Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

58 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Off topic, but it does deal with the OSU/Iowa game, but Musa Jallow rivals Lander as the worst result of a player reclassifying to to come in early.  Now three years into his career and he's still a career less than 3 ppg game guy.

A bit premature to be saying anything about Landers decision. He was never going to walk in and be on a Vonleh level. 

16 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I have a feeling that Washington will be looking for a new coach soon... Maybe they just hire Archie away from us so he can go coach against his broski. We can dream right?

It will be interesting to see who hires Archie next. 

So I looked it up and Minnesota has one more road game before they play us: at Maryland, who sucks at home. Maybe they can steal that one. 

On the flip side, "Minnesota beats IU, wins first road game" would be another significant nail in Archie's coffin, along with Minnesota becoming the 12th different Big Ten team to beat us in Assembly Hall in the Archie era. 

32 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

oh, He will easily get a big-time job right after Indiana. If Crean can go to Georgia, then Archie will have his choice of suitors. 

Yeah he is still  only  42.    Most of the coaches mentioned with him have a good 7 years on him.   I thought it would have  gone better here.  Even with the slow start I always thought he would figure it out while being here but that’s looking less likely.   If he doesn’t figure it out here I really believe he will someplace else and have a good run 

35 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

oh, He will easily get a big-time job right after Indiana. If Crean can go to Georgia, then Archie will have his choice of suitors. 

I agree that Archie will land somewhere decent but in Creans case the hiring committee at the football school (Georgia) was at least able to tell themselves that he won the Big Ten 2 of his last 5 years.  
What would that same committee think in regards to Archie’s power 5 results? His best finish was 9-9 in conference with all Crean players? Hey, at least he has settled into a consistent 8th-10th in the Big Ten? There isn’t a whole lot there.

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

A bit premature to be saying anything about Landers decision. He was never going to walk in and be on a Vonleh level. 

He reclassified to be a guy who shoots 30%, can’t play defense, and averages 2points per game.  That’s more than just “not Vonleh”.  He’s not even what Phinisee was as a freshman.

46 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree that Archie will land somewhere decent but in Creans case the hiring committee at the football school (Georgia) was at least able to tell themselves that he won the Big Ten 2 of his last 5 years.  
What would that same committee think in regards to Archie’s power 5 results? His best finish was 9-9 in conference with all Crean players? Hey, at least he has settled into a consistent 8th-10th in the Big Ten? There isn’t a whole lot there.

He’ll likely get a Dayton type of job again.  He certainly had success at that level.  And the fact is that he replaced the guy that won 3 big ten titles in five years based on his success at Dayton.

29 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

He reclassified to be a guy who shoots 30%, can’t play defense, and averages 2points per game.  That’s more than just “not Vonleh”.  He’s not even what Phinisee was as a freshman.

Phinisee got 27 mpg as a freshman. If Lander was actually given opportunities early in the season he’d be in a much better position than he’s in right now. Instead, Archie brought him in just so he could play him 7 mpg and rarely give him a chance to prove what he can do during games. There was a 9 game stretch over a month where he never played more than 6 minutes, and only played more than 4 minutes once. Archie isn’t going to be able to get top guards to come here when they have results like this. Which is weird because he was a guard himself. First there was Romeo, who Archie couldn’t figure things out with, and now there’s Lander. If I was a top guard recruit, there’s no way I’d consider coming to IU.

Archie has a habit of putting in dudes who don’t play much, seeing those players play well, saying “we need to find them more minutes,” and then not doing it. For example, Geronimo played 10 huge minutes against Iowa. Archie says we need to “find” him more minutes. He played 6 the next game against Rutgers. Like, Archie, you’re the dude in charge of distributing minutes. Idk how he decides who plays, but it’s not based on game performance. Guarantee Phinisee gets 25+ minutes in the next game despite his epic 0/0/0 foul out performance last game. 

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Phinisee got 27 mpg as a freshman. If Lander was actually given opportunities early in the season he’d be in a much better position than he’s in right now. Instead, Archie brought him in just so he could play him 7 mpg and rarely give him a chance to prove what he can do during games. There was a 9 game stretch over a month where he never played more than 6 minutes, and only played more than 4 minutes once. Archie isn’t going to be able to get top guards to come here when they have results like this. Which is weird because he was a guard himself. First there was Romeo, who Archie couldn’t figure things out with, and now there’s Lander. If I was a top guard recruit, there’s no way I’d consider coming to IU.

