Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I think the nice thing about this process is that we’ll have the next two seasons to evaluate Oats and Beard.

Maybe the Celtics fall apart? 

Lets see what potential candidates can do these next two years and then attack. Personally for me, I’d pass on Thad Matt’s. He’s been out of the game for 4 years now.  

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

Nice!  Let me add...

6.  After getting blown out by Fort Wayne and Indiana State..."He doesn't have the talent he needs yet"   As if those teams had more talent

Yes. There are transition costs in coaching changes, and good teams lose to lesser teams all the time. But those teams blew IU out. It wasn’t a talent issue.

We cannot keep whiffing on hires, period.  If we want to get back we have to put our big boy pants on for a change and act like it.  That means instead of looking for excuses for why a coach isn't getting it done we expect them to do their job and fix it, or they get a new job.  That means we fire them when they show they need to be instead of give them a few extra years to royally screw things up so the next guy has built in excuses.  That's where it starts, when we say enough is enough.

We have 12 games left  it is not unreasonable when looking at the matchups to see only 4 wins in there  if we win 4 or less I see a change happening this year.  Now it seems a lot of teams are pulling off surprise wins this year so we should get one too which could/should put us at 5 more wins.  

I would be comfortable making a change if we have 5 wins or less the rest of the regular season (assuming no run in the BTT).  

I think if we have seen this board largely accept that he is not the guy at this point I think if we only win 4/5 games the rest of the year Archie better hope that we play well in the losses too  otherwise I think the remaining support he has across the entire fan base will deteriorate quickly if we don’t find a way to start winning some games  

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

Only make a change if it’s a better coach than you have . I’m okay with keeping an eye on the right hire instead of making the wrong decision now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Archie is historically a terrible coach.  I mean it would be hard to get worse by making a change.  When Tom Crean can throw shade at you it might be time to admit coaching might just not be your thing 

15 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Only make a change if it’s a better coach than you have . I’m okay with keeping an eye on the right hire instead of making the wrong decision now.

Archie will be here even if we win four more games. Dolson has homework to do. We’re better off waiting until next March like you said as the candidates could become more qualified / trusted. 

I remember watching the game vs #1 Duke from Archie's first year where we traded punches with them until the last 90 seconds or so, same thing with our only meeting that season against Purdue who was supposedly the greatest thing to happen to basketball that year.  There were definitely some bad losses that year and the Big Ten was down, but I remember imagining how good things would be once we got more talent and a better overall roster.  We landed Romeo a few months later and had a top-10 class coming in, and I thought we were well on our way.  I would have never guessed that less than three years later we would be this deflated.

Edited by craigyv88

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Archie is historically a terrible coach.  I mean it would be hard to get worse by making a change.  When Tom Crean can throw shade at you it might be time to admit coaching might just not be your thing 

To add context you have to go back over 100 years to find an IU coach that coached a full season and never had a winning big ten record. 

23 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I wonder what Golden State and Toronto were thinking before during Jackson and Casey. Obviously the NBA is different, but this team seems to have the talent to compete but a coach who has zero clue on how to unlock it. 

It makes me sad that we are back here again. I think the thing that is apparent now but that I have been saying for a long time is that his team embodies his personality - stoic, emotionless, quiet, sleepy, boring.

I don’t dislike Archie nor do I dislike the players, but they don’t have “IT”. There is no moxie on the court nor on the bench. There is a such thing as a silent assassin but we don’t have those either. 

on top of just losing a ton of games over the last 4 years, they have just been boring as all can be in all facets and non of that breads excitement and enthusiasm for the now or future. I love IU and if I’m a top recruit I don’t know that I want to go there right now as it looks like nobody is having fun

When you hang your hat on defense being your foundation and identity, but you give up ridiculous percentages from 3 to your opponent, and your guys can’t even hit HORSE shots, you get a thread like this with everyone wanting to find your replacement.

Case in point, we made Purdue look like world-beaters...they are 2/19 from 3 against PSU and up 1 at half

This is has been my stance for awhile. I was behind the Archie hire I thought he was gonna do great. I was wrong. Now, I’m not necessarily a keep Archie guy, I’m a don’t make a move until you for sure know that you can get the homerun Kinda guy.

Not another guy that is up and comer and might be a stud and might not.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

How do you keep a guy that is 0-6 vs your rival? Doyel said it best that loss was the breaking point.

With 4 of those being at home.  

Archies teams just don’t seem to hate losing enough.  They hate it once they are down double digits but they don’t hate enough to try from the get go to avoid getting down double digits.  I’m a firm believer that you should hate losing more than you like winning 

With 4 of those being at home.  

Archies teams just don’t seem to hate losing enough.  They hate it once they are down double digits but they don’t hate enough to try from the get go to avoid getting down double digits.  I’m a firm believer that you should hate losing more than you like winning 

I feel like we have a few players that hate losing. They got better during the pandemic. I believe we have a lot more players that are just happy being at a high D1 program.

On the coaching change..
Who trusts the administration to make the right hire? Dolson should be doing his homework on both ends. With the donors to drum up support for a home run hire and how he can land that candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Archie isn’t bringing in bad kids, bad students, nobody that is going to embarrass the university off the court. That means something but I think it means more to the decision makers at Indiana than it does 99% of the fans. However, we have some new blood in positions of power and they CAN push for more, demand more out of one of the most storied programs in all of college sports.

it sounds harsh as Archie seems like a decent guy and a guy that means well but I believe that the absolute worst thing we can do is keep him too long. It bad for him, bad for us and bad for players and recruits. You cannot wait until there is no pulse to make the change.

I think it’s clear what to do, and in looking back, one of the strange things of the Archie years is how — MSU wins notwithstanding — we’ve never even seen a sort of “dead cat bounce” run of luck where a decent team earned a string of results that made you feel they could be something more. Like if they’d won at UW, beat PU, and upset Iowa next week we might’ve said, “hey, they’re turning a corner,” but they never even strung two of those together.