Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m all aboard the John Calipari train, though. Kentucky is tired of him. Let’s make it happen.

Kentucky is getting tired of him because he is doing an absolutely terrible job coaching their basketball team. After their loss today they are 4-8 with four almost certain losses on the near horizon.

If we took John Calipari away from Kentucky that would be the single greatest thing that could happen to the Kentucky basketball program.

11 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Most would agree with you but realistically no one is going to walk into this particular hornets’ nest of a fan base without contractual writing that grants them one full term to attempt the job, generally accepted as a full recruiting cycle, especially knowing the cupboard could be only partially stocked to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well then a 6 year deal with no buyout after 4

38 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Kentucky is getting tired of him because he is doing an absolutely terrible job coaching their basketball team. After their loss today they are 4-8 with four almost certain losses on the near horizon.

If we took John Calipari away from Kentucky that would be the single greatest thing that could happen to the Kentucky basketball program.

They’re having a terrible year but last year they won their conference and the year before they made the elite eight. He’s not a long-term solution because he’s 61 years old, but we need someone to come in and make the job attractive again. I’m confident he’d be able to get IU turned around. He comes in, makes some tournament runs, and then retires. At that point we could go after whoever we want. I get why you guys don’t want him, but right now I honestly don’t know that we’d improve on Archie if we fired him after this year.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Beard: Fantastic Coach, unrealistic get. Super highly paid already (over $4.5 million annually) but interestingly, a (relatively) small $3 million buyout. Seems very unlikely.

Nate Oats? Also a fantastic coach, and a more realistic get. Currently makes less than Archie. But a $4 million buyout.

Craig Smith, Casey Alexander? Fantastic coaches—but not proven at P5 programs. They come cheap.

Thad Matta? Fantastic, proven P5 coach. apparently healthy again. 53 years old. Currently lives in Indianapolis. Once stated that IU was his dream job. NO buyout. Hmmmm...

Had not thought about Thad. He was offered the Wichita State job late 2020. His daughter is a student at Butler but is a Jr or Sr. 

I think Alabama is likely to have some cash lying around and could have more to offer Nate Oats to stay than we could to leave. 

Thad Matta is a very interesting candidate and one that might be able to get everyone onboard to some degree.

One question I have is some posters talking about Archie starting to get a bad image amongst the players for his attitude. Can anyone elaborate, I haven’t heard that before?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

Slightly off topic but not really...WHY, WHY does every coach in the BIG seem better than ours right now? Even Pitino Jr has his team playing lights-out. Surely Dolson and the donors can see we are light years behind.

Because they all have multiple guys can hit a wide open shot 

For those that don’t think we would act this year, if the players don’t like Archie what happens if some key players decide to transfer. The current transfer waiver, if extended to next year, could allow TJD and Franklin to transfer somewhere and play right away.  Granted you don’t want to allow players to dictate coaching hires but you think it might be inevitable then you might act a year earlier. 

if you were a coaching prospect here the attractiveness of TJD, Franklin and the potential of Phin and Race should help too.  Cupboard is not bare but could be if we wait a year 

Not really....with Sampson it’s a terrible history.
At least Pearl is just as big a scumbag, just as good a coach, and has no bad IU history.

I've said it before. I am a very hard NO on either Pearl or Sampson

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Given the pandemic season I’d be shocked if Archie gets fired this year. It’d take the season really bottoming out, and even that might not be enough. If TJD leaves though we might as well fire him this year because he’ll almost certainly be getting fired after next year in that scenario. 

I’m all aboard the John Calipari train, though. Kentucky is tired of him. Let’s make it happen.
Add him to my HARD NO

2 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Add him to my HARD NO

I get why people don’t want him, but is he worse than the other options we have? I don’t think IU is all that attractive of a job right now. Calipari could turn things around for us for the next hire.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I get why people don’t want him, but is he worse than the other options we have? I don’t think IU is all that attractive of a job right now. Calipari could turn things around for us for the next hire.

1) Calipari isn't taking a pay cut to come here.

2) Our fans have thrown a ton of shade at him over the cancelled series and I doubt he's forgotten any of it. 

Thad Matta is a very interesting candidate and one that might be able to get everyone onboard to some degree.

One question I have is some posters talking about Archie starting to get a bad image amongst the players for his attitude. Can anyone elaborate, I haven’t heard that before?

I don’t think it is definitive but one poster heard it from a guy who trains a couple players.

I have had a chance to visit some behind the scenes the last few years and while nothing major happened, the player coach relationship never seemed comfortable. Then you add the senior night speeches where players don’t really gush about Archie. They often thank the staff but you just don’t hear what you might expect.

So no smoking guns really but it seems to me that this is a possibility. Some coaches can get away with it, even Archie at a smaller school, but he might not be able to yet here

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

31 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

For those that don’t think we would act this year, if the players don’t like Archie what happens if some key players decide to transfer. The current transfer waiver, if extended to next year, could allow TJD and Franklin to transfer somewhere and play right away.  Granted you don’t want to allow players to dictate coaching hires but you think it might be inevitable then you might act a year earlier. 

if you were a coaching prospect here the attractiveness of TJD, Franklin and the potential of Phin and Race should help too.  Cupboard is not bare but could be if we wait a year 

Maybe we should ask ourselves if they are even good enough to care... They aren't winning us a bunch of games. Archie isn't either. But the notion that you have to start over with a coaching change is ridiculous. Ohio State didn't, Michigan didn't, UCLA didn't. So why does Indiana?

14 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I don’t think it is definitive but one poster heard it from a guy who trains a couple players.

I have had a chance to visit some behind the scenes the last few years and while nothing major happened, the player coach relationship never seemed comfortable. Then you add the senior night speeches where players don’t really gush about Archie. They often thank the staff but you just don’t hear what you might expect.

So no smoking guns really but it seems to me that this is a possibility. Some coaches can get away with it, even Archie at a smaller school, but he might not be able to yet here

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

He just needs to win. I imagine a lot of top coaches are dicks. I can’t imagine that someone like Coach K is warm and fuzzy. But if you keep missing the tournament then players aren’t going to put up with it. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He just needs to win. I imagine a lot of top coaches are dicks. I can’t imagine that someone like Coach K is warm and fuzzy. But if you keep missing the tournament then players aren’t going to put up with it. 

I'd say K probably has a personality enough to connect with his players. Even Knight did. Archie though.. dude just seems blank. 

39 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Maybe we should ask ourselves if they are even good enough to care... They aren't winning us a bunch of games. Archie isn't either. But the notion that you have to start over with a coaching change is ridiculous. Ohio State didn't, Michigan didn't, UCLA didn't. So why does Indiana?

It's Indiana, here a coach can't just prove they're not good enough.  They must have another 2-3 years to figuratively smear s*** all over the place.

I think the terrible history has been overblown. For the negative out of control things that his players were doing Crean had similar issues in his supposedly squeaky clean tenure. Heck one of Creans player ran one of his teammates over for gods sake

No, the two aren’t close. Yes, the “one teammate hitting another that didn’t really happen but it did” incident was bad. What was generally accepted while Sampson was here is nothing I want IU basketball to be associated with.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app