Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I just don't want to embarrass anyone else. 

I, and likely many others, desperately hope you take your coaching talents to either Purdue or Kentucky some day. Please let me know if I can ever put a word in. I may even proactively do it. Thank me later. 

There’s a middle ground where most of us can agree:

1. Archie coached a perfectly fine game against NW but it wasn’t perfect

2. a coach bears much responsibility for the things that went poorly for IU in that game: roster/personnel, slow starts, player confidence/motivation, bad and regressive offense. Lots of this happens out of our sight but we see results

3. Overall the results have not met any reasonable standard at IU, this year and through Archie’s whole tenure

4. winning cures a lot. I’ve been clear about my preference on all this but I think it’s fair to say there’s a version of this season that ends well enough to give those of us skeptical some optimism.

9 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I, and likely many others, desperately hope you take your coaching talents to either Purdue or Kentucky some day. Please let me know if I can ever put a word in. I may even proactively do it. Thank me later. 

I would need several trash cans to throw up in as I remind myself where I was coaching. 

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Hire Steve Alford already so we can all stop watching IU basketball together! 

I hope everyone has a new hobby picked out by now when Steve takes over. 

We joke, but there's a kernel of truth here.

In 2017 I was terrified we would hire Alford and I would have to stop following IU basketball. Now it's like "we might hire Alford, but on the bright side, that means I can stop following IU basketball."

4 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

We joke, but there's a kernel of truth here.

In 2017 I was terrified we would hire Alford and I would have to stop following IU basketball. Now it's like "we might hire Alford, but on the bright side, that means I can stop following IU basketball."

No one else is coming here. Steve probably already looking for houses on the south side of Bloomington. 

Im being serious when I say I won’t watch IU basketball anymore if he comes to IU. I’d rather have CTC back and that makes me want to throw up. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

No one else is coming here. Steve probably already looking for houses on the south side of Bloomington. 

Im being serious when I say I won’t watch IU basketball anymore if he comes to IU. I’d rather have CTC back and that makes me want to throw up. 

Dane Fife probably wouldn't say no, if he's wanting to be a head coach again. If it came down to him or Steve, I'd take Fife in a heartbeat. He's one of the few people out there that was around when being an Indiana Hoosier still meant something. I just want no part of Steve. If we needed to wait 4 or 5 years to truly judge Archie, I'd hate to think how long it'd take to reserve judgement on Alford as there's no way he'd land 3 straight Mr Basketballs from Indiana

4 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Same boat here. And I know we’re definitely not the only ones. I love IU basketball and it’s one of my biggest passions but I would absolutely hang it up as a fan if Alford was the hire 

29 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Holtmann has his team ranked #4 in the country in year 4. Underwood has his team ranked #6 in the country in year 4. Our coach hasn’t had us ranked in over two years. How did we end up with the dud of the group. 

The problem is hiring based on literally one deep tournament run. I didn’t want Underwood and did want Holtmann. They both had high-major success prior. Compare the year-over-year Kenpom or Torvik numbers to Arch pre-hire and it’s easy to see why we missed

2 minutes ago, lillurk said:

The problem is hiring based on literally one deep tournament run. I didn’t want Underwood and did want Holtmann. They both had high-major success prior. Compare the year-over-year Kenpom or Torvik numbers to Arch pre-hire and it’s easy to see why we missed

Yep the fact that Archie had the first seed in his conference tourney 4 years in a row and couldn’t win it was a huge red flag to me 

For those who really feel it should be an IU guy, review A. J. Guyton's twitter account.  He's very active on Twitter and I think he'd be in Bloomington in seconds if there was an opportunity to be a part of our program.   This is one of his tweets from earlier today in response to this tweet:  They (IU) need some one who knows the History and Know how of what IU Basketball was made of .

A.J.'s response:  Tried that, it’s been clear, they’re not bringing back anymore Knight guys.

@ajguyton

For those who really feel it should be an IU guy, review A. J. Guyton's twitter account.  He's very active on Twitter and I think he'd be in Bloomington in seconds if there was an opportunity to be a part of our program.   This is one of his tweets from earlier today in response to this tweet:  They (IU) need some one who knows the History and Know how of what IU Basketball was made of .
A.J.'s response:  Tried that, it’s been clear, they’re not bringing back anymore Knight guys.

I like AJ. Would LOVE have him somewhere on the bench. We need a coach and a recruiter.

Archie ain’t it!

Give anyone else a chance. Archie ball is painful, and that includes the wins.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Magisterium said:

not sure who "the next Archie Miller" is, but I assume that's what we would get if Dolson pulls the plug in March, 2022.

just hope it's a less expensive version next time around.....

They'll give an 8-9 year contract to a coach that will undoubtedly prove to not good enough within 4 years, and keep said coach around for 6-7.  In part because they'll place too much emphasis on youth instead of what that coach has actually shown.

Glass can't screw it up, so I guess there's some solace there.

7 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm sorta perplexed by this whole "We need an IU guy" argument -- on twitter, here and everywhere else.

"Some one who knows the History and Know how of what IU Basketball was made of." 

What the hell does that even mean? 

First of all, there are no "IU guys" who are capable of taking over the program. Alford? No. Woodson? No. Wittman? No. Smart? Meh. Isiah? Please. I could see taking a flyer on Fife -- maybe -- but that's it.

Hey, Pat Knight's an IU guy -- should we hire him? 

I guarantee you that Sampson, Crean, Miller -- they're very well aware of the history of IU basketball. They just didn't work or are not working out. One because of cheating (though it's not cheating any longer), one because he was very weird and mediocre and the third because so far, he's been very mediocre. 

Knight wasn't even an "IU guy" when he came to B-town. Cal isn't a "Kentucky guy." K isn't a "Duke guy." Few isn't a "Gonzaga guy." Wright isn't a "Villanova guy." ... You get the picture. 

This notion is preposterous, and needs to be put to rest once and for all. We don't need an "IU guy." We need the "right guy." 

Dane Fife and Steve Alford are the names I’m seeing today from the general fans on FB and Twitter.

8 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Knight wasn't even an "IU guy" when he came to B-town. Cal isn't a "Kentucky guy." K isn't a "Duke guy." Few isn't a "Gonzaga guy." Wright isn't a "Villanova guy." ... You get the picture. 

This notion is preposterous, and needs to be put to rest once and for all. We don't need an "IU guy." We need the "right guy." 

Cal was definitely a Kentucky guy. Kentucky's been committing violations before they discovered running water.