Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

26 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So.. if that happens.. do we build you a statue and worship you? A statue would be a must I believe. 

I will suffice with that. I truly believe Brad Stevens is our only true answer. While I might have a better chance of winning the Powerball this Friday, it's a must we give him a call and offer the HOUSE.

$9+million dollars,  free education for his daughters, have his wife run the Law School, free Buffalouis for the program and his family FOR LIFE. 

5 hours ago, Redleader said:

I thought he was a scumbag due to the threats his staff made to Hanner Perea?

https://www.insidethehall.com/2010/10/12/baylor-in-hot-water-over-perea-recruitment/

He's appears to morally bankrupt, hiding behind that faux piety.  But that truly does not matter, if he can win here, right?

But, yes, everyone keep piling on the Sandwich for forgiving Alford his sins.

Fair point. I read a bunch of the Alford/Iowa stuff the last few days and have actually softened my stance on Alford. Still not my top guy and I would personally advise him to stay where he is but he does not have a history of this type of behavior. 

i also read a ton on Drew and feel fine with him. 

I would prefer we have a coach that can out coach anyone, recruit well and is a great guy.  That being said, I overlooked a lot of what RMK did because he won and i had some access to things he did that no one saw. He did so many things right and he did so many things wrong. 

Let me preface this by saying I realize this has a 0.00 percent chance of happening, because apparently, we tried it once and were rebuffed. Also, I'd guess a decent percentage of folks on this board would disagree with me, but if I could have my pick of whom I want to coach IU  ... 

Not Brad Stevens. 
Not Billy Donovan. 
Not Chris Beard.
Not Scott Drew.
Not Steve Alford. 
Not even Mike Krzyzewski.

I'd go with Tony Bennett -- 100 percent, hands down, he'd be my choice. I still think the alleged rationale of him not wanting to exist in the fish bowl that is IU is BS. I think he was pissed because we parted ways with his sister. 

He is pretty low-key, but he seems very comfortable in his own skin. He's very well spoken -- I think he'd be great at pressing the flesh and speaking to crowds. He's obviously very bright. He seems to have a great relationship with his players. He's very committed to his faith. I think all these qualities fit right in perfectly at IU. 

I've lived in Virginia for 20 years, so have had a pretty good glimpse of his teams -- and I love the way they play. Plus, he kept the Toiletmakers from the Final Four! 

The only thing I wonder: What in the hell would've happened had we been a 1 seed and lost to a 16 in the NCAAs! 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Thad Matta is the guy I would pick for a number of reasons.  I would also want him to keep a successor on staff at all times. I want continuity 

I agree with this, assuming he actually wants to get back into coaching. My only question is if he would want to be the guy to replace Archie since they are longtime friends?

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Nate Oats’s second year at Alabama so far: tenth in Kenpom (13th offense, 11th defense, 12th tempo). Write the check.

Calm down now.

I think I'll take a look at Chris before Nate. 

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

To those more stat savvy than me, what were Archie's offensive/defensive rankings while at Dayton?

Per kenpom...

Year      overall        offense         defense

1             69               29                 160

2             67               28                  145

3             42               37                    72

4             42               75                    30

5             59               146                  15

6              39               53                   43

Offense numbers always worried me but thought he would recruit well enough at IU that it would be like his brother at Arizona and not really a problem. Not the case though. 

To me it seems like Thad Matta or Oats would be potentially great hires. If Matta is healthy and can stay that way (I have no idea what issues he had), then he is a huge hire IMO. He’s proven he can coach on big stages and be successful. Oats might be the up and comer IU would go after, but is having really good success at a decent major program.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

To me it seems like Thad Matta or Oats would be potentially great hires. If Matta is healthy and can stay that way (I have no idea what issues he had), then he is a huge hire IMO. He’s proven he can coach on big stages and be successful. Oats might be the up and comer IU would go after, but is having really good success at a decent major program.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I believe it was back issues?

I believe Matta would have IU competing for Big Ten titles and runs in the dance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

36 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Brad Stevens doesn't want the farm. He doesn't want the Indiana farm, he doesn't want Kentucky's farm, he doesn't want Duke's farm, he doesn't want Southwest Missouri State's farm.

He doesn't want to pretend to be fascinated by 16 year olds with inflated self-importance. He doesn't want to deal with handlers and shoe companies.

There is no farm that he wants, save for the land he currently farms in Boston.

I didn’t say he wants to do all of that again. I said a lot would have to be offered. Don’t quote me just to take my words out of context