Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

4 minutes ago, tomallenfan said:

I know this may sound self-righteous because we have all made mistakes in our lives, but I would not go to another IU game if they were to hire Alford.

I would rather IU go another 20 years of mediocre play under Archie.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I feel this way about Alford -- and Bruce Pearl. I've seen plenty of people on this board mention him -- something about him just really, really bugs me. To me, he just exudes sleaziness. He's the kind of guy who if I was in a room with, after he left, I'd want to check to make sure I still had everything with me -- and then go take a shower. Hell, I'd rather bring back Kelvin Sampson than to even consider Bruce Pearl. 

Oh great IU could (potentially) also be competing with pUKe (potentially) for a new coach....potentially
Kentucky basketball: 10 potential replacements for John Calipari (fansided.com)
Apparently Big Blew Nation isn't as genteel and patient as the Hoosier faithful.
From the Article

"What amounts to a lifetime contract also means Calipari isn’t going anywhere,"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

One thing about Matta -- the last I saw, Wichita State had him on their radar for next season. But if we're looking for a coach after next season (barring a winless finish or some other disaster, I think Archie gets at least another year) and Matta has taken the WSU job, I would think even though it might not be the greatest of optics, if we wanted him, he'd come -- even after one season. Who remembers that Huggy Bear bolted Kansas State after a season?

All that said, I'm not fully on the "Fire Archie" bandwagon yet -- but I'm getting closer. 
Speaking of Huggins, That would be intriguing. I do not think it will happen . I heard he likes at WVU

I’ll probably go Virginia. You can’t fire a guy for recruiting violations citing standards and morals then hire a guy like Alford who abused a rape victim. 
I'd go Eastern Illinois. I'm only 30 minutes from campus. Not really. I'd probably go Northwestern, although my boys would push for Sparty.

I feel this way about Alford -- and Bruce Pearl. I've seen plenty of people on this board mention him -- something about him just really, really bugs me. To me, he just exudes sleaziness. He's the kind of guy who if I was in a room with, after he left, I'd want to check to make sure I still had everything with me -- and then go take a shower. Hell, I'd rather bring back Kelvin Sampson than to even consider Bruce Pearl. 

I wouldn't watch another Hoosier game as long as Pearl, Calipari, or Sampson was here if those 3 happened.

Add Wade Archie's older brother, or Self

Man I really like Bruce Pearl. I think Auburn is his last stop, but I really like him. Great coach, wins everywhere he goes, super high energy guy, i think he would bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm and success to IU.

He’s been involved in some violation type stuff, but everything I know about him, being from Southern Indiana, all his former players love him, booster club member from other stops and other coaches in the office really liked him. Definitely isn’t afraid to play the game but far more sleazy coaches out there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Man I really like Bruce Pearl. I think Auburn is his last stop, but I really like him. Great coach, wins everywhere he goes, super high energy guy, i think he would bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm and success to IU.

He’s been involved in some violation type stuff, but everything I know about him, being from Southern Indiana, all his former players love him, booster club member from other stops and other coaches in the office really liked him. Definitely isn’t afraid to play the game but far more sleazy coaches out there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
Nah. I'm not an Illinois fan. I'm an hour from their campus straight north. But after the way he used Deon Thomas to get them in trouble, I am a hard no.

3 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I fail to believe any IU fans will quit watching because of the coach if that coach is winning. Also Alford haters better prepare themselves for him to be a legitimate contender next go around.

Unfortunately he will probably be a candidate. But this next hire will define Dolson’s career. Will he settle for a coach who has never made then elite 8? Will he settle for a coach and program that is fine with a Sweet 16? 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

Unfortunately he will probably be a candidate. But this next hire will define Dolson’s career. Will he settle for a coach who has never made then elite 8? Will he settle for a coach and program that is fine with a Sweet 16? 

The average IU fan wants an IU guy and more specifically wants Alford.

42 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'd go Eastern Illinois. I'm only 30 minutes from campus. Not really. I'd probably go Northwestern, although my boys would push for Sparty.

I might even go Indiana Wesleyan and Tonagel: https://iwuwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/greg-tonagel/10

Edited by Magisterium

Anybody see aj Guyton interview with Steve alford? I didn't have time to listen to it yet either but my thoughts were this could be a beginning to easing him back with iu fans? Just something to keep a eye on. Also I now think this could be the year archie is fired. We held on to crean but he was still winning big ten titles outright. I mean just think how far from that reality we have fallen. Also what glass said we were looking for with the next hire we are no where near competing for championships we are no where near competing for big ten let alone anything else. I get covid and the buyout but Archie's first 3 and a half years may be the worst 3 year stretch for a coach at iu. Some of you stat guys can check to compare I would be interested. Obviously past 1960

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I consider myself a pretty average IU fan and I don't want Alford.  

Im not talking about fans who frequent boards. Maybe casual is a better word. These fans were not excited with the Archie hire and will push for Alford next time.

44 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I fail to believe any IU fans will quit watching because of the coach if that coach is winning. Also Alford haters better prepare themselves for him to be a legitimate contender next go around.

I don't doubt you are right, but as others have stated the real question is "why?" what has he done to earn that? There are a dozen other coaches with better cred and less baggage. Being an all-time great player has no bearing on being a coach, IMO. 

1 minute ago, Alford Bailey said:

Im not talking about fans who frequent boards. Maybe casual is a better word. These fans were not excited with the Archie hire and will push for Alford next time.

Guess I’ll see you in 2025 when we’re looking for another new coach.