Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Definitely not a myth.  Other coaches can point to recruits why would you go to X school when the coach recruiting you might not be there by the time you get on campus.   The school isn’t invested in the coach so why should you. 

Yea because a kid can never decommit.

Was he actually good? Like outside of the crack? Like if he wasnt a drug dealer, how good would be have been? Would we still have gotten Gordon? And how the hell do high school kids start selling crack? 

Yes, Bud Mackey would have been good if he stayed clean’

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yea because a kid can never decommit.

Kids can always decommit.   If a coach is recruiting classes beyond his extension my guess would be that he is not going to be around much longer.   That’s just the way recruiting works.   Contracts are made with this in mind.  It’s why you will never see a coach start out with a 3 year contract and it’s why coaches get extended for 1 or 2 years( when the school doesn’t extend longer) when their contract is nearly up.   After Crean won the B1G this last time he was pissed that they didn’t offer him extension after that.   Writing was on the wall then what IU’s direction was going to be.    Next year will be the year people will know IU’s direction. If Archie goes all of next year without at least a 2 year extension he isn’t going to be around.  If they give him a 1 or 2 year extension then they are giving him a little more rope 

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Any kid that commits while thinking “I can always decommit” is someone you do not want in your program.

Josh Smith never decommitted, but I would have taken him in a heartbeat. Trying to rack my brain on any verbals that "got away" and he was the closest thing I could remember.

48 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Definitely not a myth.  Other coaches can point to recruits why would you go to X school when the coach recruiting you might not be there by the time you get on campus.   The school isn’t invested in the coach so why should you. 

All the more reason to fire him as soon as this season is over

Is that even an option?
I was under the impression that a Booster couldn't earmark a donation like that.... unless it is something like naming rights to a building or something.... can a booster come in and say ok I have $15 million dollars that I will give you right this moment if you Fire Archie now... these funds are only to be used to pay for his Buyout, the Buyout of "Oats" (just as an example), and to pay "Oats" salary for the 1st year of his new contract.... Is that something that could conceivably be done?
I get that boosters may have some influence, may have the ear of the university/AD/President.... but do they really have a final say in anything?

OR is it something like I donate $15 million dollars every year, and I go tell them I am not donating anymore until Archie is gone... type situation?
I'm sure they could go against the booster's wishes but would have to assume they'd never see another dime if so

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Josh Smith never decommitted, but I would have taken him in a heartbeat. Trying to rack my brain on any verbals that "got away" and he was the closest thing I could remember.

I believe Trey Lyles verbaled, then backed out and picked -- of all places -- Kentucky.

JBJ verbaled, then decommitted, then recommitted -- mainly, I think, because after all the dust had settled, Calipari had given his spot away. 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I believe Trey Lyles committed, then backed out and picked -- of all places -- Kentucky.

JBJ committed, then decommitted, then recommitted -- mainly, I think, because after all the dust had settled, Calipari had given his spot away. 

Oh, good call. Trey Lyles college career wouldn't blow anyone away, but I'd have taken him too.

If I was Archie Miller I’d be embarrassed.

I’d also be rich and staring down the barrel of a 10 million dollar buyout.

IUBB is just plain sad. I can’t even enjoy the Tank Train.

I know one thing. Archie ain’t it! Prove me wrong.

Lolzzzzzz, that’s all I got.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I’m all for Archie succeeding but he needs to prove he can coach and win. Just as importantly, he needs to prove he can recruit to our needs and that hasn’t happened either. 

the worst thing that can happen is we sneak into the tourney, flame our, have little to nothing coming in recruiting wise and he gets extended 

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

If you have to extend a struggling coach so he can recruit, that's one good way to know you've got a dud on your hands. Which leaves you with two options: 1) Remove the struggling coach and bring in someone who won't face this problem, or 2) Throw more money at the struggling coach and hope he stops struggling. 

14 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

I agree with you, but IU has put themselves in the corner. Year 4 is nearly complete and IU has virtually nothing to show for Archie's tenure. Losing Big Ten record, 0 NCAA's, stalled recruiting. At some point you have to be honest and say this isn't working and there is no real expectation of change on the horizon. 

Pay now or pay later. Moral of the story is making the wrong hire is expensive and devastating to your program. 

10 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I agree with you, but IU has put themselves in the corner. Year 4 is nearly complete and IU has virtually nothing to show for Archie's tenure. Losing Big Ten record, 0 NCAA's, stalled recruiting. At some point you have to be honest and say this isn't working and there is no real expectation of change on the horizon. 

Pay now or pay later. Moral of the story is making the wrong hire is expensive and devastating to your program. 

Yep. Honestly anytime you hire a coach you should know where you are getting the buyout from. Only thing worse than hiring a bad coach is keeping one 

14 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Kids can always decommit.   If a coach is recruiting classes beyond his extension my guess would be that he is not going to be around much longer.   That’s just the way recruiting works.   Contracts are made with this in mind.  It’s why you will never see a coach start out with a 3 year contract and it’s why coaches get extended for 1 or 2 years( when the school doesn’t extend longer) when their contract is nearly up.   After Crean won the B1G this last time he was pissed that they didn’t offer him extension after that.   Writing was on the wall then what IU’s direction was going to be.    Next year will be the year people will know IU’s direction. If Archie goes all of next year without at least a 2 year extension he isn’t going to be around.  If they give him a 1 or 2 year extension then they are giving him a little more rope 

Then you fire him because absolutely has not earned the least bit of rope.