Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, bigrod said:

I figured this as well. In fact I told several people that we need to get used to mediocrity until his contract is up.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that next year he would only have a year left on his contract. That makes recruiting even harder than it seems it has been for him lately. Who wants to play for a coach on the hot seat with a year left on his contract?

Now that's a good question and a little higher than my pay grade to answer. 

1 minute ago, bigrod said:

I figured this as well. In fact I told several people that we need to get used to mediocrity until his contract is up.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that next year he would only have a year left on his contract. That makes recruiting even harder than it seems it has been for him lately. Who wants to play for a coach on the hot seat with a year left on his contract?

It's without a doubt a factor, Archie know's he's coaching for his next contract at this point. This year isn't over but we're probably not going to the final four this year. Next year he'll have to earn his next contract EARLY in the season. A top 10 ranking and top of the conference might do it for him by late January. 

Not saying that's happening at all, but he'll have a chance to earn a new contract next season. This season maybe if we make it to the final four LOL

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Exactly. 

Arch is here to stay! Until maybe next year if he can't pull it together lol. 

Nonetheless, if we do get a new coach, can we please bring back the old uniforms? These updated jerseys are terrible. Bring back the old school look!

The old school look needs to stay in the past. 

47 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

image.png.03bbf39d233bf1cc7fc05e8e90c9cdd9.png

If TJD comes back / if Joey stays another year / if Armaan takes another step  up / if the freshmen take an Armaan step forward / if Parker is a 3- point shooter / if we land a grad transfer / if no one transfers out / if, if and more ifs.

Way too many ifs for this Old Fart to believe next season will be appreciably better.  My rose colored bifocals have become a dull gray.

I get your point... but the other side is.... IF we fire Archie we will be better.... that to me is just as big an If as any of the others mentioned.

14 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Excuse my ignorance if there is an obvious answer that I have missed but who is “Luke” that has been referred to a few times? Am I having a brain fart or have me made headway with a recruit?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I was reading it as Logan Duncomb, but could be wrong (it's happened before lol)

Call me crazy as the leader of the Archie bandwagon, but I think there is a chance.. a chance to be better next year. Assuming nature take it's course and our players develop, TJD returns, and we add Parker and Joey / Luke.. I mean.. on paper... and don't forget.. Al can return for another year... yeah it's all wishful thinking but...

Al would be a role player off the bench on most teams in the Big 10. He would be the odd man out next year out of the guards and wings we have. I know he plays hard , he just is what he is.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I've asked this multiple times and never get an answer: is the buyout paid up front or incrementally? If it's a month at a time like Crean's, with his next job's salary deducted, I'm not sure what the big deal is. 

And I hope nobody seriously thinks Brooks or Henry would come here. We never get recruiting breaks like that. 

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I've asked this multiple times and never get an answer: is the buyout paid up front or incrementally? If it's a month at a time like Crean's, with his next job's salary deducted, I'm not sure what the big deal is. 

And I hope nobody seriously thinks Brooks or Henry would come here. We never get recruiting breaks like that. 

it's a typical buyout. Paid in monthly installments and offset by his future employment. 

link to article that contains his contract: https://www.insidethehall.com/2017/06/27/archie-miller-to-earn-average-of-335-million-annually-on-eight-year-contract/

Something like this can get renegotiated, but if not 10 million is a lot more than 3 million with the athletic department in the state it is in. Plus you have to buyout the incoming coach's contract and pay him as well. 

Hey all of you "I forgive you--come back Kelvin Sampson" proponents.

Kelvin's first superstar recruit to IU (he was #5 nationally when we snagged him) is back in the news today! Yippeeeeeeee good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.lex18.com/news/crime/lexington-couple-arrested-in-missouri-after-k9-finds-10-pounds-of-meth-valued-at-453-000

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Kelvin's first superstar recruit to IU (he was #5 nationally when we snagged him) is back in the news today! Yippeeeeeeee good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.lex18.com/news/crime/lexington-couple-arrested-in-missouri-after-k9-finds-10-pounds-of-meth-valued-at-453-000

woof. He is looking at some serious federal time. 

anyway, BRING BACK SAMPSON

7 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

it's a typical buyout. Paid in monthly installments and offset by his future employment. 

link to article that contains his contract: https://www.insidethehall.com/2017/06/27/archie-miller-to-earn-average-of-335-million-annually-on-eight-year-contract/

Something like this can get renegotiated, but if not 10 million is a lot more than 3 million with the athletic department in the state it is in. Plus you have to buyout the incoming coach's contract and pay him as well. 

Thanks. I wish more people would see this. I think it would cut down on a lot of the "we need $14 million!! How can we possibly come up with $14 million?!" fear mongering we're seeing on social media, which is no doubt what Archie Miller's camp wants to see. 

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’d still take Sampson over Archie in a heartbeat. He can flat out coach. He’s made more NCAA tournaments in the past 5 years at Houston than IU has, he’s won his conference twice (and finished 3rd two other times, and 2nd once in those 5 years), and now has Houston ranked #6 in the country. 

10 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

woof. He is looking at some serious federal time. 

anyway, BRING BACK SAMPSON

Yup...even under the federal sentencing guidelines that's a ten year min/mand schedule II offense. And his criminal history will accelerate the guideline scale.

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Thanks. I wish more people would see this. I think it would cut down on a lot of the "we need $14 million!! How can we possibly come up with $14 million?!" fear mongering we're seeing on social media, which is no doubt what Archie Miller's camp wants to see. 

$10 Million is not much different from $14... it is still a hard thing to come up with.... there is a lot involved... like you are pointing out we "may" not have to pay Archie the full $10 Million up front, but we will still be paying him something..... on top of paying the buyout for whoever we choose (unless you are a proponent of Thad Matta type who isn't currently coaching) + you have to pay the $4 Million for the new coaches salary at IU.... I am sure there is a lot more to it than even that, concessions, moving expenses, assistant coaches. etc...

It is not a cheap option to get rid of Archie this year... after this year his portion goes down but all the other portions stay the same, therefore it makes a big difference.

2 hours ago, mamasa said:

And, I'm still really intrigued by what Chris007 mentioned about Brooks and Henry having been discussed. Not getting hopes up, and certainly not implying that he made it seem likely, but.....

What is the scoop on Brooks and Henry?