Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Crappy teams have been getting ranked all year (except us). Minnesota was ranked last week and they're 4-7 in the Big Ten right now. 

I think Missouri is good. Helps they play in the SEC. But they've figured out how to win without shooting the 3. Cuonzo Martin do his best coaching job. 

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think Missouri is good. Helps they play in the SEC. But they've figured out how to win without shooting the 3. Cuonzo Martin do his best coaching job. 

Martin’s not the guy for IU but he’s a good object lesson in why IU needs to move on even if we don’t know yet who the successor is.

Martin took over an 8 win team the same offseason Archie took over here.

Point being: nobody thinks of Cuonzo Martin as a top-tier coach, but he’s at a harder job than IU and started with less. (And he’s already been to one tourney at Mizzou.) There are lots of coaches who could do better.

7 hours ago, lillurk said:

The offense runs zero plays to free shooters, all the action is designed inside. (You don’t have to believe me, Tony Adragna, who runs IU Film Room, said it on Crimson Cast.)

That’s bad.

Someone tell Arch 3s are worth 50% more than 2s.

This is a huge issue.  The goal of any offense should be to get their players in position to take the shots they're most comfortable with and shoot the best percentage.  I've watched enough college basketball this season with offenses designed to get players shots from their spot.  Currently watching Wiscy @ Ill.  Trice's spot is elbow extended, he takes a ton of shots from there and I would guess has a great percentage from there because he probably practices it a ton.

What are the spots for our players?  Al has hit some shots in that same range but doesn't have offense that frees him for that shot.  What about other players?  There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for the offense besides 1) get it to the post and 2) do something from there.  We do get open looks but do we get open looks in the correct spots with the correct players taking those shots?  Fixing this could solve a lot of problems.

Just now, lillurk said:

Martin’s not the guy for IU but he’s a good object lesson in why IU needs to move on even if we don’t know yet who the successor is.

Martin took over an 8 win team the same offseason Archie took over here.

Point being: nobody thinks of Cuonzo Martin as a top-tier coach, but he’s at a harder job than IU and started with less. (And he’s already been to one tourney at Mizzou.) There are lots of coaches who could do better.

Martin is very good.  Shame the places he’s been at have been crappy to him.

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Martin is very good.  Shame the places he’s been at have been crappy to him.

Yes, agreed he’s good and has gotten a raw deal a couple times. Missouri seems like it could be a long-term fit.

I didn’t mean to suggest he wasn’t good, simply that there are lots of good coaches out there.

46 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

If he wants the job, I’m all for Thad Matta.  Still just 53.  Lives in Indy right now.  But a lot of people around him think he’s not really looking to coach again yet.

Just curious, where did you hear that? He was close to accepting the Georgia job when. He ultimately decided not to take it and the university settled for Crean. Then in Oct./Nov. Wichita State was pursuing him when Marshall was forced out before the season began. 

It seems he is entertaining offers. 

On 2/4/2021 at 3:16 PM, Stuhoo said:

Very much disagree. While it won't "scare them," it is a contract guarantee that any in-demand coach can get, and they'd be downright crazy not to insist on a long contract with a big buyout.

"Hey Chris Beard, IU Basketball calling. We know that the IU and UK jobs just opened and you're considering both. UK is offering $7.5 million guaranteed for eight years, and IU $8 million for four years. Which do you prefer? What?!?  ... Don't you have confidence in your abilities?"

"Click."

I doubt if Chris Beard would even take a phone call from IU at this point in time

3 hours ago, ziggyiu said:

Just curious, where did you hear that? He was close to accepting the Georgia job when. He ultimately decided not to take it and the university settled for Crean. Then in Oct./Nov. Wichita State was pursuing him when Marshall was forced out before the season began. 

It seems he is entertaining offers. 

It was an article on Matta when Wichita State was pursuing him.  I think the jist was more that the Universities were more inquiring than he was looking and that he still seemed content being home with his family.

Hope he does come back and he would consider the IU job.  Of course we all know the most likely situation is one we don't want.....and Archie is back for another year.

4 hours ago, lillurk said:

Yes, agreed he’s good and has gotten a raw deal a couple times. Missouri seems like it could be a long-term fit.

I didn’t mean to suggest he wasn’t good, simply that there are lots of good coaches out there.

I didn't take your post to mean that he wasn't good.  

I began to wonder about coaches like Matta and other former/current coaches in the B1G. The question I had was if there was a precedent for a B1G coach either switching schools, coming back after retirement, or coming back after being employed outside the conference, and going to a different team within the B1G? I can’t remember an instance which makes me think guys like Matta and Beilein would both be unattainable on simple principle. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I began to wonder about coaches like Matta and other former/current coaches in the B1G. The question I had was if there was a precedent for a B1G coach either switching schools, coming back after retirement, or coming back after being employed outside the conference, and going to a different team within the B1G? I can’t remember an instance which makes me think guys like Matta and Beilein would both be unattainable on simple principle. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Of the 2 I could see Beilein taking the IU job before I could see Matta taking it.   Archie and Matta are good friends and Archie was his assistant.  I don’t see anyway way  Matta would want to replace one of his old assistants after he was fired 

Of the 2 I could see Beilein taking the IU job before I could see Matta taking it.   Archie and Matta are good friends and Archie was his assistant.  I don’t see anyway way  Matta would want to replace one of his old assistants after he was fired 

Has it ever happened though? Has anyone ever been the head coach of two different basketball programs within the Big Ten conference? I don’t think it has ever happened to my knowledge. At least not in the modern era.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Has it ever happened though? Has anyone ever been the head coach of two different basketball programs within the Big Ten conference? I don’t think it has ever happened to my knowledge. At least not in the modern era.

Good question I will dig a little deeper.  Closet off the top of my head would be Gary Willams coached Ohio St and Maryland but Maryland was in the ACC at the time 

17 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

That's easy -- Sharon "The Traitor" Versyp! ... Oh, I bet you were referring to men's programs. 

18 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Good question I will dig a little deeper.  Closet off the top of my head would be Gary Willams coached Ohio St and Maryland but Maryland was in the ACC at the time 

A fellow named Harold Olsen coached at Ohio State (1922-46; damn -- that's a long time) and Northwestern (1950-52). I haven't found anyone else.