Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

He didn't just out coach him, he smacked him around like a rag doll. The in-game coaching last night was good as it gets. If you've never set on a bench you probably won't understand but last night was a masterclass on coaching. If we're going to rip him on the bad ones you have to say it also on the good nights. Last night was excellant. 

Should we call him Tommy Naismith lol? He’s now 3-8 after beating a ranked team in year 4 and it took 2 OT’s to beat a terrible NW team. He has not beaten our biggest rival and has not been to the dance albeit I think we would have gone last year. I will applaud him for this win but I think Saturday’s game will give us a better idea of Archie’s ceiling.

Should we call him Tommy Naismith lol? He’s now 3-8 after beating a ranked team in year 4 and it took 2 OT’s to beat a terrible NW team. He has not beaten our biggest rival and has not been to the dance albeit I think we would have gone last year. I will applaud him for this win but I think Saturday’s game will give us a better idea of Archie’s ceiling.
Saying he did a good job in 1 game doesn't mean he shouldn't be gone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

He didn't just out coach him, he smacked him around like a rag doll. The in-game coaching last night was good as it gets. If you've never set on a bench you probably won't understand but last night was a masterclass on coaching. If we're going to rip him on the bad ones you have to say it also on the good nights. Last night was excellant. 

Agreed you have to recognize the good with the bad. As tempting as it is to complain about scoring 20pts in the 1st half against a bad NW team that completely shut down IU's best player....I won't do that and will only say the whole body of work still doesn't inspire confidence. The same issues keep cropping up game after game and year after year. 

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

This is good to hear... and I mean that with all sincerity. It makes me feel better.

I didn't get to watch the game due to prior obligations. But what I have read is that it took us 5 minutes to score a point and managed only 54 points in regulation to one of the least-effective defenses in the Big Ten while we were trailing the vast majority of the game. Our best player looks to have been held in-check most of the night. If Archie was smacking Collins on the sideline... how bad was Collins? If Archie coached a masterful game and we could barely escape with a 3-point double-OT win against the 13th place team in the Big Ten... then it probably means the talent level on our team is only on par or below Northwestern. From a logical standpoint I would think if we were more talented than Northwestern, then that fact plus masterful coaching would equal more than a 3 point victory. So then it would lead me to believe we are at a talent disadvantage... and that would be another issue. But as you said, I never sat on a bench before. And there are many people who know a lot more about the game of basketball than I do.

I guess when I think of in-game coaching that is as good as it gets, I think of something more along the lines of what Matt Painter did to us earlier this year. Or at any point in time over the last five years.

But I am very glad they came away with the victory and that it seems like Archie has found a groove. Hopefully that propels this team into many more wins as the season draws to a close. I do believe Archie has the potential to be a successful coach in the Big Ten.

Everything went wrong for IU.

Many many things went right for NW.

We won anyway.

That’s largely coaching. Not just in X’s and O’s; though it was certainly there—we completely dominated the strategic narrative in the last two minutes of regulation and both overtimes.

It’s also in recruiting and mentally preparing mentally strong and focused players that know what to do without a coach in their ear.

The ultimate example for me was Armaan Franklin (no surprise—it’s a constant theme of excellence with him).

When we tied it in regulation we had three fouls to give and there were (I think) about 12 seconds left. NW inbounded without taking a time out. Armaan let NW get across half court and waited until 6.3 seconds left to commit the first foul. Because of that, by the time we committed the third free foul Northwestern only had about three seconds left to hurl a desperation buzzer shot, which they badly missed.

There was no coaching in a huddle that put Franklin in that perfect state of mind to execute; we recruited a very savvy player, and that savvy player was prepared by the coaching staff to do the right thing with no instruction needed.

IU did not beat Northwestern because Archie out-coached Collins. Poor IU coaching was particularly on display during the first 5 minutes when IU failed to score. This is a chronic problem. Once again Archie failed to get the team ready to play from the start. But there were other examples of poor coaching on Archie's part. Whenever TJD was double teamed, he needed to get the ball to the open man. But repeatedly he held on to the ball or passed it to another player who was not open. Making sure a shooter is open to receive a pass from a double-teamed TJD and having TJD pass to that player is a chronic problem with IU this year.  IU was very fortunate to win Wednesday and it happened mostly because Northwestern put IU's best free-throw shooters on the line when it counted. That and an off-balanced shot by Durham that got us into overtime and another lucky shot by Durham that got us into the second overtime.

