Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 hours ago, Treesh said:

I think the nice thing about this process is that we’ll have the next two seasons to evaluate Oats and Beard.

Maybe the Celtics fall apart? 

Lets see what potential candidates can do these next two years and then attack. Personally for me, I’d pass on Thad Matt’s. He’s been out of the game for 4 years now.  

Beard  1) doesn't need further evaluation and 2) likely has no interest in IU, IMO. Oats? Who knows at this point. And I don't see a scenario where Dolson can wait beyond next spring (season 5)--either Miller salvages something out of this season and/or makes some real, tangible progress in 2021-22, or the issue becomes unavoidable.

I've always felt that the likelihood of Brad S returning to college basketball was greater than most people assumed. Sure, he didn't like college recruiting, but MOST COACHES DON"T EITHER and at some point he may think he's taken the Celtics as far as he can, even with all those "awesome" draft picks Ainge accumulated.

Brad has to know that if he returned to college BB he wouldn't have to work nearly as hard recruiting kids as he did at Butler--he would just have to pick the right school and rely on his reputation/image as Butler's F4 coach and the Celtics coach. Which makes me still wonder whether he might ultimately end up at, yes, Duke or maybe UNC. But not, unfortunately, at Indiana.

Edited by Magisterium

Getting the right coach may not be as easy as some think. Branch McCracken and Bob Knight won all five of our banners. I doubt many here watched the McCracken teams, but let me just say, they were fun. They weren't called the 'Hurryin hoosiers' for nothing. Then we got Coach Knight. That was culture shock. If you think we are boring on offense now, you should have seen Knight's offense pre shot clock. Especially in the early years. He adapted to a degree but not enough to understand the changing nature of kids. Our basketball legacy is built on the backs of two coaches. Speculation is fun, I guess, and hope springs eternal..... I hope, when the time comes, we find the right one. Maybe, at this point, we are due. 

9 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Getting the right coach may not be as easy as some think. Branch McCracken and Bob Knight won all five of our banners. I doubt many here watched the McCracken teams, but let me just say, they were fun. They weren't called the 'Hurryin hoosiers' for nothing. Then we got Coach Knight. That was culture shock. If you think we are boring on offense now, you should have seen Knight's offense pre shot clock. Especially in the early years. He adapted to a degree but not enough to understand the changing nature of kids. Our basketball legacy is built on the backs of two coaches. Speculation is fun, I guess, and hope springs eternal..... I hope, when the time comes, we find the right one. Maybe, at this point, we are due. 

And those Knight teams still scored more than we do now. And Knight was never scared to run if it worked. His style was about playing smart, not slow and tentative. 

29 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

Beard  1) doesn't need further evaluation and 2) likely has no interest in IU, IMO. Oats? Who knows at this point. And I don't see a scenario where Dolson can wait beyond next spring (season 5)--either Miller salvages something out of this season and/or makes some real, tangible progress in 2021-22, or the issue becomes unavoidable.

I've always felt that the likelihood of Brad S returning to college basketball was greater than most people assumed. Sure, he didn't like college recruiting, but MOST COACHES DON"T EITHER and at some point he may think he's taken the Celtics as far as he can, even with all those "awesome" draft picks Ainge accumulated.

Brad has to know that if he returned to college BB he wouldn't have to work nearly as hard recruiting kids as he did at Butler--he would just have to pick the right school and rely on his reputation/image as Butler's F4 coach and the Celtics coach. Which makes me still wonder whether he might ultimately end up at, yes, Duke or maybe UNC. But not, unfortunately, at Indiana.

Stevens ain't returning. Why would he? He has a Top 10 talent on his roster and another Top 25 guy. Tatum and Brown will keep them in a good spot and they are young. The Celtics have proven they can build a team, Stevens has zero reason to ever leave.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And those Knight teams still scored more than we do now. And Knight was never scared to run if it worked. His style was about playing smart, not slow and tentative. 

people who assume RMK just took the air out of the ball would do well to find video of his tournament wins over Maryland and, especially, UNLV

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Stevens ain't returning. Why would he? He has a Top 10 talent on his roster and another Top 25 guy. Tatum and Brown will keep them in a good spot and they are young. The Celtics have proven they can build a team, Stevens has zero reason to ever leave.

if he's satisfied with just making the playoffs, then maybe so; if he truly wants to win it all, then I think at some point he may get tired of the NBA grind (and watching other teams leapfrog his via free agency) and consider a return to college where, if he picks the right program, he could coast, comparatively speaking, and still win big and still make as much money as he'll ever need.

I still don't think Brad's situation is as "black and white" as a lot of people make it out to be. On the other hand, I suspect his chances of returning specifically to IU are, unfortunately.

Edited by Magisterium

16 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

They haven’t won anything in his time there. 

15 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

people who assume RMK just took the air out of the ball would do well to find video of his tournament wins over Maryland and, especially, UNLV

I think his teams used to be amongst the tops in the league for scoring. Could be wrong but that was my recollection 

if he's satisfied with just making the playoffs, then maybe so; if he truly wants to win it all, then I think at some point he may get tired of the NBA grind (and watching other teams leapfrog his via free agency) and consider a return to college where, if he picks the right program, he could coast, comparatively speaking, and still win big and still make as much money as he'll ever need.
I still don't think Brad's situation is as "black and white" as a lot of people make it out to be. On the other hand, I suspect his chances of returning specifically to IU are, unfortunately.

Wasn’t there some talk before about Stevens not wanting to work under the IU administration? I wonder why that would be..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

They haven’t won anything in his time there. 

