Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

34. Daughter was conceived in July 2016.  I actually first heard of Crean getting canned at the hospital.  I do not understand the complaints about 2 year olds. 3 year olds on the other hand....

My youngest is also 3 and is going through a phase where like clockwork at 3:30 am she gets up and comes down to our room.   Good times.  

some disturbing numbers here regarding IU and the tournament.  This puts it into perspective how bad IU has been.  
Since 1994 IU has only been a top 4 seed 3 times in the years they have made the tourney(2001-4 seed, 2012-4 seed, 2013-1 seed)

since 2003 the only top 8 seed win IU has had was against Kentucky in 2016 (Kentucky was a 4 seed).   All other wins in the tournament  during this time have  came against teams seeded 9th or worse. 
(10, 11, 10, 13, 12, 16, 9, 12, 4) 

those are the wins in the tournament for IU since 2003.  

knowing that timeframe was  bad is one thing but writing it out makes it even worse.    Tough pill to swallow for the fans that were used to a different era of IU basketball and makes me sad for the younger fans that this is all the know IU basketball to be 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I still think if OSU had made the move on Matta a little quicker -- about the time we parted ways with Crean -- Archie would've been offered, and taken, that gig. 

Arch is on record as believing that tOSU is "the best BB coaching job" in the B1G 10 because 1) it has the budget, facilities, recruiting base, etc, as well as 2) relatively little pressure since at tOSU it's all about football

in retrospect, maybe that should've given Glass second thoughts about whether Arch could withstand the pressure of being IU's BB coach

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

My youngest is also 3 and is going through a phase where like clockwork at 3:30 am she gets up and comes down to our room.   Good times.  

some disturbing numbers here regarding IU and the tournament.  This puts it into perspective how bad IU has been.  
Since 1994 IU has only been a top 4 seed 3 times in the years they have made the tourney(2001-4 seed, 2012-4 seed, 2013-1 seed)

since 2003 the only top 8 seed win IU has had was against Kentucky in 2016 (Kentucky was a 4 seed).   All other wins in the tournament  during this time have  came against teams seeded 9th or worse. 
(10, 11, 10, 13, 12, 16, 9, 12, 4) 

those are the wins in the tournament for IU since 2003.  

knowing that timeframe was  bad is one thing but writing it out makes it even worse.    Tough pill to swallow for the fans that were used to a different era of IU basketball and makes me sad for the younger fans that this is all the know IU basketball to be 

We went thru a similar phase daughter would cry out and if one of us didn’t go into her room to comfort her she would end up in our bed.  

1 minute ago, Magisterium said:

Arch is on record as believing that tOSU is "the best BB coaching job" in the B1G 10 because 1) it has the budget, facilities, recruiting base, etc, as well as 2) relatively little pressure since at tOSU it's all about football

in retrospect, maybe that should've given Glass second thoughts about whether Arch could withstand the pressure of being IU's BB coach

Well no wonder Arch has worked so hard to make us a football school 

1 minute ago, Bobman1 said:

Might just be me but are there any coaches out there not named Beard or Oats for whom it’s worth firing Archie and ‘starting over’ again?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If Arch isn’t the guy anybody that could be the guy.  

Sampson for me btw. Took him year 2 to make us relevant. 

If Arch isn’t the guy anybody that could be the guy.  

Sampson for me btw. Took him year 2 to make us relevant. 

Agree with you that anybody could be the guy Archie’s been but do we really want another four years of hiring the wrong guy before we can make another change?

Sampson would be welcomed by me but I just find it unrealistic that Dolson would bring him back.

9 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

Might just be me but are there any coaches out there not named Beard or Oats for whom it’s worth firing Archie and ‘starting over’ again?

at this point I think you might be looking at either successful "small school" head coaches or assistants at "big school" programs like Duke UVA, UNC, etc

still don't think anything matters for at least another year--if the rest of this season heads further down into the toilet bowl, I assume both Miller and Dolson regard the 2021-22 season as "make or break"

3 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

Agree with you that anybody could be the guy Archie’s been but do we really want another four years of hiring the wrong guy before we can make another change?

Sampson would be welcomed by me but I just find it unrealistic that Dolson would bring him back.

I generally don’t think a 4 year rebuild is needed.  Waiting four years is stupid.  3 years if a guy isn’t showing real strides of being the guy he should be gone.  Frankly Archie should have been on the hot seat after year 2.  Finishing 11th in year 3 should have been a final warning or termination depending on trajectory of the program.  Which after year 3 we even expected to be decent this year with a step back in year 5 because TJD leaving. 

Frankly serious school don’t keep guys who have shown as little as Archie. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Agree completely. But also think it states to how we aren’t really serious about winning. 

Not really....with Sampson it’s a terrible history.

At least Pearl is just as big a scumbag, just as good a coach, and has no bad IU history.

Given the pandemic season I’d be shocked if Archie gets fired this year. It’d take the season really bottoming out, and even that might not be enough. If TJD leaves though we might as well fire him this year because he’ll almost certainly be getting fired after next year in that scenario. 

I’m all aboard the John Calipari train, though. Kentucky is tired of him. Let’s make it happen.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not really....with Sampson it’s a terrible history.

At least Pearl is just as big a scumbag, just as good a coach, and has no bad IU history.

I think the terrible history has been overblown. For the negative out of control things that his players were doing Crean had similar issues in his supposedly squeaky clean tenure. Heck one of Creans player ran one of his teammates over for gods sake

I generally don’t think a 4 year rebuild is needed.  Waiting four years is stupid.  3 years if a guy isn’t showing real strides of being the guy he should be gone.  Frankly Archie should have been on the hot seat after year 2.  Finishing 11th in year 3 should have been a final warning or termination depending on trajectory of the program.  Which after year 3 we even expected to be decent this year with a step back in year 5 because TJD leaving. 

Frankly serious school don’t keep guys who have shown as little as Archie. 

Most would agree with you but realistically no one is going to walk into this particular hornets’ nest of a fan base without contractual writing that grants them one full term to attempt the job, generally accepted as a full recruiting cycle, especially knowing the cupboard could be only partially stocked to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app