Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

4 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

$10 Million is not much different from $14... it is still a hard thing to come up with.... there is a lot involved... like you are pointing out we "may" not have to pay Archie the full $10 Million up front, but we will still be paying him something..... on top of paying the buyout for whoever we choose (unless you are a proponent of Thad Matta type who isn't currently coaching) + you have to pay the $4 Million for the new coaches salary at IU.... I am sure there is a lot more to it than even that, concessions, moving expenses, assistant coaches. etc...

It is not a cheap option to get rid of Archie this year... after this year his portion goes down but all the other portions stay the same, therefore it makes a big difference.

I would agree that IU themselves will not proactively try to fire Archie after this year given budgetary constraints.  However, if a booster(s) want Archie fired after this year it WILL happen whether it cost 5mm, 10mm or 15mm??   These people will have the funds to pay for what they WANT.   The question should be not will IU fire Archie, but what do the large donor boosters think about Archie???

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

What is the scoop on Brooks and Henry?

The day after the Iowa win, Chris dropped a hint in the game thread that we'll be adding a transfer to next year's roster, and that Brooks' and Henry's names had come up. I give this staff very little chance of pulling that off, but either one would be a very welcome addition and would somewhat alleviate our pitiful '21 recruiting performance. 

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

What is the scoop on Brooks and Henry?

They are basketball players from the state who went to other states to play, that might want to return home since free agency hits NCAA this spring-summer. Just a rumor though

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

The day after the Iowa win, Chris dropped a hint in the game thread that we'll be adding a transfer to next year's roster, and that Brooks' and Henry's names had come up. I give this staff very little chance of pulling that off, but either one would be a very welcome addition and would somewhat alleviate our pitiful '21 recruiting performance. 

I don't think it is likely to happen but I will say that I was told by the same person who told me that Brunk was coming to IU after the IU-Butler game 3 years ago or whenever it was. 

30 minutes ago, IUCane said:

I would agree that IU themselves will not proactively try to fire Archie after this year given budgetary constraints.  However, if a booster(s) want Archie fired after this year it WILL happen whether it cost 5mm, 10mm or 15mm??   These people will have the funds to pay for what they WANT.   The question should be not will IU fire Archie, but what do the large donor boosters think about Archie???

Is that even an option?

I was under the impression that a Booster couldn't earmark a donation like that.... unless it is something like naming rights to a building or something.... can a booster come in and say ok I have $15 million dollars that I will give you right this moment if you Fire Archie now... these funds are only to be used to pay for his Buyout, the Buyout of "Oats" (just as an example), and to pay "Oats" salary for the 1st year of his new contract.... Is that something that could conceivably be done?

I get that boosters may have some influence, may have the ear of the university/AD/President.... but do they really have a final say in anything?

OR is it something like I donate $15 million dollars every year, and I go tell them I am not donating anymore until Archie is gone... type situation?

1 hour ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I get your point... but the other side is.... IF we fire Archie we will be better.... that to me is just as big an If as any of the others mentioned.

You'll get no argument from me on that and I truly don't want to go through another coaching change      IF      it can be avoided.

34 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

They are basketball players from the state who went to other states to play, that might want to return home since free agency hits NCAA this spring-summer. Just a rumor though

Both would be good adds and fill holes but it seems we need choir boys (like Brunk) to be true transfer candidates 

13 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Is that even an option?

I was under the impression that a Booster couldn't earmark a donation like that.... unless it is something like naming rights to a building or something.... can a booster come in and say ok I have $15 million dollars that I will give you right this moment if you Fire Archie now... these funds are only to be used to pay for his Buyout, the Buyout of "Oats" (just as an example), and to pay "Oats" salary for the 1st year of his new contract.... Is that something that could conceivably be done?

I get that boosters may have some influence, may have the ear of the university/AD/President.... but do they really have a final say in anything?

OR is it something like I donate $15 million dollars every year, and I go tell them I am not donating anymore until Archie is gone... type situation?

This reminds me of the huge conundrum from "Friday Night Lights" -- TV series, not the movie. 

Buddy Garrity -- a  football booster -- raised a truckload of money for a Jumbotron/scoreboard for the football field. Tammy Taylor -- the school's principal and football coach's wife -- thought that was frivolous considering the school system's economic difficulties, so she took all that money and put it toward education (i.e. -- school upgrades, supplies, teacher salaries, etc. ...)

Needless to say, Buddy and the football boys were pissed ... It was a real hot-button issue in Dillon, Texas ... 

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Al would be a role player off the bench on most teams in the Big 10. He would be the odd man out next year out of the guards and wings we have. I know he plays hard , he just is what he is.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

People said I was stupid when I said Al had peaked as a Sophomore. He was who he was. But was I wrong? I think not. I was blasted last year for my criticism of him too, even though it was warranted. 

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

People said I was stupid when I said Al had peaked as a Sophomore. He was who he was. But was I wrong? I think not. I was blasted last year for my criticism of him too, even though it was warranted. 

I've thought a lot of things about you, stupid wasn't one of them. But I would say he still improved last year from soph year. Might not be much but there was improvement IMO. None this year

33 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

They look basically the same. Bland and boring. Just like the product they put on the court. 

The old ones looked better.  Not that it matters, a uniform won't make them play better and shouldn't even be on a list of things wrong because it's 0 impact.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey all of you "I forgive you--come back Kelvin Sampson" proponents.

Kelvin's first superstar recruit to IU (he was #5 nationally when we snagged him) is back in the news today! Yippeeeeeeee good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.lex18.com/news/crime/lexington-couple-arrested-in-missouri-after-k9-finds-10-pounds-of-meth-valued-at-453-000

Shocking... except his recruits that made it to campus...

22 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Brooks hasnt been all that impressive at UK

True that.

However; talented, good kid with an excellent motor. Lost in the 'too many five stars-shuffle' currently going on with the 5-10 UK train wreck. 

There are so, so, SO many examples of UK players who transferred out and thrived: Harrow, C Matthews, Wiltjer, Baker, Juziang come to mind immediately.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey all of you "I forgive you--come back Kelvin Sampson" proponents.

Kelvin's first superstar recruit to IU (he was #5 nationally when we snagged him) is back in the news today! Yippeeeeeeee good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.lex18.com/news/crime/lexington-couple-arrested-in-missouri-after-k9-finds-10-pounds-of-meth-valued-at-453-000

What class was he in? I guess I don't remember him. But I was in the 7th grade when Sampson got here.