Under Stevens

25-57 Missed Playoffs

40-42 Lost in 1st Round

48-24 Lost in 1st Round

53-29 Lost in Conference Finals

55-27 Lost in Conference Finals

49-33 Lost in 2nd Round

48-24 Lost in Conference Finals

So... Yea... He ain't leaving. 

25 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I said he adapted to a point. But I also remember watching his teams try to run out the clock with three minutes left and a three or four point lead. His motion offense was designed to work off of screens until the defense made a mistake. It was innovative and worked until the shot clock and three point line made it obsolete. He gave up some control with Isaiah because he was a once in a generation point guard, and still probably the best player I have ever watched at IU. My opinion of course. The bigger point was that it's not that easy to find those kind of coaches. We are more likely to be disappointed again than we are to find the next great coach who hangs multiple banners. 

27 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Under Stevens

25-57 Missed Playoffs

40-42 Lost in 1st Round

48-24 Lost in 1st Round

53-29 Lost in Conference Finals

55-27 Lost in Conference Finals

49-33 Lost in 2nd Round

48-24 Lost in Conference Finals

So... Yea... He ain't leaving. 

Not sure if you know the Celtics and the NBA. But the Celtics only want championships. None of what you mentioned includes an NBA championship let alone a conference championship. 

They have one of the worst bench’s in the NBA and are made of two in a half players. There’s no future there for a title. 

52 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Not sure if you know the Celtics and the NBA. But the Celtics only want championships. None of what you mentioned includes an NBA championship let alone a conference championship. 

They have one of the worst bench’s in the NBA and are made of two in a half players. There’s no future there for a title. 

There's a future. Just have to be healthy. 

Kemba

Smart

Brown

Tatum

Thompson

Teague

Williams

Theis

Ojeleye

They just need their young guys to come along. Pritchard, Nesmith, Langford. 

I do think Archie will be here another year solely due to the buyout, COVID hurdles, and the revenue deficit ADs and universities as a whole are facing this year.  But it’s not going to be pretty, next year should be no better, and then we’re looking at a new coach and another rebuild. See you guys in 2024! 

2 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

I do think Archie will be here another year solely due to the buyout, COVID hurdles, and the revenue deficit ADs and universities as a whole are facing this year.  But it’s not going to be pretty, next year should be no better, and then we’re looking at a new coach and another rebuild. See you guys in 2024! 

Why a rebuild?

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

I agree with this to a large extent.  They have been building to contend for a title for quite some time at this point but are yet to reach an NBA Finals.  As LCS listed, there is a lot of talent on that roster and they have had a ton of draft capital for a team that successful.  I could see the Celtics and Stevens eventually parting ways if they don't get over the hump, however Stevens would immediately be the #1 candidate for probably all other NBA jobs open that offseason.  I think whether or not he ever falls back to the college game would depend on what those openings were.  I've always felt the fact it was a top-tier organization like the Boston Celtics that offered him was the reason he made the move to the NBA, and that if it was the Sacramento Kings or someone like that who called instead he would have stayed with Butler.

Also, I think the "Stevens hated recruiting" notion, while probably true, may not be such a prohibiting factor.  It sounds like in a lot of cases assistants do most of the work in recruiting, and as @Magisterium alluded to upthread, recruiting for Stevens now at a blue blood would be a lot different than recruiting for him was at Butler 10-12 years ago.  Brad Stevens at Duke, UNC, or even Indiana would sell itself to most kids up to and including 5-stars.  

I'm in no way saying I expect to see Brad at Indiana or any college team anytime soon, I just think that is the pathway to it happening if it ever does.

Edited by craigyv88

16 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

I agree with this to a large extent.  They have been building to contend for a title for quite some time at this point but are yet to reach an NBA Finals.  As LCS listed, there is a lot of talent on that roster and they have had a ton of draft capital for a team that successful.  I could see the Celtics and Stevens eventually parting ways if they don't get over the hump, however Stevens would immediately be the #1 candidate for probably all other NBA jobs open that offseason.  I think whether or not he ever falls back to the college game would depend on what those openings were.  I've always felt the fact it was a top-tier organization like the Boston Celtics that offered him was the reason he made the move to the NBA, and that if it was the Sacramento Kings or someone like that who called instead he would have stayed with Butler.

Also, I think the "Stevens hated recruiting" notion, while probably true, may not be such a prohibiting factor.  It sounds like in a lot of cases assistants do most of the work in recruiting, and as @Magisterium alluded to upthread, recruiting for Stevens now at a blue blood would be a lot different than recruiting for him was at Butler 10-12 years ago.  Brad Stevens at Duke, UNC, or even Indiana would sell itself to most kids up to and including 5-stars.  

I'm in no way saying I expect to see Brad at Indiana or any college team anytime soon, I just think that is the pathway to it happening if it ever does.

They have been "building" for a long time but haven't actually. They are finally getting rewarded for making the Nets look like idiots. Right now Brown is 24 and Tatum is 22. Ainge knows to build a roster around those two and always will. Because that's just what he has been successful doing. The only way Stevens is leaving is either dying or quitting. 

8 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

What talent is this new coach going to be starting with?

No clue. Depends who stays. If he's that bare, then it must be a crappy hire that the guys don't want to play for. Realistically we should still have Franklin, Leal, Lander, Galloway, Geronimo, Duncomb, Stewart from the current roster and commits. 

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

No clue. Depends who stays. If he's that bare, then it must be a crappy hire that the guys don't want to play for. Realistically we should still have Franklin, Leal, Lander, Galloway, Geronimo, Duncomb, Stewart from the current roster and commits. 

Fair point. This team has played so poorly I haven’t given much thought to who’s even on the roster.