7 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

IU did not beat Northwestern because Archie out-coached Collins. Poor IU coaching was particularly on display during the first 5 minutes when IU failed to score. This is a chronic problem. Once again Archie failed to get the team ready to play from the start. But there were other examples of poor coaching on Archie's part. Whenever TJD was double teamed, he needed to get the ball to the open man. But repeatedly he held on to the ball or passed it to another player who was not open. Making sure a shooter is open to receive a pass from a double-teamed TJD and having TJD pass to that player is a chronic problem with IU this year.  IU was very fortunate to win Wednesday and it happened mostly because Northwestern put IU's best free-throw shooters on the line when it counted. That and an off-balanced shot by Durham that got us into overtime and another lucky shot by Durham that got us into the second overtime.

per usual, you are lost. But thanks for the entertainment

18 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I can’t wait for the days where people view a win for a win and it isn’t a pissing match on who out coached who.   He gets credit for this but not credit for that.    Masterful might of been a strong word to describe his coaching last night but my goodness people come on now.   We are better then this aren’t we?     Someone calling IU lucky for Northwestern fouling IU’s best players...what?   Give credit to IU players and coaches for making northwestern foul their best foul shooters.  That’s the goal at the end of the game.   The other teams tries to win these games also.   I’m guessing not 1 coach is going to apologize for winning they way IU won last night and nor should they.    Heck of a lot better coaches then Archie struggle against teams like northwestern.  I watch it every night.  

I can't wait for the days for when people view losses and losses. When "good losses" aren't a thing. Yea... Those will be nice days. 

Better coaches struggle against Northwestern? Is that why Northwestern hasn't won a game in 2021? Most of their losses have been by double digits. I credit Armaan and Al for a gutty late game performance and for hitting free throws. In fact, I have been a consistent supporter of Al's when others have trashed him. I credit Jerome with some great clutch shots after missing a couple of games. But to think that IU's win over Northwestern was anything but lucky is delusional. But we've been unlucky in several losses this season so it is good to see some luck shining our way for once. And, I hope to keep IUc2016 entertained.

N

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I can't wait for the days for when people view losses and losses. When "good losses" aren't a thing. Yea... Those will be nice days. 

Good luck with that one.    This Saturday watch the committee top 16 reveal and see how many times it comes up.    During football when they were discussing teams this was brought up when viewing different teams.    

I won’t hold my breath on the wins thing and I wouldn’t hold your breath on the losses thing 

1 minute ago, Honkyman said:

Better coaches struggle against Northwestern? Is that why Northwestern hasn't won a game in 2021? Most of their losses have been by double digits. I credit Armaan and Al for a gutty late game performance and for hitting free throws. In fact, I have been a consistent supporter of Al's when others have trashed him. I credit Jerome with some great clutch shots after missing a couple of games. But to think that IU's win over Northwestern was anything but lucky is delusional. But we've been unlucky in several losses this season so it is good to see some luck shining our way for once. And, I hope to keep IUc2016 entertained.

Yes better coaches have lost to Northwestern.    Better coaches have struggled with northwestern and have “stolen” a win.    But to think that doesn’t happen is delusional.    Collins “outcoached” (overused word) painter for 38 min last year.   Purdue goes on a run at the end of the game and avoids a home loss to a 3 win Northwestern team.  Painter was masterful in those last 2 mins when northwestern gave the game away.  

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

N

Good luck with that one.    This Saturday watch the committee top 16 reveal and see how many times it comes up.    During football when they were discussing teams this was brought up when viewing different teams.    

I won’t hold my breath on the wins thing and I wouldn’t hold your breath on the losses thing 

It's the nature of things now. Coddling and trying not to hurt feelings. 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It's the nature of things now. Coddling and trying not to hurt feelings. 

Bad losses and good losses have been around for as long as I’ve been doing bracketology.   2001 if I remembering right 

4 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

OK. Uspshoosier. You've made your point. Painter is a better coach than Archie. Archie lost to Northwestern by 7 points instead of just 3.

Painter is a better coach then Archie. That’s not debatable.  So is izzo who lost by 14 to this same northwestern team.   Buckeyes also lost by 1 to this northwestern team.    
it happens it’s college basketball

Painter is a better coach then Archie. That’s not debatable.  So is izzo who lost by 14 to this same northwestern team.   Buckeyes also lost by 1 to this northwestern team.    
it happens it’s college basketball

I’m under the impression a lot on this board only watch IU games. Just funny

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Bad losses and good losses have been around for as long as I’ve been doing bracketology.   2001 if I remembering right 

I don't remember it ever being so prevalent. As in it being such a big topic point. It's a resume builder now to have "good losses." Used to if you lost, you just threw that game out almost unless it was to a really bad team. 

12 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I’m under the impression a lot on this board only watch IU games. Just funny

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

^^This is an underrated post^^

Watch other games for awhile, or even read other successful teams' message boards. 

EVERY coach has lots of "what was he thinking" thoughts going his way, and even more "why aren't we destroying ____?!? (fill in name of mediocre opponent)"

On the one hand, that's why I don't get upset when I see it here--I understand it's part of the territory.

On the other hand, I realize it's largely an empty argument.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don't remember it ever being so prevalent. As in it being such a big topic point. It's a resume builder now to have "good losses." Used to if you lost, you just threw that game out almost unless it was to a really bad team. 

It’s more prevalent now because projecting the field is big business and it’s on every major outlet now.  Someone has a bracketologist to break them down  People were projecting the field way before if was called bracketology.  There was always good and bad losses when it came to picking the field just no one cared to know what went into picking them.   I will give Lunardi credit for making it as big as he did.