Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

I agree, I think you were mostly in agreement with me too. Crean would still be here if he was making the tourney every year and a sweet 16 every third year. Some fans would be getting restless we hadn’t surpassed the sweet 16 but if we are making the tourney every year and winning a few games in the tourney every other year it would keep people interested, tuned in, caring. 

Right. And logically, a tourney team every year who makes it to the sweet 16 every 3rd will consistently be a top 25 team, many times a top 10 team, and would be recruiting well. Knowing where we are now....holy cow if we had that for the last 13 years and we were on here complaining (I’m putting myself squarely in the camp who would have serious questions)...I’d take that blissful ignorance every day of the week right now. 

31 minutes ago, Treesh said:

One thing to consider is COVID and the amount of money IU Athletics has lost this year and last year alone. 

Let’s be honest, if we’re going to fire him it’s going to be when his buy out his 50% cheaper. Will Archie and his agent agree to leave money on the table? No lol. 

Yup. Has to be booster money to happen at the end of the year. 

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm watching games no matter the coach. I just hope they win. Would Alford be great? No. Did he make a mistake at Iowa? Absolutely. But I'm sure he could give us better basketball than the trash we have to watch right now. 

Seriously doubt it. He had a shot in the B1G and it wasn't pretty.

12 minutes ago, cthomas said:

That's probably true. The Iowa incident is a bridge too far for me. How he handled that cannot be forgiven in my mind.

It’s one thing to embrace Alford as a former player. It’s another thing to sit down as AD and select him to lead the program. But with IU, they always seem to screw things up, so maybe will be the next coach. Lol

RE: Alford

When he was at SW Missouri State (or whatever it is called) I really, really wanted him to eventually be the IU coach. I was jealous of Iowa when they snagged him.

The Iowa off the court stuff soured me on him.

Aside from the off the court stuff.....Alford has had two power 5 jobs and both Iowa and UCLA, and their fans, could not wait for him to get out of town (they were THRILLED when he was gone). I’m too lazy to look it up but is there a successful power 5 coach out there that was “run out of town” in each of their first two power 5 gigs? I doubt it.

When Archie was hired my exact words were it feels like someone just kicked me in the nuts. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I gave him a shot and hoped I was wrong. Unfortunately it looks like I was right. We need to get the next hire right. I’d rather pay more and get the best coach, than keep losing and have to buy out all the wrong choices .

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just now, hoosierbannerd said:

guess you missed this-  :)

Posted Saturday at 07:30 PM
Also, Matta looks like Norman Dale... can't go wrong there!

Totally missed it. We used to say during OSU-IU games “Just because you’re Gene Hackman doesn’t make you a Hoosier” 

But as of right now he is my #1 choice. Proven B1G winner. Could be great.

1 hour ago, jk34 said:

Would you still feel the same way, if it was your wife or daughter?

Move on?

Winning basketball games is more important,  than morals?

I understand forgiveness,  however,  move on?

Wow

Plus apologies don’t include the phrase “I don’t think anything I did was wrong”

12 hours ago, MemphisHoosier said:

For fun, here are my tiers for the next 12-18 months:

Low-Likelihood, Home Run Hires

1) Chris Beard

2) Billy Donovan (super-low likelihood)

'Most Likely', Solid Category

1) Nate Oats

2) Mike White

3) Eric Musselman

4) Steve Prohm (on the fence here)

Short Term, Turn-Around

1) Thad Matta 

Eric Musseleman would drive the fanbase up the wall I believe. He's Tom Crean 2.0. He's a salesman and is best fit at a Football school like he is now. Although, I wouldn't say Arkansas is a powerhouse by any means. To my understanding, Arkansas fans are 50/50 on Musseleman. 

Tier 1:

Stevens

Billy D

Tier 2:

Beard

Tier 3:

Oats (Still doing homework on him) 

IU Tier:

Dane Fife