Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not trying to start an argument but is there anybody that’s still in the Archie camp?  To me that’s very telling even with Crean I feel he had inklings of support till the end. 

I am! I believe I'm driving the Archie bandwagon. Can't say it's very full. Currently pulled over for a blown tire. 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Let me preface this by saying I realize this has a 0.00 percent chance of happening, because apparently, we tried it once and were rebuffed. Also, I'd guess a decent percentage of folks on this board would disagree with me, but if I could have my pick of whom I want to coach IU  ... 

Not Brad Stevens. 
Not Billy Donovan. 
Not Chris Beard.
Not Scott Drew.
Not Steve Alford. 
Not even Mike Krzyzewski.

I'd go with Tony Bennett -- 100 percent, hands down, he'd be my choice. I still think the alleged rationale of him not wanting to exist in the fish bowl that is IU is BS. I think he was pissed because we parted ways with his sister. 

He is pretty low-key, but he seems very comfortable in his own skin. He's very well spoken -- I think he'd be great at pressing the flesh and speaking to crowds. He's obviously very bright. He seems to have a great relationship with his players. He's very committed to his faith. I think all these qualities fit right in perfectly at IU. 

I've lived in Virginia for 20 years, so have had a pretty good glimpse of his teams -- and I love the way they play. Plus, he kept the Toiletmakers from the Final Four! 

The only thing I wonder: What in the hell would've happened had we been a 1 seed and lost to a 16 in the NCAAs! 

IIRC some people close to the situation at the time indicated that it WAS because Bennett preferred a lower-key program and fanbase and not, in fact, because of how IU (i.e., Greenspan) treated his sister. I expect Bennett talked at length with his Dad about what coaching in the B1G 10, especially at a place like IU, would be like.

IMO Bennett never WAS coming to IU, and Beard never IS coming to IU; I strongly suspect that, if Archie struggles the rest of this season and again in 2021-22, then the pool of potential replacements will be more guys similar to what Archie was 5 years ago.

If so, I at least hope Dolson doesn't give them the same kind of sweetheart deal that Glass gave to Miller--no point in over-paying for mediocre results 2 times in a row. I think that money would be better spent at this point in time on the football program.

19 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I am very barely hanging on....

Same here and if we don't put up a solid fight tomorrow night that's probably it for me.  I do not expect to win at Iowa but if we roll over and play dead..............................!

Not trying to start an argument but is there anybody that’s still in the Archie camp?  To me that’s very telling even with Crean I feel he had inklings of support till the end. 

Sorta.

Just not sure who the replacement realistically would be...

I can’t picture Bennet / Stevens / Donovan being intrigued to come here. Heck, even Oats could be a tough sell. Alabama let’s him recruit more “loosely” and the Big 10 is more competitive. It’s a tough job.

Fife? Eh could be a hit or miss.

I kinda like the idea of Matta if he’s healthy.

Regardless, this conversation is unfortunately premature as he won’t be canned this year unless we basically lose out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Is this serious?

His best years outside of the Oden and Conley team were 2009-2013. From there, the losses gradually grew although very minor. He ends his career at OSU 17-15, 7-11 in the B1G. 

You expect him to start winning again after being away for four years? What about his recruiting connections, it already wasn't looking good and now he's going to pick up where he left on a positive note in 2013? I'm not buying it. It's a lateral move at best from Archie. Sure Matta has gone to the national championship game, but that was back when I was in middle school. Being away from basketball that long has to have some impact. Would recruits even relate to him let alone know who he was? Mike Conley is a dinosaur in the NBA and obviously no one knows who Greg Oden is. 

IU has to do better than Thad Matta. We can't settle. This hire will decide the future of IU basketball for the next 20 years. I don't trust Thad Matta for the job at all. 

49 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I'm not "in the Archie camp" so much as I'm just trying not to get my hopes up. These kind of threads gain legs and before long we've convinced ourselves that there's flights being booked. In reality, because of the buyout and the asterisk of this Covid season, I'd say there's a 99% chance Archie's back next year, and in the meantime, I'd rather us do well than not well.

