Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I really hate that Ohio State didn't get the memo about it taking 5+ years to build a program. 

I noticed they average 77% at the free throw line, we average 64%. They lost 4 games, we have lost 8, three in OT. Now I blame Archie on this because we’ve shot in the 60’s all 4 of his years.

Just now, Chris007 said:

I noticed they average 77% at the free throw line, we average 64%. They lost 4 games, we have lost 8, three in OT. Now I blame Archie on this because we’ve shot in the 60’s all 4 of his years.

They have 2 guys over 90%

Folks can complain all they want about institutional support but the facts are that IU was able to get one of the “next big thing” coaches at the time, would pay to keep a successful coach, and has the conference’s highest recruiting budget.

It’s still a good job. USPS says best in conference, which I think is reasonable; it’s no worse than top 4 in conference (UM, MSU, OSU are the other contenders).

It’s not an easy job, but the idea that moving on from Archie requires you to have the perfect candidate ready to take the job is just wrong.

Beilein, Holtmann, Bennett, and Underwood had all succeeded in major conferences; Archie hadn’t. You can find a mid-major coach who could succeed, but having a famous brother and one elite eight run was too thin of a resume for me to be confident at the time.

Slightly off topic, but if we are looking for another Bob Knight, Nic Moore is free.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/ihsaa-investigating-after-basketball-coach-tosses-chair-at-players-referee/

Link is worth a view.  Background:  Nic Moore is a former Gary Bowman Academy player about ten years ago -- played on one of the teams that won the state title there.  Moore coaches at Gary Lighthouse.  There are currently four teams in Gary -- Lighthouse, Bowman, 21st Century, and West Side.  This season West Side is far and away the best team.  Lighthouse had played all three teams in the regular season and gotten blown out by West Side and 21st Century -- each by about 40 points -- and had beaten Bowman by 11.

On January 29th there was a Gary showcase event that had all four teams play at Bowman.  It wasn't a tournament.  The tournament directors wanted to set it up for West Side to play 21st Century and Bowman play Lighthouse as they thought that would produce the best matchups (although the truth was West Side would blow out any of the other three).  Moore object to this, saying that they were "trying to take Lighthouse's win against Bowman away" by making them beat them for a second time.  The tournament directors decided to do a random draw, but the same matchups were drawn.  Coaches were allowed to view the draw.

Moore was animated throughout the game and in the fourth quarter after a travel call, looks to be picking up a chair.  An assistant takes it from him.  Moore then runs to the other end of the bench, grabs another chair, and throws it on the court.  After getting ejected, he then picks up ANOTHER chair which the assistant takes from his hand.  Moore throws a ball on the court.  As he was taken off the court he was saying "I built this place!", referring to the fact they won a state title when they played there.  His team was down 73-65 when he was ejected and went on to lose 91-90.  

He was relieved of us duties Tuesday.

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What would our record be if we shot that %

Ah but would they be in the game and if they were would we strategically place them in the corner of the court away from the action?  

41 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Slightly off topic, but if we are looking for another Bob Knight, Nic Moore is free.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/ihsaa-investigating-after-basketball-coach-tosses-chair-at-players-referee/

Link is worth a view.  Background:  Nic Moore is a former Gary Bowman Academy player about ten years ago -- played on one of the teams that won the state title there.  Moore coaches at Gary Lighthouse.  There are currently four teams in Gary -- Lighthouse, Bowman, 21st Century, and West Side.  This season West Side is far and away the best team.  Lighthouse had played all three teams in the regular season and gotten blown out by West Side and 21st Century -- each by about 40 points -- and had beaten Bowman by 11.

On January 29th there was a Gary showcase event that had all four teams play at Bowman.  It wasn't a tournament.  The tournament directors wanted to set it up for West Side to play 21st Century and Bowman play Lighthouse as they thought that would produce the best matchups (although the truth was West Side would blow out any of the other three).  Moore object to this, saying that they were "trying to take Lighthouse's win against Bowman away" by making them beat them for a second time.  The tournament directors decided to do a random draw, but the same matchups were drawn.  Coaches were allowed to view the draw.

Moore was animated throughout the game and in the fourth quarter after a travel call, looks to be picking up a chair.  An assistant takes it from him.  Moore then runs to the other end of the bench, grabs another chair, and throws it on the court.  After getting ejected, he then picks up ANOTHER chair which the assistant takes from his hand.  Moore throws a ball on the court.  As he was taken off the court he was saying "I built this place!", referring to the fact they won a state title when they played there.  His team was down 73-65 when he was ejected and went on to lose 91-90.  

He was relieved of us duties Tuesday.

Wait...is that SMU Nic Moore?

25 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Wait...is that SMU Nic Moore?

NO!  That Nic Moore was from Warsaw I believe.  I was watching this game when it all happened.  I thought the officials were way too slow to react when the first chair was thrown.  To its credit Bowman Academy acted promptly.

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Holtman was on my short list, along with Archie Miller. 

It appears Holtman is doing better than Miller at the moment and in previous years LOL

A friends son played for Hoffman and from talking with them he was my top choice after hoping for Billy or Brad. The friend raved about Hoffman and felt they could reach out to him still and he would respond. 

11 hours ago, lillurk said:

By the way, OSU beat Iowa and shot 32 3s tonight. Meanwhile IU runs the offense of a 1994 middle school team coached by a moonlighting music teacher.

Iowa shot 32 3s as well....both teams hit 14.

Imagine hitting 14 threes and losing.  That's Iowa.

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

A friends son played for Hoffman and from talking with them he was my top choice after hoping for Billy or Brad. The friend raved about Hoffman and felt they could reach out to him still and he would respond. 

There's been too much talk of him not wanting to be a part of the craziness around IU basketball. Either that's true or it's just a rumor everyone wants to believe since he's not the coach. I'm unsure of the situation. 

Holtman and Archie were both mid major coaches that looked promising. However from the press conference Fred gave, I was certain Alford was our next guy. I was disappointed at first with the Archie hire as I wanted Billy D. But I attended his opening press conference, he appeared to be knowledgeable of the game of basketball. Just wish he could win here. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

There's been too much talk of him not wanting to be a part of the craziness around IU basketball. Either that's true or it's just a rumor everyone wants to believe since he's not the coach. I'm unsure of the situation. 

Holtman and Archie were both mid major coaches that looked promising. However from the press conference Fred gave, I was certain Alford was our next guy. I was disappointed at first with the Archie hire as I wanted Billy D. But I attended his opening press conference, he appeared to be knowledgeable of the game of basketball. Just wish he could win here. 

Billy D was never coming here.

22 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Who's Hoffman? 

28 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Off topic, but it does deal with the OSU/Iowa game, but Musa Jallow rivals Lander as the worst result of a player reclassifying to to come in early.  Now three years into his career and he's still a career less than 3 ppg game guy.

Jallow was never a D1 player.