Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

On 2/15/2021 at 1:45 PM, mdn82 said:

Damn near every coach is hired to get fired.  I hope you all feel better about yourselves. I hope you all get a bozo button or get whatever it is that makes you all happy.  

Just know Greg Marshall was fired before Archie Miller.  We were both wrong Josh.  Also, I did not quit posting here because I thought Archie Miller would do good here and he didn’t.  If you truly feel that way, how’s come I haven’t stopped posting over the last 15 years at various sites?  I quit posting here because I wanted to enjoy what I could of the season.  I know you and others won’t understand that, but some of us actually root for success in spite of seeing what is happening.  You give yourself too much credit.  I have been on these boards for four coaching changes.  Negativity doesn’t scare me away.  Repetitive bitching to ***** is enough for a lot of us.  Also if you have something to say to me @ me, don’t say “there are two people...”  Seriously we are adults if you got something to say to me say it.  Don’t be a puss on an anonymous board to puff your chest out.  It’s sad you guys need adulation over something like this.  I hope you all don’t need this in your regular lives lol.

What...it’s not because Rob Phinisee isn’t going to the rim with confidence? It’s actually because repetitive negativity is a way of sucking the joy out of interaction, even when there’s a less vocal group of really smart, pleasant people?

Shocking.

I partly blame the mods for being subservient to “he hasn’t broken the letter of the board rules yet” mindset.

If it helps any mdn82, vacations from the board already started to be handed out last night. For other fine posters who are paying attention, come on back; criticizing or speculation about what will happen to IUBB is still absolutely allowed (and I mean it), but this is an IU fan board, and any repetitbullshirt, ESPECIALLY off topic during game threads, will be dealt with immediately.

Now back to sports talk.

On 2/13/2021 at 5:47 PM, LamarCheeks said:

I'm sorta perplexed by this whole "We need an IU guy" argument -- on twitter, here and everywhere else.

"Some one who knows the History and Know how of what IU Basketball was made of." 

What the hell does that even mean? 

First of all, there are no "IU guys" who are capable of taking over the program. Alford? No. Woodson? No. Wittman? No. Smart? Meh. Isiah? Please. I could see taking a flyer on Fife -- maybe -- but that's it.

Hey, Pat Knight's an IU guy -- should we hire him? 

I guarantee you that Sampson, Crean, Miller -- they're very well aware of the history of IU basketball. They just didn't work or are not working out. One because of cheating (though it's not cheating any longer), one because he was very weird and mediocre and the third because so far, he's been very mediocre. 

Knight wasn't even an "IU guy" when he came to B-town. Cal isn't a "Kentucky guy." K isn't a "Duke guy." Few isn't a "Gonzaga guy." Wright isn't a "Villanova guy." ... You get the picture. 

This notion is preposterous, and needs to be put to rest once and for all. We don't need an "IU guy." We need the "right guy." 

I agree completely. Couldn’t have said it better myself. Going out and trying to find the right guy gives us a shot. Hiring an “IU guy” like Alford is waving the white flag.

Identifying the next coach, that can move the needle,  will get increasingly more difficult. It never had to be this hard in the first place. 

In the time between when knight was fired, until now, the head coaching position at Indiana became incredibly unattractive to talented coaches. Sad. 

I agree completely. Couldn’t have said it better myself. Going out and trying to find the right guy gives us a shot. Hiring an “IU guy” like Alford is waving the white flag.

Identifying the next coach, that can move the needle,  will get increasingly more difficult. It never had to be this hard in the first place. 

In the time between when knight was fired, until now, the head coaching position at Indiana became incredibly unattractive to talented coaches. Sad. 
Dakich talked about it in a tweet yesterday od Saturday. It looked like he was in favor of it. He brought up Painter at Purdue, Izzo at MSU and some one else. Replies brought up Knight, K and others

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Whoever our next coach is needs to hire some great assistants. Im not sure what our current exist on the bench for. An assistant is where you want an IU and I'm not talking about Mike Roberts. I'm saying throwing money at Calbert Cheaney to return. Or go ing guys AJ Guyton a shot at being an assistant. We need an Xs and Os coach that has fire and charisma. I think right now we have the fire. Xs and Os not so much... Zero charisma. I honestly wouldn't mind throwing a big bag of money at Kenny Payne for a HC spot. He was massive in Cals success at UK. We definitely need an assistant or two who had big time skill when playing. People tried talking up the Mike Roberts hire, but he wasn't anything near what we needed considering he just about did nothing here in his playing days. I just hope the next coach is ready to roll and hired great assistants. Those are positions I feel we really overlook at times. 

19 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Dakich talked about it in a tweet yesterday od Saturday. It looked like he was in favor of it. He brought up Painter at Purdue, Izzo at MSU and some one else. Replies brought up Knight, K and others

Of course he’s in favor. He wants access again. Painter and Izzo are outliers. Looking at past players would be a huge mistake imo. 

