Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

Likely not the place for this question/post, but is anyone aware if NCAA or any site tracks Division 1 fast break points per game. I haven't been able to find anything at all on it and all I've found is the NBA stats. Been itching to know where we stack up. We play at a slower pace than say Gonzaga, but would love to know where we land in that stat.

Edit: While there are plenty of issues and I fully realize this wouldn't instantly make us a top 10 team, I just can't help but wonder why we don't look for it. With how bad we can shoot it at times I'm baffled we don't look for it outside of maybe Lander

See if the hoop math data helps answer your hypothesis: https://hoop-math.com/Indiana2021.php

27 minutes ago, lillurk said:

See if the hoop math data helps answer your hypothesis: https://hoop-math.com/Indiana2021.php

Thank you so much! That does actually. According to this IU is ranked 297th in the country with our % of shots coming in transition at 19.8% and 207th in % on those shots in transition at 53.3%.  

For some perspective Gonzaga is 4th and 9th in those same statistics. I've bookmarked this site as I'm a bit of a stat nerd. Thanks again, love this already 

1 hour ago, kreigh8 said:

Thank you so much! That does actually. According to this IU is ranked 297th in the country with our % of shots coming in transition at 19.8% and 207th in % on those shots in transition at 53.3%.  

For some perspective Gonzaga is 4th and 9th in those same statistics. I've bookmarked this site as I'm a bit of a stat nerd. Thanks again, love this already 

Which is crazy since Archie wants us to score in transition. 

1 hour ago, kreigh8 said:

Kenpom tracks tempo as well.  Not the exact stat but glad someone could find what you wanted.

IU is 303 in adjT on the season.. fun

To answer your previous question, I believe we don't run because Archie is afraid our ATO (assists to  opponents) would go through the roof.  He might also be thinking he wants TJD (should be our biggest advantage on offense) to get a touch every time down.  I completely understand the downfall to this argument.

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I've wondered if we'd run more if Lander ever got regular minutes. We've had opportunities, but Phinisee always approaches half-court like he's about to run onto an ice rink without skates. 

Its true. Rob looks to be in slow motion most of the time which aint good for a point guard.

Yeah, even with Lander in we’re not getting out in transition.
In the Rutgers game, Rutgers scored down on the block, Hunter was right there for the inbound and got it in to Lander pretty quickly, who had circled back down for an easy entry as everyone headed up court. Lander got the inbound and raced up court. By the time he got to half court he had already passed Al and was about to leave TJD and Arman in his dust. Hard to push tempo when you’re the only one making the effort to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

11 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Which is crazy since Archie wants us to score in transition. 

My CEO always says he want's 20% growth, year after year, but never has a plan on how to do it. I always think, "yeah, who doesn't?"

Wonder if this is the same. To say, I want us to score in transition, I want to shoot 75% from the free throw line, I want to shoot 40% from 3 - everyone wants that. The guy in charge has to come up with a good, executable plan on how to achieve those things. If he has, I haven't seen the players get it yet.

19 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

I’m under the impression a lot on this board only watch IU games. Just funny

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not entirely, I watch some other games, but I only CARE about IU. Kentucky lost last night again (yay!) and has looked lost all year. Does anyone say "Cal can't coach!"? No, because he has a history of winning big. I wouldn't judge a coach on one game or even a stretch in a given year. Things happen. But after 4 seasons it's fair to draw conclusions. Archie hasn't done well in conference. His wins are ugly and  he is consistently beaten. If that is getting out-coached, out-recruited or whatever, at the end of the day, does it matter why he's losing? Win. Games. Now Archie- or go someplace else. That is my feeling. 

Not entirely, I watch some other games, but I only CARE about IU. Kentucky lost last night again (yay!) and has looked lost all year. Does anyone say "Cal can't coach!"? No, because he has a history of winning big. I wouldn't judge a coach on one game or even a stretch in a given year. Things happen. But after 4 seasons it's fair to draw conclusions. Archie hasn't done well in conference. His wins are ugly and  he is consistently beaten. If that is getting out-coached, out-recruited or whatever, at the end of the day, does it matter why he's losing? Win. Games. Now Archie- or go someplace else. That is my feeling. 
Which is why no one who thought he deserved credit for his end of game coaching has said he shouldn't be fired. His overall body of work is still negative.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Anyone that has ever coached will tell you to call a timeout to make sure everyone is on the same page. Also to let the officials know what you are going to do. That's why it wasn't and shouldn't have been called a shooting foul. Officials know that no one is attempting a half-court shot when there is time left. Same reason they don't call an intentional foul on a breakaway layup. 

And every coach is incredibly stupid for doing so. If you haven't practiced that, you're not doing your job. If your senior guard can't relay what you're doing after FTs in a pre FT huddle, you're not doing your job. If refs aren't calling a shooting foul just because a coach tells them they are going to foul, the ref isn't doing their job. And we are lucky B1G officials are so stupid. 

26 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And every coach is incredibly stupid for doing so. If you haven't practiced that, you're not doing your job. If your senior guard can't relay what you're doing after FTs in a pre FT huddle, you're not doing your job. If refs aren't calling a shooting foul just because a coach tells them they are going to foul, the ref isn't doing their job. And we are lucky B1G officials are so stupid. 

That's the equivalent of not re-training and re-enforcing an important policy to a business staff because you've already told them and thereafter if they screw up it's their fault. In buttoned-up law enforcement the deadly force policy is re-enforced quarterly, and immediately prior to every arrest scenario. 

In basketball? "Let's review exactly how we're gonna handle this situation with ten seconds left in a tie game" is that equivalent.

Man, I really believe you have all the answers. Why aren't you coaching at one of the blue bloods or the NBA?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

That's the equivalent of not re-training and re-enforcing an important policy to a business staff because you've already told them and thereafter if they screw up it's their fault. In buttoned-up law enforcement the deadly force policy is re-enforced quarterly, and immediately prior to every arrest scenario. 

In basketball? "Let's review exactly how we're gonna handle this situation with ten seconds left in a tie game" is that equivalent.

You should already be talking about it as the game goes down to the wire with your assistant coaches and down the stretch as FTs are shot. Pulling Phinisee over as Al shoots FTs and letting the team know what to do. You don't give a terrible team with zero timeouts, a free timeout. It's one thing in coaching that needs to go away.