Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

10 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Oh great IU could (potentially) also be competing with pUKe (potentially) for a new coach....potentially

Kentucky basketball: 10 potential replacements for John Calipari (fansided.com)

Apparently Big Blew Nation isn't as genteel and patient as the Hoosier faithful.

Interesting list. The one that threw me a bit was Brad Brownell. He's from Indiana and played alongside Calbert at Evansville Harrison, so props to him for that (LOL) -- but I don't think he's really distinguished himself at Clemson. At least not enough to be considered a No. 4 candidate for the Kentucky gig (if they did it in order of preference). 

One thing about Matta -- the last I saw, Wichita State had him on their radar for next season. But if we're looking for a coach after next season (barring a winless finish or some other disaster, I think Archie gets at least another year) and Matta has taken the WSU job, I would think even though it might not be the greatest of optics, if we wanted him, he'd come -- even after one season. Who remembers that Huggy Bear bolted Kansas State after a season?

All that said, I'm not fully on the "Fire Archie" bandwagon yet -- but I'm getting closer. 

19 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

One thing about Matta -- the last I saw, Wichita State had him on their radar for next season. But if we're looking for a coach after next season (barring a winless finish or some other disaster, I think Archie gets at least another year) and Matta has taken the WSU job, I would think even though it might not be the greatest of optics, if we wanted him, he'd come -- even after one season. Who remembers that Huggy Bear bolted Kansas State after a season?

All that said, I'm not fully on the "Fire Archie" bandwagon yet -- but I'm getting closer. 

Im not sold on a coach who hasn’t coached in four years and was in declining health and overall program success. 

I’d like to think we can do better than Thad Matta.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

The more I think about it the more I think Dolson needs to make a move this off-season. The recruiting class for next year is 1 player and a transfer. If we wait another season and the struggling continues, then we make a change, that’s going to be back to back classes with subpar recruiting. That puts the next coach at a talent deficit. Making a move this spring, go find the money, gives the new coach the best set up for stability and talent. We likely lose TJD either way. But the new coach walks into a group of sophs and juniors to build around. Waiting another year and then you have players like Franklin who could graduate early and leave. This off-season is the best time for a change to have the least amount of holes. 

While that seems logical, he’s going to get another full season. Dolson needs to do his homework for his first major hire, he can’t rush the most important job at Indiana. 

Plus, the buyout. Here’s some more info on the buyout

https://www.insidethehall.com/2017/06/27/archie-miller-to-earn-average-of-335-million-annually-on-eight-year-contract/

Just throwing this out there, but Matta considered taking the Georgia job. It was his for the taking, but he ultimately declined it.

The man is feeling better and wants to coach. It's a matter of trusting that his body will hold up and finding the right situation. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Absolutely. But is he healthy is the question. If he isn’t Dolson will need other candidates. Which means to me.... an IU guy. Though I’m starting to believe that it’s worth a try with the correct setup. Someone that has some sweat equity might be what’s needed to right the ship. 

Although I don’t really think an IU guy is necessary for us to get back to a competitive level of play, it is something that Dolson will have pressure to do. He was a central figure getting RMK back and the former players may push for that. Hopefully they push for the best guy but they may feel an IU guy is that. 

Brad Stevens is at the top of the mountain. He would have plenty of NBA Gm’s hire him if he was available . The only time I ever see an NBA coach come back to college is if they are failing. Stevens is one of the top coaches in the league. It’s not happening people!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

Brad Stevens is at the top of the mountain. He would have plenty of NBA Gm’s hire him if he was available . The only time I ever see an NBA coach come back to college is if they are failing. Stevens is one of the top coaches in the league. It’s not happening people!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Problem is , will Stevens accept just any NBA job? I don’t think so. He hasn’t won at Boston yet and that’s not changing. We probably have a better chance at winning a cake walk at our local church than Stevens coming home but it’s worth a phone call at the very least. 

4 minutes ago, hper50 said:

If we fire Archie & hire Alford, I’m buying Butler season tickets ...

*ducks*

If that happens then I’m deleting my account here and putting my Indiana Basketball clothing away for a few years. LOL

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm not sold on a guy who is 15 games under .500 in his one head coaching gig. 

I get it, trust me. But I’d rather give a new guy a chance than Steve running this program into the definition of mediocre. To be clear, neither of them are on my very very short list of candidates. 

7 minutes ago, hper50 said:

If we fire Archie & hire Alford, I’m buying Butler season tickets ...

*ducks*

I’ll probably go Virginia. You can’t fire a guy for recruiting violations citing standards and morals then hire a guy like Alford who abused a rape victim. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’ll probably go Virginia. You can’t fire a guy for recruiting violations citing standards and morals then hire a guy like Alford who abused a rape victim. 

Yep. Even if he were to win a NCAA title at Nevada, I just can't get past that Pierre Pierce situation. And Alford just continually doubled down on how he handled it until he got to UCLA -- when he issued a very faint, insincere sort-of apology. 

If at some point the call is made to move on from Archie, I hope I absolutely hate the decision on his replacement . Because my track record on these things isn't very good: I initially liked the Crean hire. I initially liked the Miller hire. I initially hated the Tom Allen hire. ... LOL! 

I have no loyalty to former IU players as possible IU coaches. But Steve Alford is a much superior coach than Archie Miller. Archie is 20-25 years behind the times. Alford may not be the ideal coach for IU but he at least understands how to coach contemporary basketball. Frankly, imo, Archie is the worst IU coach since Lou Watson (who was fired before IU hired Bobby Knight). He is a terrible game coach and has locked his players into a rigid offensive scheme that has little chance of succeeding. BTW, I have watched or attending nearly every IU basketball game since the Lou Watson era.