Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

15 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

What class was he in? I guess I don't remember him. But I was in the 7th grade when Sampson got here. 

Signed in 2007 for the 2008 class. Never made it to campus--busted for dealing crack in high school. If he'd ever made it to IU, would have likely been supplying Bassett, Holman, Ellis, and McGee. Also would have been selling black market doughnuts and pizzas to DeAndre Thomas. Good times. 

Side observation: Crack is whack.

Another side observation: NOTHING was worse for IUBB than the Sampson era. I'd gladly take a team full of Grant Gelons and Tijan Jobes over a team of Armaan Bassetts and Brandon McGees.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Signed in 2007 for the 2008 class. Never made it to campus--busted for dealing crack in high school. If he'd ever made it IU, would have likely been supplying Bassett, Holman, Ellis, and McGee. Also would have been selling black market doughnuts and pizzas to DeAndre Thomas. Good times. 

Another side observation: NOTHING was worse for IUBB than the Sampson era. I'd gladly take a team full of Grant Gelons and Tijan Jobes over a team of Armaan Bassetts and Brandon McGees.

Was he actually good? Like outside of the crack? Like if he wasnt a drug dealer, how good would be have been? Would we still have gotten Gordon? And how the hell do high school kids start selling crack? 

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Signed in 2007 for the 2008 class. Never made it to campus--busted for dealing crack in high school. If he'd ever made it IU, would have likely been supplying Bassett, Holman, Ellis, and McGee. Also would have been selling black market doughnuts and pizzas to DeAndre Thomas. Good times. 

Yeah I was not that upset about the phone calls as the number of kids he brought in that were not interested in school and more interested in criminal activity 

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Yes it is. I think it is the right opinion. Too much money involved

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

But we'd be throwing away too much money by being mediocre again.  Time to make money by making tournaments again.  Cut bait.  Ditch the loser.

But we'd be throwing away too much money by being mediocre again.  Time to make money by making tournaments again.  Cut bait.  Ditch the loser.
I'm with you on cutting bait. No argument there. I just don't think it is happening because of the money

Just now, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'm with you on cutting bait. No argument there. I just don't think it is happening because of the money

Sometimes you've gotta spend money to make money.  Continuing to bet on a dead horse is not the way.  The money is there.  Dolson just needs to make it happen

Listen, no one wants a rebuild but that isn’t what we need. It’s not even what we needed when Archie was hired. College basketball programs change quickly, even those that don’t get 1-and-dones regularly, and it was a red flag when Miller’s media mouthpieces said it was.

No one expects a ton in year 1. Take some sit out transfers, hit the trail hard, strike while you’re the new thing in town, watch literally one (1) good offense and figure out what they do, realize 3s are worth 50% more, etc.

At a place resourced like IU, you may have some down years after early draft entries or whatever, but unless you have a Sampson-esque apocalypse, multi-year, miss the tourney rebuilds just shouldn’t be necessary.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey all of you "I forgive you--come back Kelvin Sampson" proponents.

Kelvin's first superstar recruit to IU (he was #5 nationally when we snagged him) is back in the news today! Yippeeeeeeee good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.lex18.com/news/crime/lexington-couple-arrested-in-missouri-after-k9-finds-10-pounds-of-meth-valued-at-453-000

Nothing like having our program mentioned in a story like that. The kid obviously had talent. Whatever pushed him into the drug business ruined the young man's life. Honestly, it makes me sad to see how this turned out. Fandom aside, I hope all of these young men achieve their dreams.

Call me crazy as the leader of the Archie bandwagon, but I think there is a chance.. a chance to be better next year. Assuming nature take it's course and our players develop, TJD returns, and we add Parker and Joey / Luke.. I mean.. on paper... and don't forget.. Al can return for another year... yeah it's all wishful thinking but...

I’d say I’m in the camp that says they will be better. If Trace returns i think they could be very good. What about Brunk too? I look at it and see Size depth, guard depth, shooting, athleticism, toughness. Off season development for the current Freshman class that has already impressed. We’d have 3-4 A+ defenders with experience and most importantly, rebounding which we DO NOT HAVE NOW. In my opinion, it’s low probability that they wouldn’t be better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The real danger is that a coach does just enough to not get fired. The murky area between good enough and not is what we have to worry about. If finances are an issue and CAM does just enough to satisfy the decision makers, then an extension is likely and we will continue down the very same path.

Crean accomplished a lot more and was fired because it wasn't enough. Keeping Archie Miller around wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, considering he's come nowhere close to where Crean had us. 

And please, nobody promote the myth that we have to extend him so he can recruit. That's a trick that desperate coaches like to use when they're in trouble.