Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

That's cool.  I am just a bit surprised to see Avery Johnson as your #2, but it makes sense seeing as how he crushed it at Alabama in his four years - w/one 20 win season and one NCAA tournament appearance.  

529528637_ScreenShot2021-01-18at7_13_08PM.thumb.png.9921e58b77ae985d1f70b345c58405a0.png

But I guess he could make a better successor than the '60+ Club' candidates you have at #1, JB, & #4, Altman.  

Oh yeah, don't get me started on your #3 candidate, Alford, and his experience in Iowa City, please feel free to Google 'Pierre Pierce 2002 sexual assault cover-up.'

Other than that..your list gets a gold star LCS = )

I don't really care about that. He's apologized for his actions about that. Move on. 

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

You should grab one anyway but I agree. Some of the names being thrown out are worse than what we have.

I wonder how Peegs forum feels about a new coach and some of the names maybe being listed over there. Twitter wants Archie gone yesterday but I never see any names as replacements. Well I see Beard but I think Beards name gets thrown around like Shaka Smart did a few years. Although he appears to be a solid coach. 

2 hours ago, Magisterium said:

yes, the buyout is (approx.) $10 million after April 1st but, perhaps more importantly, it's only about $3.5 million after April 1st of 2022, which is why I suspect AM is in no danger currently. Even if he somehow misses the tournament again.

If he does, however, I would assume both he and Dolson realistically regard next season as make-or-break. Which IMO they should.

Yup. I understand the money aspect.  Which would mean IU cares more about money than winning. Dolson needs to go fundraising if the team continues to struggle. Because nothing in 3.5 years indicates that Archie will make IU a top 4 conference team. If Archie gets us in the NCAA’s this year, by all means go to next season as the make or break. But there will be plenty of work to be done as TJD is likely gone. 

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Pretend that Alford never played here. Now, someone convince me why his resumé is good enough. 

He does have as many Sweet 16s as Indiana does the last 25 years... He did somehow make New Mexico really good in a time the Mountain was actually really good. What he did at UCLA would have given him an auto 15 years. 

One thing to consider is COVID and the amount of money IU Athletics has lost this year and last year alone. 

Let’s be honest, if we’re going to fire him it’s going to be when his buy out his 50% cheaper. Will Archie and his agent agree to leave money on the table? No lol. 

Just now, Treesh said:

One thing to consider is COVID and the amount of money IU Athletics has lost this year and last year alone. 

Let’s be honest, if we’re going to fire him it’s going to be when his buy out his 50% cheaper. Will Archie and his agent agree to leave money on the table? No lol. 

Why? Indiana has the donors to make it not matter. Just gotta ask. Mark Cuban could pay it himself. Not sure if Cook donates anymore, but I'd be getting Carl Cook on the phone pretty quick too. 

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I agree. I think talking heads like to say IU fans have too high of expectations but that is so far from true. If crean simply made the tourney every year and a sweet 16 every 3 years abs never further, he would still be here. It was the NIT and CBI stuff that killed him

Call me crazy, but I don’t think IU should have any different expectations in basketball than UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.... We are just so far (time-wise) from being at that level that it’s become harder to imagine. There isn’t anything off the court (facilities, fan base passion, proximity to high level recruits, tv revenue and exposure, etc) preventing us from being that level of a program. 

This would be Crean’s 13th year? Had he consistently made the tournament and we were making a sweet 16 appearance every 3rd year, I agree he would still be here. But make no mistake, we’d be quite restless about him not being the right guy to take us to the next step. Not sure he’d be fired yet, but a significant portion of the fan base would be (rightfully in my opinion) questioning if we want sweet 16s or do we want banners. 

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He does have as many Sweet 16s as Indiana does the last 25 years... He did somehow make New Mexico really good in a time the Mountain was actually really good. What he did at UCLA would have given him an auto 15 years. 

But what Indiana has done the last 25 years has been considered not good enough. So basically he’s not good enough. Better than Archie yea. But good enough. Nah 

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Fair plus what might we still have to do for the football program to sustain success. 

For fun, here are my tiers for the next 12-18 months:

Low-Likelihood, Home Run Hires

1) Chris Beard

2) Billy Donovan (super-low likelihood)

'Most Likely', Solid Category

1) Nate Oats

2) Mike White

3) Eric Musselman

4) Steve Prohm (on the fence here)

Short Term, Turn-Around

1) Thad Matta 

Just now, MemphisHoosier said:

For fun, here are my tiers for the next 12-18 months:

Low-Likelihood, Home Run Hires

1) Chris Beard

2) Billy Donovan (super-low likelihood)

'Most Likely', Solid Category

1) Nate Oats

2) Mike White

3) Eric Musselman

4) Steve Prohm (on the fence here)

Short Term, Turn-Around

1) Thad Matta 

I don’t think Thad has to be short term. Could easily 10+ years hiring his own successor. 

Why? Indiana has the donors to make it not matter. Just gotta ask. Mark Cuban could pay it himself. Not sure if Cook donates anymore, but I'd be getting Carl Cook on the phone pretty quick too. 

I find it amusing when people use the argument why wouldn’t we let’s just use person Xs money to fire someone.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yeah...not really doing it for me. Good try, Skip. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t think Thad has to be short term. Could easily 10+ years hiring his own successor. 

That's fair, I could 100% see that happening in the right situation.  Thad has tremendous midwest connections in the HS & grassroots scenes as well.

I have become numb to IU basketball over the past few years. That is the biggest insult to the program that I can give as a lifelong fan.

Hiring Alford won’t help me personally become more interested. A revitalized interest may not come easy for me, and will take time, but not with Alford or Archie (unless things drastically change very soon).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Call me crazy, but I don’t think IU should have any different expectations in basketball than UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.... We are just so far (time-wise) from being at that level that it’s become harder to imagine. There isn’t anything off the court (facilities, fan base passion, proximity to high level recruits, tv revenue and exposure, etc) preventing us from being that level of a program. 

This would be Crean’s 13th year? Had he consistently made the tournament and we were making a sweet 16 appearance every 3rd year, I agree he would still be here. But make no mistake, we’d be quite restless about him not being the right guy to take us to the next step. Not sure he’d be fired yet, but a significant portion of the fan base would be (rightfully in my opinion) questioning if we want sweet 16s or do we want banners. 

I agree, I think you were mostly in agreement with me too. Crean would still be here if he was making the tourney every year and a sweet 16 every third year. Some fans would be getting restless we hadn’t surpassed the sweet 16 but if we are making the tourney every year and winning a few games in the tourney every other year it would keep people interested, tuned in, caring.