Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Man I really like Bruce Pearl. I think Auburn is his last stop, but I really like him. Great coach, wins everywhere he goes, super high energy guy, i think he would bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm and success to IU.

He’s been involved in some violation type stuff, but everything I know about him, being from Southern Indiana, all his former players love him, booster club member from other stops and other coaches in the office really liked him. Definitely isn’t afraid to play the game but far more sleazy coaches out there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I like him. Took USI to a National Championship. Can we trust him to follow the rules? I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Speaking of Huggins, That would be intriguing. I do not think it will happen . I heard he likes at WVU

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Zero chance IU would hire Huggins. He is the closest thing to Knight temperment wise still coaching.

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The crazier thing is that Alford had made the NCAA tourney in 4 out of 5 years with 3 trips to the Sweet 16. UCLA still fired him after starting 7-6.

It’s UCLA like it’s Indiana. 

Sweet 16 shouldn’t cut it at Indiana as it shouldn’t cut it at UCLA. 

What does a Tonagel coached team look like? Anyone follow his teams closely? Well balanced offense and defense? No gimmicks? His name has come up before and again in this thread.

assuming he is a decent human being with enthusiasm and charisma and wants to be on a big stage, if he surrounded himself with assistants that knew D-1 basketball recruiting and even Bigten recruiting like a Lewis, Cheaney,  Fife it would be really intriguing 

Man, none of you are going to stop watching IU basketball if we hire somebody you don’t like.  

I hated the thought of hiring Archie Miller.  I could see that his offense was garbage and he had a personality that turns people off.  Hiring him was the most disappointing day in my 4 decades of IU fandom.

But I've watched every game.  You will too.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Man, none of you are going to stop watching IU basketball if we hire somebody you don’t like.  

I hated the thought of hiring Archie Miller.  I could see that his offense was garbage and he had a personality that turns people off.  Hiring him was the most disappointing day in my 4 decades of IU fandom.

I quit watching after Syracuse for a good year. And I was a student at IU! 

Most disappointing thing I’ve ever witnessed in my youngish life. In terms of sports anyways. 

3 hours ago, Treesh said:

While that seems logical, he’s going to get another full season. Dolson needs to do his homework for his first major hire, he can’t rush the most important job at Indiana. 

Plus, the buyout. Here’s some more info on the buyout

https://www.insidethehall.com/2017/06/27/archie-miller-to-earn-average-of-335-million-annually-on-eight-year-contract/

It doesn’t take a year to do homework. If he was smart he would have already been doing his homework. If he hasn’t, then he has 2.5 months of homework to be doing. The buyout is $10 mil after April 1st. Thats booster money. He need to go raise the funds. He has an entire department at his disposal to help with that homework. I don’t think it will happen but it should unless Archie does better. Who cares if Archie finds out. He needs a fire kit under his arse anyway. 

18 minutes ago, Treesh said:

It’s UCLA like it’s Indiana. 

Sweet 16 shouldn’t cut it at Indiana as it shouldn’t cut it at UCLA. 

Sweet 16s do cut it at Indiana. Crean would still be here if he didn’t have so many low years in between the good. There was too much bottoming out under Crean. 

10 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Sweet 16s do cut it at Indiana. Crean would still be here if he didn’t have so many low years in between the good. There was too much bottoming out under Crean. 

I agree. I think talking heads like to say IU fans have too high of expectations but that is so far from true. If crean simply made the tourney every year and a sweet 16 every 3 years abs never further, he would still be here. It was the NIT and CBI stuff that killed him

24 minutes ago, Feathery said:

It doesn’t take a year to do homework. If he was smart he would have already been doing his homework. If he hasn’t, then he has 2.5 months of homework to be doing. The buyout is $10 mil after April 1st. Thats booster money. He need to go raise the funds. He has an entire department at his disposal to help with that homework. I don’t think it will happen but it should unless Archie does better. Who cares if Archie finds out. He needs a fire kit under his arse anyway. 

yes, the buyout is (approx.) $10 million after April 1st but, perhaps more importantly, it's only about $3.5 million after April 1st of 2022, which is why I suspect AM is in no danger currently. Even if he somehow misses the tournament again.

If he does, however, I would assume both he and Dolson realistically regard next season as make-or-break. Which IMO they should.

34 minutes ago, Josh said:

Nope some stuff goes beyond basketball 

12 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

yes, the buyout is (approx.) $10 million after April 1st but, perhaps more importantly, it's only about $3.5 million after April 1st of 2022, which is why I suspect AM is in no danger currently. Even if he somehow misses the tournament again.

If he does, however, I would assume both he and Dolson realistically regard next season as make-or-break. Which IMO they should.

Isn’t it just as likely that Dolson and AM can come to a settlement where AM leaves this year and we pay him more that the $3.5 but less than the $10 million?  

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Isn’t it just as likely that Dolson and AM can come to a settlement where AM leaves this year and we pay him more that the $3.5 but less than the $10 million?  

Yes, that is entirely possible.

It is far more possible if we tank than if we go 8-12 in the B1G.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes, that is entirely possible.

It is far more possible if we tank than if we go 8-12 in the B1G.

Isnt 8-12 tanking? That’s pretty awful

8-12 isn’t getting us into the tourney so that would be 3 seasons without a postseason and 1 where we barely made it. 

13 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Isnt 8-12 tanking? That’s pretty awful

8-12 isn’t getting us into the tourney so that would be 3 seasons without a postseason and 1 where we barely made it. 

Nope—that is about the current expectation based on who we still play.

It could get a whole lot worse.  Do you know how many remaining games we have against Nebraska, Penn St, and Maryland?

ZERO

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Nope—that is about the current expectation based on who we still play.

It could get a whole lot worse.  Do you know how many remaining games we have against Nebraska, Penn St, and Maryland?

ZERO

I think that is a fair assumption and I think it puts him into a dangerous position. If his players love him and it is reasonable to think we will be better next year he may be back. If his players do not like him and Dolson feels he will have the same results and that the fan support will turn ugly then he may act early.