Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

No it wouldn’t. I think you’re letting your distaste for the guy distort reality. We both know that this season is anomalous, in regards to John Calipari. As much as I can’t stand the guy, he’s an all timer. If Indiana were to somehow be lucky enough to land him, we would be nationally relevant within a single season and everyone on this site would be kissing the ground that he walks on (myself included). 
No. Not everyone

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

They haven't felt the pressure to get it right yet, I have doubts they're going too now; as long as we've been down Glass should have.  Buckner is just one voice 

Money talks and Indiana University and the athletic department will be looking at all avenues to generate money lost during the COVID years. We need a big name, we need a product, we need fans in seats. The right hire could do all of those. 

2 minutes ago, OldBuddy67 said:

Someone hit the Powerball last night. Everyone go buy a Mega Millions for this weekend. If I or anyone hits it the first thing we should spend it on is buying out Archie immediately! :92: 

+$10 million dollars

and don't forget about the new contract for Stevens

We're going to need around $25million dollars for such an investment. 

Barring an utter and complete collapse nothing happens this year.  The Fat Aussie (who came up with that moniker?) retires at the end of June and this year we elect 2 new trustees instead of just 1 as last year's election was postponed per Gov. Holcomb's order.   New blood; new direction?

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Barring an utter and complete collapse nothing happens this year.  The Fat Aussie (who came up with that moniker?) retires at the end of June and this year we elect 2 new trustees instead of just 1 as last year's election was postponed per Gov. Holcomb's order.   New blood; new direction?

I like

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

No. Not everyone

I honestly don’t really understand IU fans. Calipari has had elite results at every school he’s been at. He’s been to 4 Final Fouls in the past decade. We’ve been to 4 NCAA tournaments since 2008. He would deliver immediate results to IU and reestablish IU as a national blue blood. Then he’d retire after 5-6 years and IU would be one of the most sought after jobs once again.

But, we won’t hire Calipari. We won’t hire anyone of his stature. We’ll hire an unproven up and comer. We’ll convince ourselves that he’s the one, that he’s going to be our guy to be here for the next 30 years. Then four years later we’ll all be posting in a new coaching candidate thread about how we need to fire Coach X and hire someone else. It happened with Archie, and it’ll happen with the next guy too. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I honestly don’t really understand IU fans. Calipari has had elite results at every school he’s been at. He’s been to 4 Final Fouls in the past decade. We’ve been to 4 NCAA tournaments since 2008. He would deliver immediate results to IU and reestablish IU as a national blue blood. Then he’d retire after 5-6 years and IU would be one of the most sought after jobs once again.

But, we won’t hire Calipari. We won’t hire anyone of his stature. We’ll hire an unproven up and comer. We’ll convince ourselves that he’s the one, that he’s going to be our guy to be here for the next 30 years. Then four years later we’ll all be posting in a new coaching candidate thread about how we need to fire Coach X and hire someone else. It happened with Archie, and it’ll happen with the next guy too. 

I'll put in my application for the gig. 

I honestly don't understand people who are willing to be ok with cheaters just to win. I want to win as bad as anyone else, but I will not go against my morals to do it. It is very similar to why I voted 3rd party the last 2 elections. I could not, as someone who voted Republican my whole life, support a schoolyard bully.

I merely gave that as an analogy, it was not meant to start a political discussion.

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I for 1 don't think Cal would win at IU as a first point....

2nd there is a large portion of the fan base that cares about the optics, and the HOW..... the WHOLE fan base wants to win, but not the whole fan base wants to win no matter the cost.... some things in basketball (and life) are more important than winning....

A priest wants to go to heaven.... but is he willing to sell his soul to the devil to do so? (Not calling Cal the Devil, just an analogy)

18 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I honestly don't understand people who are willing to be ok with cheaters just to win. I want to win as bad as anyone else, but I will not go against my morals to do it. It is very similar to why I voted 3rd party the last 2 elections. I could not, as someone who voted Republican my whole life, support a schoolyard bully.

I merely gave that as an analogy, it was not meant to start a political discussion.

16 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

2nd there is a large portion of the fan base that cares about the optics, and the HOW..... the WHOLE fan base wants to win, but not the whole fan base wants to win no matter the cost.... some things in basketball (and life) are more important than winning....

