Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I'm sorta perplexed by this whole "We need an IU guy" argument -- on twitter, here and everywhere else.

"Some one who knows the History and Know how of what IU Basketball was made of." 
What the hell does that even mean? 

First of all, there are no "IU guys" who are capable of taking over the program. Alford? No. Woodson? No. Wittman? No. Smart? Meh. Isiah? Please. I could see taking a flyer on Fife -- maybe -- but that's it.
Hey, Pat Knight's an IU guy -- should we hire him? 
I guarantee you that Sampson, Crean, Miller -- they're very well aware of the history of IU basketball. They just didn't work or are not working out. One because of cheating (though it's not cheating any longer), one because he was very weird and mediocre and the third because so far, he's been very mediocre. 

Knight wasn't even an "IU guy" when he came to B-town. Cal isn't a "Kentucky guy." K isn't a "Duke guy." Few isn't a "Gonzaga guy." Wright isn't a "Villanova guy." ... You get the picture. 
This notion is preposterous, and needs to be put to rest once and for all. We don't need an "IU guy." We need the "right guy." 

Can I share this when I see someone talk about an IU guy on social media?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Dane Fife and Steve Alford are the names I’m seeing today from the general fans on FB and Twitter.

That’s almost entirely because those are the only name recognition coaches.

How many of them have heard of Casey Alexander or Darian Devries, or even Chris Beard?

Not many at all.

If Archie doesn't make the tournament this year, it will be difficult to bring him back for a fifth year. That's four consecutive years without earning a spot in a 68-team tournament (Maybe last year IU gets in as one of the last four or as a ten seed, but it didn't happen and that's not much success anyway.) 

If he barely makes the tournament in year five, you risk firing a guy who "is turning the corner" according to national media, and it isn't good optics for potential future IU coaches. Also, he will need a contract extension, because it's too easy to recruit against a guy who only has two years left on his deal. 

The $10 million buyout isn't insurmountable. It's paid over years, is off-set by other earnings, and it's not uncommon for contracts to be further negotiated at the end of a person's employment. 

Despite how the pandemic has impacted sports revenue, IU isn't poor. Some schools are still turning a profit, due to effectively scaling down for the year. 

If Archie doesn't show serious progress in the season's final month, it's not his coaching acumen or a lack of funds that keep him in Bloomington for next year. It's either administration's ineptitude or their lack of caring. 

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s almost entirely because those are the only name recognition coaches.

How many of them have heard of Casey Alexander or Darian Devries, or even Chris Beard?

Not many at all.

Mid major guys will lose the fan base.

Chris isn’t coming here. 

24 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

The $10 million buyout isn't insurmountable. It's paid over years, is off-set by other earnings, and it's not uncommon for contracts to be further negotiated at the end of a person's employment. 

Despite how the pandemic has impacted sports revenue, IU isn't poor. Some schools are still turning a profit, due to effectively scaling down for the year. 

I think you are underselling the impact of the pandemic.  It's an extra cost of $7 million if Miller bought out this year instead of next.  The difference in cost could likely effect WHO we try to hire.  

My current feeling is that we will edge our way into the tournament and that Miller will be back next year.  If we don't make the tournament, I'm still not convinced he isn't back for one more year.

23 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Mid major guys will lose the fan base.

Chris isn’t coming here. 

I’m sure I don’t care, and I hope Dolson doesn’t.

When hired by their iconic program almost all hall of fame coaches came from a mid or small program.

It’s all about hiring the right person. Period.

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’m sure I don’t care, and I hope Dolson doesn’t.

When hired by their iconic program almost all hall of fame coaches came from a mid or small program.

It’s all about hiring the right person. Period.

The right guy will succeed. And it won’t take 4 years for a program using this many resources to see some ROI

20 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I think you are underselling the impact of the pandemic.  It's an extra cost of $7 million if Miller bought out this year instead of next.  The difference in cost could likely effect WHO we try to hire.  

