knew about.....basically we had to clean house when Sampson was fired.

25 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Part of that huge turnover was the guys that Sampson brought in....guys like JaMarcus Ellis.  If the rumors were true, there was very heavy drug use going on around that team which Sampson knew about.....basically we had to clean house when Sampson was fired.

I'm aware of the rumors. Keep in mind that 1) Gordon said Sampson tried to stop the drug use, and 2) DD was there beginning of Nov so would have been aware of the issues going on too.

6 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm aware of the rumors. Keep in mind that 1) Gordon said Sampson tried to stop the drug use, and 2) DD was there beginning of Nov so would have been aware of the issues going on too.

In terms of Sampson trying to stop the drug use.....he certainly didn’t use bench of team dismissal as motivators.  The main alleged culprits seemed to be playing game after game.

Is the consensus that making the tourney confirms another season for Archie? I can't imagine the admin firing him after making his first NCAA at IU.

I'm actually pretty confident he'll be back barring an absolute melt-down on the stretch run...and maybe even then. 

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Is the consensus that making the tourney confirms another season for Archie? I can't imagine the admin firing him after making his first NCAA at IU.

I'm actually pretty confident he'll be back barring an absolute melt-down on the stretch run...and maybe even then. 

Yes.

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I think it's common sense that Archie will be back. Our roster will still be "strong" next year and we're not buying out his contract this summer. No great candidate is going to be rushing through the doors of Cook Hall in April. We get another year of Archie ball at the minimum. 

27 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Making the tournament shouldn't save him, but it probably will. 

59 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I think this has already been decided behind the scenes.

I think he is back regardless. I don't think they will pay the 10 million buyout, even over a period of years.
I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Why did we give him such a huge buyout? Did we really think someone was going to try and steal him from us? 

I think it was certainly a possibility. At the time, Archie was a very hot coaching candidate, possibly the most coveted, realistic option for many of the powerful big 5 teams. I know he turned down many jobs before taking IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app