I would say I'm in the "if they did fire him, I wouldn't be sad" camp. I've been a big Archie defender in the past, so it's probably pretty telling that that's where I am now.

Sorta.

Just not sure who the replacement realistically would be...

I can’t picture Bennet / Stevens / Donovan being intrigued to come here. Heck, even Oats could be a tough sell. Alabama let’s him recruit more “loosely” and the Big 10 is more competitive. It’s a tough job.

Fife? Eh could be a hit or miss.

I kinda like the idea of Matta if he’s healthy.

Regardless, this conversation is unfortunately premature as he won’t be canned this year unless we basically lose out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
This isn't meant for you specifically and I'm not trying to give you crap. That said I keep reading that he won't be fired this year unless we lose out. So the $ isn't an issue if the bottom completely falls out but it is an issue if we just simply far, far underperform expectations? I don't get that. Either it's a problem or it isn't

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I am pretty down on Archie and I have been a major defender of his. My hope is he gets it turned around quite like he did in his 3rd year at Dayton and started winning consistently. But at this point he has done nothing to show he is capable of coaching IU at the level any of us want. 

I think he will be back next year but it is quite possible that this team ends the season with a losing record. If so, he will have done nothing to prove he is deserving of a 5th year and I will be completely okay with moving on. It would be the worst 4 year stretch since before Bob Knight. Crean at least made the sweet 16 after three losing seasons.

The only excuse to keep him would be COVID, and I think that is a weak excuse. 

16 minutes ago, Treesh said:

His best years outside of the Oden and Conley team were 2009-2013. From there, the losses gradually grew although very minor. He ends his career at OSU 17-15, 7-11 in the B1G. 

You expect him to start winning again after being away for four years? What about his recruiting connections, it already wasn't looking good and now he's going to pick up where he left on a positive note in 2013? I'm not buying it. It's a lateral move at best from Archie. Sure Matta has gone to the national championship game, but that was back when I was in middle school. Being away from basketball that long has to have some impact. Would recruits even relate to him let alone know who he was? Mike Conley is a dinosaur in the NBA and obviously no one knows who Greg Oden is. 

IU has to do better than Thad Matta. We can't settle. This hire will decide the future of IU basketball for the next 20 years. I don't trust Thad Matta for the job at all. 

Relationships are relationships. They don’t fade just because 4 years pass.  And he had one losing big ten season and it’s pretty much accepted that was because his health going down hill. Every other year he was .500 or better in the big ten. 

You can see that while most who still hold on to some support condition it.  I think if the season were to end today he would be back.  If he finds a way to get us into the NCAAs he will be back.  Anything short of that he is at risk.  I think the difficulty of our schedule the rest of the way is going to make it hard to stay or at least hard to maintain support but this is year 4 and we had just about everyone back this year.  

The projected wins for us are at about 5 for the rest of the year which puts him in a risky spot.  Purdue who is younger than us has shown you can win on the road and against "better" teams.  Others in the BT have as well so there is on reason to think he cannot win his way back to some safety.  

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Crean had a stronger contingent that stayed with him until the very end because we actually won big games when he was here. We went through multiple rebuilds with him, the dark days in the beginning, to the highs of the Zeller teams and everything in between. Some fans didn't want to move on from Crean because they desperately wanted to believe we finally had our guy, and there was evidence showing he could win here, even if it wasn't as consistent as we would have liked. None of that exists with Archie Miller. I'll keep using these words because they're so accurate: it' been a slow, painful grind. 

The vast majority of internet fans I've seen are ready to move on. Most fans I know outside of this board are either ready for a change or just don't care anymore. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I wasn't a really a fan of the hire initially, thought he needed to show more before being considered.  Now?  Looks like it was a big mistake.

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Im not sure there ever was much of an Archie camp. There are those that thought it was a solid hire (not great) and those that thought it was a bad hire. Ive had to eat a lot of crow over this because I thought he was gonna be solid.