Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

John. Calipari. I’ll keep shouting it into the abyss in hopes that it comes true. Lol. We’d be back to the Final Four by 2025.

And while I know he’s not popular, I think he’s by far the best possible candidate and would get IU back where fans want it. Unlike the other long shot hires, he’s actually coaching in college right now, and his current situation is less than stable. 

From a lot of chatter, it sounds like Steve Alford is likely to be the guy when Archie gets fired. Alford isn’t nearly the coach/recruiter that Calipari is, and he has some pretty bad character issues. Calipari, for all his slime, is a run of the mill rule breaker. What he’s done is the norm for college basketball at elite programs these days. 

I have a feeling that we’d be having this same conversation in the same kind of thread 4-5 years from now about a lot of the names I’ve seen thrown out in this thread. Hire John Calipari and we’re more likely to have conversations about how we’re pissed our awesome team only made the Elite Eight and not the championship game.  

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Eric Musseleman would drive the fanbase up the wall I believe. He's Tom Crean 2.0. He's a salesman and is best fit at a Football school like he is now. Although, I wouldn't say Arkansas is a powerhouse by any means. To my understanding, Arkansas fans are 50/50 on Musseleman. 

Tier 1:

Stevens

Billy D

Tier 2:

Beard

Tier 3:

Oats (Still doing homework on him) 

IU Tier:

Dane Fife

I could get excited about Oats for a few reasons. He is Tom Allen 2.0. Not a sure thing, but I could see it working out the same way. 

Would he leave Bama after only 2 seasons? Is he gonna be a superstar? Not sure.

IU needs to make a short list of the 4-5 absolute best options and find a way to hire one of them. I don't think it should be someone unproven or with IU ties. And no 5 year rebuilds. Just the best option 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

And while I know he’s not popular, I think he’s by far the best possible candidate and would get IU back where fans want it. Unlike the other long shot hires, he’s actually coaching in college right now, and his current situation is less than stable. 

From a lot of chatter, it sounds like Steve Alford is likely to be the guy when Archie gets fired. Alford isn’t nearly the coach/recruiter that Calipari is, and he has some pretty bad character issues. Calipari, for all his slime, is a run of the mill rule breaker. What he’s done is the norm for college basketball at elite programs these days. 

I have a feeling that we’d be having this same conversation in the same kind of thread 4-5 years from now about a lot of the names I’ve seen thrown out in this thread. Hire John Calipari and we’re more likely to have conversations about how we’re pissed our awesome team only made the Elite Eight and not the championship game.  

True. But Calipari is never leaving Kentucky and they are never during him. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Agreed, Cal is less realistic than Stevens in my mind and I don't think Stevens is realistic. 

I wasn't enthusiastic about Archie (in fact I was quite disappointed) but came around when he recruited Romeo and hoped for the best.

Hiring Alford would crush my spirit. I would not do anything shameful like cheer for some other team, but I would lose 90% of my interest in IUBB. It would become irrelevant to me like the NFL & NBA have. 

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Probably not. But they’re 4-8 right now and judging from their message boards UK fans are more pissed about him than we are Archie. 

24 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Agreed, Cal is less realistic than Stevens in my mind and I don't think Stevens is realistic. 

I wasn't enthusiastic about Archie (in fact I was quite disappointed) but came around when he recruited Romeo and hoped for the best.

Hiring Alford would crush my spirit. I would not do anything shameful like cheer for some other team, but I would lose 90% of my interest in IUBB. It would become irrelevant to me like the NFL & NBA have. 

I'd have the same interest as I do now unless we were winning. 

20 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The university is never going to hire a coach that's got a questionable history with the NCAA so you can forget about Calipari, Pearl and several others.

You’re not wrong, but if we’re reduced to squeaky clean coaches who can win without playing any of the modern recruiting games, well, we’ll keep being the Indiana of the past two decades instead of the Indiana of the three decades before. 

13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It's honestly getting to the point where.. why should we fans give two sh!ts? They don't care to win and compete on a national stage or even in conference, so why should we continue caring so much? Eventually they'll learn when Assembly Hall is empty. 

See the prescient post from Josh a few pages back--

• You will continue to care,
  • You will continue to root for and anguish over the Hoosiers, and
  • You will relish the chance for you, and someday you and your kids, to see games at Assembly Hall.

And so will the vast majority of the IU fanbase.

40 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Calipari is not an option. No way IU alums would be okay with him at the helm. If we took such a risk, his shadiness would catch up to him under our watch. He’s a slime ball!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Calipari doesn’t do anything that the other top head coaches don’t do. Bill Self, Izzy, Coach K. They’re all full of slime, and they’re celebrated for it. Their fans enjoy tournament run after tournament run because of it. 

There’s nothing wrong with wanting IU to do things the right way and not behave like those schools. But if that’s what you want, you have to adjust your expectations accordingly. I don’t think Archie is any worse of a coach than his brother. The biggest difference between the two is what their respective schools allow them to do. Sean is allowed to do whatever he wants and he’s made 5 sweet 16s and 3 elite 8s in the past decade.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

See the prescient post from Josh a few pages back-- you will continue to care, you will continue to root for and anguish over the Hoosiers, and you will relish the chance for you, and someday you and your kids, to see games at Assembly Hall. And so will the vast majority of the rest of the IU fanbase.

I don't pay to go to games now. Why would I if this crap continues?

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

See the prescient post from Josh a few pages back--

• You will continue to care,
  • You will continue to root for and anguish over the Hoosiers, and
  • You will relish the chance for you, and someday you and your kids, to see games at Assembly Hall.

And so will the vast majority of the IU fanbase.

I think the apathy does set in though as we continue to languish in mediocrity. I am sure Dolson sees this more and if there is a financial impact. Personally my week used to revolve around making sure I could watch every game to now just watching occasionally. Usually I wait to see how they are doing before deciding to watch. 

my company also used to be a corporate sponsor and we had season Bball and Football tickets. We dropped that at the end of the 2020 school year because we struggled to give away these tickets to our customers.  With footballs improvement I could see some interest returning here but basketball apathy really dropped off with our customers the last few years. 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I think the apathy does set in though as we continue to languish in mediocrity. I am sure Dolson sees this more and if there is a financial impact. Personally my week used to revolve around making sure I could watch every game to now just watching occasionally. Usually I wait to see how they are doing before deciding to watch. 

my company also used to be a corporate sponsor and we had season Bball and Football tickets. We dropped that at the end of the 2020 school year because we struggled to give away these tickets to our customers.  With footballs improvement I could see some interest returning here but basketball apathy really dropped off with our customers the last few years. 

Those balcony seats will be largely empty for sure. 

The lower level below row 35 seats will be really hard to get, but far cheaper on StubHub if we continue our slide.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, as you alluded to, alumni contributions will deteriorate if we have no pulse. And that is a real, high-value consideration that will be balanced against the cost of any hire or buyout. 

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Here’s a thing to consider too and I’m sure Dolson keeps a close eye on it.  The average age of donors.  We’ve been terrible for so long if you apathetic about the basketball team when in your in school because they stink. What are the odds you get excited after you graduate. So then when you start making money you aren’t invested in the teams success. 

So something critical for me is I want a coach that has had success at a high level and won a conference tournament at least once. I would rather find a guy that’s made a sweet sixteen or 2 but managed to a conference tourney versus a guy who had one good run in the tourney. 

Success in conference and conference tournaments is key to getting a good seed.  Archie had the top seed 4 times in the A10 tourney and couldn’t win it.  We had a play in game against OSU and we couldn’t be bothered to show up. People might hate them but conference tourneys matter.