My current feeling is that we will edge our way into the tournament and that Miller will be back next year.  If we don't make the tournament, I'm still not convinced he isn't back for one more year.

I think if Thad Matta was interested we might switch this year because of no buyout to pay.  Otherwise I am resigned to sucking next year 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

With all due respect, you may be underestimating the wealth generated by the universities in the B1G, donor support, contract negotiations and time. 

He may or may not be back, but money (particularly only $7 million over the course of years--and even less because if he gets another job, which is is required to do) isn't an issue when even during the pandemic IU earns more than $55M a year with just TV rights, donors fork over millions a year, merchandising, etc. Yes, budgets were cut this year, but so were expenses. Like I said, some athletic departments, even in the B1G, are reporting still having earned money during the past year. 

Also, a few million here or there over the course of a few years won't stop IU from hiring a great coach. A hire that excites the fan base makes the department more money over time. 

With all due respect, you may be underestimating the wealth generated by the universities in the B1G, donor support, contract negotiations and time. 
He may or may not be back, but money (particularly only $7 million over the course of years--and even less because if he gets another job, which is is required to do) isn't an issue when even during the pandemic IU earns more than $55M a year with just TV rights, donors fork over millions a year, merchandising, etc. Yes, budgets were cut this year, but so were expenses. Like I said, some athletic departments, even in the B1G, are reporting still having earned money during the past year. 
Also, a few million here or there over the course of a few years won't stop IU from hiring a great coach. A hire that excites the fan base makes the department more money over time. 

If the manager who runs IU’s merchandise is to be believed they haven’t done so well this year. A lot never made it over from China and Vietnam, the stuff that did was marked way down.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

If the manager who runs IU’s merchandise is to be believed they haven’t done so well this year. A lot never made it over from China and Vietnam, the stuff that did was marked way down.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Ok. Let's say merchandising is down this year. Do you think the administration didn't plan for that? They know how to cut expenses to offset losses. 

All I'm say is, the department brings in over $100M a year. Archie's buyout a) is still negotiable as all contracts are b) is spread out over years c) requires him to find a high-paying job that offsets the buyout. For example, if Archie gets a job that pays him $1.5M, that's $3M removed from the $7M buyout, and, again, that's $3M over the course of years for a department that makes over $100M annually. Don't forget donors that could suddenly give generously for a specific purpose. 

I’m ready for any coach who can consistently get his team ready to play every game. As much as I disliked Crean, he is a better coach than Miller. That’s all I need to know to give someone else a shot. 

1 hour ago, schoosier said:

I’m ready for any coach who can consistently get his team ready to play every game. As much as I disliked Crean, he is a better coach than Miller. That’s all I need to know to give someone else a shot. 

I think Miller is a better coach than CTC. He really only had success because his assistant coaches landed top recruits. We saw what happened when our assistants left elsewhere..

I think Miller is a better coach than CTC. He really only had success because his assistant coaches landed top recruits. We saw what happened when our assistants left elsewhere..
To be fair nothing backs this up. Miller hasn't proven that he can touch the level of success crean had here. Even if miller had the same teams crean had you aren't winning outright big ten if you can't make free throws or shoot 3 s. At this point I put those two problems on archie because it has been a constant mainstay. I like archie I want him to succeed but he isn't even in creans area code yet at indiana

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, schoosier said:

That's as much of an indictment as anything is.  If a coach as wildly mediocre as Crean is better, you have no business coaching at this level.

Crean went T-7th, T-8th, and T-10th in three of his last four seasons at IU. His other season in that period he was 1st in the conference. 

In Archie’s four seasons, he’s gone T-6th, 9th, T-10th, and right now he’s T-8th. 

If he’s a better coach than Crean, it’s not showing up on the floor. Not only does Archie not have Crean’s high-end seasons, but also his IU career as a whole is similar to Crean’s down years. We ended up firing Crean for being inconsistent and hiring a guy who replicates Crean’s down years without having any good years.