Archie has a habit of putting in dudes who don’t play much, seeing those players play well, saying “we need to find them more minutes,” and then not doing it. For example, Geronimo played 10 huge minutes against Iowa. Archie says we need to “find” him more minutes. He played 6 the next game against Rutgers. Like, Archie, you’re the dude in charge of distributing minutes. Idk how he decides who plays, but it’s not based on game performance. Guarantee Phinisee gets 25+ minutes in the next game despite his epic 0/0/0 foul out performance last game. 

Seems to be a lot of revision on Lander going on right now because he hit a couple of shots (literally....a couple of shots).  He's not very good right now.  The limbo bar that's been set for him most people can walk under.  A guy who isn't very good shouldn't be playing.  If he were, then the same people would be critizing him for throwing Lander on the court.

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He also has to work around the 30 mpg set aside for Durham every game. 

17 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Seems to be a lot of revision on Lander going on right now because he hit a couple of shots (literally....a couple of shots).  He's not very good right now.  The limbo bar that's been set for him most people can walk under.  A guy who isn't very good shouldn't be playing.  If he were, then the same people would be critizing him for throwing Lander on the court.

Doubtful. This team isn’t going anywhere. When you’ve got a team that isn’t going anywhere, it makes no sense to sit your 5 star freshman and play two mediocre guards in Phinisee and Durham 25+ mpg. Durham is playing 33 mpg. What does he do on the court that warrants that much playing time? Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller never even played that much at IU. 

Lander was the #1 point guard in his class. The experts didn’t whiff that bad. He’s had flashes that demonstrate his positives. He has massive hands. He’s very quick. He plays north/south instead of east/west. And he’d be much further along right now if Archie had consistently played him up to this point. Instead, he treated him like some ~150 recruit and played him spot minutes behind two guards with no playmaking abilities who are shooting 39% and 40% from the field. 

And sure, Lander sucks at defense right now. Offense is more important than defense in basketball. We’ve lost games where we’ve only given up 57, 59 55 points because we straight up couldn’t score. Hell, we lost to Purdue two years ago despite only giving up 48, yes 48, points! A good defense is obviously a good thing. But it’s only so helpful when you can’t take advantage and put the ball in the basket yourself. Archie’s obsession with defense is killing us.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Doubtful. This team isn’t going anywhere. When you’ve got a team that isn’t going anywhere, it makes no sense to sit your 5 star freshman and play two mediocre guards in Phinisee and Durham 25+ mpg. Durham is playing 33 mpg. What does he do on the court that warrants that much playing time? Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller never even played that much at IU. 

Lander was the #1 point guard in his class. The experts didn’t whiff that bad. He’s had flashes that demonstrate his positives. He has massive hands. He’s very quick. He plays north/south instead of east/west. And he’d be much further along right now if Archie had consistently played him up to this point. Instead, he treated him like some ~150 recruit and played him spot minutes behind two guards with no playmaking abilities who are shooting 39% and 40% from the field. 

Hoping Lander is a faster progressing Scottie Wilbekin from Florida. Scottie entered Florida as a 17 year old and made a final 4 as a Sr as well as SEC POY. Lander left high school as a far better prospect - I'd love to see that type of progression, with better results than Scottie as a sophomore and beyond.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

He's barely 18, all those numbers will go up. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Archie has a habit of putting in dudes who don’t play much, seeing those players play well, saying “we need to find them more minutes,” and then not doing it. For example, Geronimo played 10 huge minutes against Iowa. Archie says we need to “find” him more minutes. He played 6 the next game against Rutgers.

This has been a major irritation to me.  

And sure, Lander sucks at defense right now. Offense is more important than defense in basketball. We’ve lost games where we’ve only given up 57, 59 55 points because we straight up couldn’t score. Hell, we lost to Purdue two years ago despite only giving up 48, yes 48, points! A good defense is obviously a good thing. But it’s only so helpful when you can’t take advantage and put the ball in the basket yourself. Archie’s obsession with defense is killing us.

Not when your offense is hitting 2 threes and the. Giving up 2 wide open threes and foul a three point shooter. The limited offense he has shown does not even come close to outweighing the lack of defense.

He has looked a lot better lately but still good enough to warrant more playing time. We are also not seeing what’s taking place in practice; I don’t care how much someone dislikes Archie, if lander was outplaying the other guards everyday in practice you can’t tell me Archie wouldn’t be playing him more. The fact is he’s just not that great right NOW and I’m not judging him for that, I still have expectations for him moving forward.

Also, i get tired of the well we’re not going anywhere might as well play your players that aren’t as good and get them experience. We’re in almost every game still, it’s not like if we tank there’s a number one draft pick we can get. Archie is still playing to win snd playing for his job, no coach is going to purposely play players or give excess minutes to players that aren’t going to help win the game at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app