Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

That's as much of an indictment as anything is.  If a coach as wildly mediocre as Crean is better, you have no business coaching at this level.

Crean, IMO isn't bad, he's just not that good.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Archie shouldnt have even made it home with a job. Just ask one of the useless assistants to finish the season and see what happens. 

So who realistically do you want?

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Crean went T-7th, T-8th, and T-10th in three of his last four seasons at IU. His other season in that period he was 1st in the conference. 

In Archie’s four seasons, he’s gone T-6th, 9th, T-10th, and right now he’s T-8th. 

If he’s a better coach than Crean, it’s not showing up on the floor. Not only does Archie not have Crean’s high-end seasons, but also his IU career as a whole is similar to Crean’s down years. We ended up firing Crean for being inconsistent and hiring a guy who replicates Crean’s down years without having any good years.

I agree on Crean's inconsistency, but if you list the 7th/8th/10th ranked seasons, you also have to concede that two out of his last 5 seasons were #1, both in which had Sweet 16 appearances. 

I'm no huge fan of Crean, but he did recruit much better than CAM, and seemed to at least be capable of making a run every few years. He's been slowly, but consistently improving UGA. 

Just my humble opinion, but I think UGA is a good landing spot for him. Not a big name or blue blood, and appreciate being competitive to an extent. They've only won the SEC twice since 80, and have the same number of appearances in the dance IIRC.

I just wish Sampson wouldn't have F'd up. IMO we'd be back to blue blood status.

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Crean, IMO isn't bad, he's just not that good.

So who realistically do you want?

I agree on Crean's inconsistency, but if you list the 7th/8th/10th ranked seasons, you also have to concede that two out of his last 5 seasons were #1, both in which had Sweet 16 appearances. 

I'm no huge fan of Crean, but he did recruit much better than CAM, and seemed to at least be capable of making a run every few years. He's been slowly, but consistently improving UGA. 

Just my humble opinion, but I think UGA is a good landing spot for him. Not a big name or blue blood, and appreciate being competitive to an extent. They've only won the SEC twice since 80, and have the same number of appearances in the dance IIRC.

I just wish Sampson wouldn't have F'd up. IMO we'd be back to blue blood status.

I only listed those three seasons and left out the others for Crean to show that what we thought was ‘unacceptable’ from Crean is about all we’ve gotten from Archie. Their lows are similar, but unlike Crean, Archie doesn’t have 2 conference titles and 3 sweet 16 appearances at IU to point to. We don’t even get any good with the bad with Archie as our coach. We just get the bad. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I only listed those three seasons and left out the others for Crean to show that what we thought was ‘unacceptable’ from Crean is about all we’ve gotten from Archie. Their lows are similar, but unlike Crean, Archie doesn’t have 2 conference titles and 3 sweet 16 appearances at IU to point to. We don’t even get any good with the bad with Archie as our coach. We just get the bad. 

Agreed. 

For me, I'm just pretty meh on the whole current situation. 1) we've been very inconsistent under CAM, 2) the recruiting side of things hasn't been great, and 3) and biggest thing, I just don't feel that we're improving. 

Complete and unlikely hypothetical here. Let's say the Celtics end up letting Stevens go mid season and he actually wants to coach at IU. Question is does that $10 mil matter anymore in regards to AM's buyout? If the answer is no then it shouldn't matter for any candidate that the admin feels is the right guy. And I'm guessing if everyone were to be honest with themselves the answer to the question is an emphatic no.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Complete and unlikely hypothetical here. Let's say the Celtics end up letting Stevens go mid season and he actually wants to coach at IU. Question is does that $10 mil matter anymore in regards to AM's buyout? If the answer is no then it shouldn't matter for any candidate that the admin feels is the right guy. And I'm guessing if everyone were to be honest with themselves the answer to the question is an emphatic no.

I assume Fred would call his biggest donors in this case. Mark Cuban.. but maybe Mark wants Stevens for the Mavs? lo

Would be interesting..

The talk of Stevens coming to IU is ludicrous. 
Which is why I said unlikely hypothetical and the bigger point was to suggest the buyout either matters or it doesn't regardless of the target.

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I thought at some point within the past couple years, Cuban said he was finished giving money to the university. 

I thought it was more along the lines that he wasn't going to donate money for the purpose of hiring or firing a coach.  

I’m not arguing that Stevens will come to IU, but I think he should (coach college).  The guy is a brilliant coach and he’s so brilliant that he’s actually hurting his own chances to win a NBA championship.  He does so much without a 10-15 NBA player roster that they always make the playoffs and play competitively in the playoffs. Unfortunately that means they lose out on lottery picks to actually choose elite players. The best of the best don’t want to go to Boston because of racism right now and in the NBA you need at least one supper star right now to win it all.  Thoughts?  

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I'd say it matters because in the hypothetical that Stevens were let go by the Celtics, the bidding war would be astronomical with both college and pro teams bidding for Stevens.....which would mean not would IU be outpaying everyone else, but also paying an additional $10 million on top of that.

My honest opinion at this point is that Miller will be back next year (I do hope we at least have a tournament bid out of it).  IU has been reluctant to move on quickly before and the loss of revenue from the pandemic + the additional buy out package IMO will keep Archie here through 2022.  Has nothing to do with how I feel about the job he's done, just stating what I think will happen.  Regardless, I'm still rooting for IU to win.  Rather be wrong and win than right and lose.

4 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I’m not arguing that Stevens will come to IU, but I think he should (coach college).  The guy is a brilliant coach and he’s so brilliant that he’s actually hurting his own chances to win a NBA championship.  He does so much without a 10-15 NBA player roster that they always make the playoffs and play competitively in the playoffs. Unfortunately that means they lose out on lottery picks to actually choose elite players. The best of the best don’t want to go to Boston because of racism right now and in the NBA you need at least one supper star right now to win it all.  Thoughts?  

He had a top 10-15 player in Kyrie Irving.  I also think that Tatum is going to be top 10-15 (if he's not already) very soon and that Jaylen Brown is a pretty nice #2.  They might be struggling now, but they are a team where some reshuffling of parts could really help.  Really need to get a legitimate big and move a guard.

28 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

He had a top 10-15 player in Kyrie Irving.  I also think that Tatum is going to be top 10-15 (if he's not already) very soon and that Jaylen Brown is a pretty nice #2.  They might be struggling now, but they are a team where some reshuffling of parts could really help.  Really need to get a legitimate big and move a guard.

They have no trade assets and have not made a significant trade since Kylie, which turned out bad. 

Lots of Celtic fans questioning Stevens right now. Something to keep an eye on this summer. 

8 minutes ago, Treesh said:

They have no trade assets and have not made a significant trade since Kylie, which turned out bad. 

Lots of Celtic fans questioning Stevens right now. Something to keep an eye on this summer. 

Don't make a move on Archie and wait out Stevens. I could get down with that if it even had 10% of coming to fruition, lol. I hate to be so jaded, but these past two games have been brutal even if IU is 1-1. I'm not convinced last year's team wasn't better.

45 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Go on the internet and you find lots of idiots saying that they wouldn't want Giannis on their team because 'he chokes'.  Hell, you can find 'a lot of Chiefs fans' that want Andy Reid fired because of the Super Bowl game plan.