A priest wants to go to heaven.... but is he willing to sell his soul to the devil to do so? (Not calling Cal the Devil, just an analogy)

Adherence to rules that the NCAA itself doesn’t give a crap about does nothing but hurt ourselves. Most elite programs are playing outside of the rules, the NCAA knows that they’re playing outside of the rules, and the NCAA lets them. Louisville went beyond paying players, the NCAA actually punished them, and they’re right back to landing top-tier classes. If fans don’t want to play in the same gray areas as programs like Duke, UK, Kansas, etc., that’s perfectly fine. There’s nothing wrong with it. But they need to accept that it will be much harder to succeed as a program, and mediocre results will probably be the norm. Right now, we’re a region program. Top talent isn’t coming here unless they’re from Indiana. We haven’t landed an out of state 5 star since Thomas Bryant in 2015, and that was due in large part to Crean’s shady recruiter (whose name I can’t remember).

On 1/20/2021 at 12:29 PM, Stuhoo said:

He doesn't want to pretend to be fascinated by 16 year olds with inflated self-importance. He doesn't want to deal with handlers and shoe companies.

Gotta admit following recruiting makes me kinda hate CBB sometimes. Can't imagine being a coach and having to deal with it.

I need to have a Love button(similar to FB) for this, not just a like

36 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

For me it has more to do with the fact that Cal's way of doing is far from the only proven way to have a successful program. He's built UK as it is largely on the one and done player, while occasionally sprinkling in some players that stick around 2 years. It's produced one championship and several tournament runs we can surely be jealous of. But it's also produced this year. He may be a decent coach, but he's also been able to take advantage of simply having really really good players that he can't screw it up. That's not the only way to go about it. And in my opinion that method is becoming more and more of a gamble with there being plenty of opportunities for players to play overseas and get paid, and the G-league starting to take one and dones out of the mix. On top of that, UK fans have to be okay with massive roster turnover every year. That fits UK better b/c they don't have a solid funnel of high level recruits coming from their own state every year. Indiana does, and can win by recruiting right at home (though of course we need to recruit nationally as well). I like seeing guys like Yogi, Hulls, Franklin, etc. stick around several years and even Cody and Trayce if they're only here a couple. I wouldn't want to wonder from year to year who is even going to be on the roster, b/c again, my main point is that it's not the only proven way to do it and his method is becoming more and more of a gamble every season. Now, add in one big point you made....he may only be around 5-6 years. You're willing to take that gamble on a guy who may very well be on the downside of his career, with no guarantee at all that he can regain the type of success he had at UK, may take a few years to build that if does regain that success, knowing he won't even be around that long? The possibility that he could come in and in 5 or 6 years bring us a couple of final fours and another banner I would bet my mortgage is equally or less likely than he comes in and stinks up the place trying to implement a one and done to the NBA pipeline, gets us to 1 sweet sixteen and a couple tournaments and alienating the recruiting relationships in the state along the way. Nah. No way. It's a desperation, hail mary, full court heave of a hire. Sure, there is a chance that full court heave goes in. The slam dunks may not be available or we may overthrow the lob when they aren't looking. That doesn't mean we should attempt a full court heave when we can run some offense and look for a good shot. Yes, I took that analogy/pun right up the finish line, then blew past it and ran another lap with it. 

Adherence to rules that the NCAA itself doesn’t give a crap about does nothing but hurt ourselves. Most elite programs are playing outside of the rules, the NCAA knows that they’re playing outside of the rules, and the NCAA lets them. Louisville went beyond paying players, the NCAA actually punished them, and they’re right back to landing top-tier classes. If fans don’t want to play in the same gray areas as programs like Duke, UK, Kansas, etc., that’s perfectly fine. There’s nothing wrong with it. But they need to accept that it will be much harder to succeed as a program, and mediocre results will probably be the norm. Right now, we’re a region program. Top talent isn’t coming here unless they’re from Indiana. We haven’t landed an out of state 5 star since Thomas Bryant in 2015, and that was due in large part to Crean’s shady recruiter (whose name I can’t remember).

So because every one else does it, makes it ok? No, no it doesn't.

Maybe some are ok with going against their morals just to win some games, I'm not. If you are, no problem. We have differing opinions.

4 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

So because every one else does it, makes it ok? No, no it doesn't.

Maybe some are ok with going against their morals just to win some games, I'm not. If you are, no problem. We have differing opinions.

I suppose you never crossed the street outside of a cross walk or went 5 minutes over the speed limit either