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Whoever our next coach is needs to hire some great assistants. Im not sure what our current exist on the bench for. An assistant is where you want an IU and I'm not talking about Mike Roberts. I'm saying throwing money at Calbert Cheaney to return. Or go ing guys AJ Guyton a shot at being an assistant. We need an Xs and Os coach that has fire and charisma. I think right now we have the fire. Xs and Os not so much... Zero charisma. I honestly wouldn't mind throwing a big bag of money at Kenny Payne for a HC spot. He was massive in Cals success at UK. We definitely need an assistant or two who had big time skill when playing. People tried talking up the Mike Roberts hire, but he wasn't anything near what we needed considering he just about did nothing here in his playing days. I just hope the next coach is ready to roll and hired great assistants. Those are positions I feel we really overlook at times. 

Usually the best coaches are the players that were at the end of the bench.

FWIW when I listen to DD, I almost get the feeling his main attitude towards Miller is one of pity, not anger. He apparently thinks AM is just in over his head and not ready for a P5 program like IU.

DD seems to reserve most of his anger for Glass and certain members of the BOT.

I assume that, when he took over for Glass, Dolson came in with every intention to keep Miller for AT LEAST 5 seasons, regardless of results. That still appears to me to be where the program is headed.

For me that assumption has had the odd effect of a perverse sense of serenity: I don't expect particularly good results, I don't get them either, and in any event it probably doesn't move the needle for at least another 12 months. At that point Dolson can IMO simply no longer avoid having to make SOME decision about the basketball program.

2 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

FWIW when I listen to DD, I almost get the feeling his main attitude towards Miller is one of pity, not anger. He apparently thinks AM is just in over his head and not ready for a P5 program like IU.

DD seems to reserve most of his anger for Glass and certain members of the BOT.

I assume that, when he took over for Glass, Dolson came in with every intention to keep Miller for AT LEAST 5 seasons, regardless of results. That still appears to me to be where the program is headed.

For me that assumption has had the odd effect of a perverse sense of serenity: I don't expect particularly good results, I don't get them either, and in any event it probably doesn't move the needle for at least another 12 months. At that point Dolson can IMO simply no longer avoid having to make SOME decision about the basketball program.

Covid plays a role here. The world of college sports is in transition and Dolson must recognize this and be proactive. If he keeps the status quo we will be left behind.

This team hasn't developed like I wish they would have.  And the same exact issues consistently happen every season since CAM has taken over. I imagine we'll get at least one more year of CAM.  After that, who knows.  

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

To be fair, a lot times good players don't make good coaches.

Bob Knight:  3.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg.

Mike Krzyzewski:  6.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg.

Yeah.....seems like a pretty meaningless statement to think that we need to go after a guy because of his playing stats.  If how a guy played translated to how his players would play, wouldn't Archie's players being really good shooters who hit their free throws?

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Covid plays a role here. The world of college sports is in transition and Dolson must recognize this and be proactive. If he keeps the status quo we will be left behind.

I think you are reading the covid situation wrong.  Covid has likely slowed, not sped up, teams moving on from their current coaches.  I would expect that this upcoming season we will see much less turnover than normal given financials.

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Bob Knight:  3.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg.

Mike Krzyzewski:  6.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg.

Yeah.....seems like a pretty meaningless statement to think that we need to go after a guy because of his playing stats.  If how a guy played translated to how his players would play, wouldn't Archie's players being really good shooters who hit their free throws?

Yes... Because we are looking for Bobby Knight and Coach K to be our last in line assistant. 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

What...it’s not because Rob Phinisee isn’t going to the rim with confidence? It’s actually because repetitive negativity is a way of sucking the joy out of interaction, even when there’s a less vocal group of really smart, pleasant people?

Shocking.

I partly blame the mods for being subservient to “he hasn’t broken the letter of the board rules yet” mindset.

If it helps any mdn82, vacations from the board already started to be handed out last night. For other fine posters who are paying attention, come on back; criticizing or speculation about what will happen to IUBB is still absolutely allowed (and I mean it), but this is an IU fan board, and any repetitbullshirt, ESPECIALLY off topic during game threads, will be dealt with immediately.

Now back to sports talk.

Thanks.  Ultimately, the worst thing isn't being negative.  It's not being unique.  And when it's negatively non-unique....ugh.

This team hasn't developed like I wish they would have.  And the same exact issues consistently happen every season since CAM has taken over. I imagine we'll get at least one more year of CAM.  After that, who knows.  
Robbie Hummel was talking about IU on SiriusXM B1G radio. He was perplexed at the offense and why no shooters have been recruited. Basically the same things we have talked about