Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

By the way—Archie’s buyout is about TEN MILLION DOLLARS after this season.

After the 21-22 season? It’s only about 3.35 million.

So there—dream on and we can have our thread about the topic, but I have a hard time seeing any change after this season.

It’s 3.35 million. But we will have also paid him another season.  So from a total comp difference perspective it’s only about 3.35. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

By the way—Archie’s buyout is about TEN MILLION DOLLARS after this season.

After the 21-22 season? It’s only about 3.35 million.

So there—dream on and we can have our thread about the topic, but I have a hard time seeing any change after this season.

I looked at the contract details before, the date where it goes from 100% to 50% in 2021-22 is April 1st and if Archie gets fired in 2022, it'll definitely be before April ($7 million). It was the same case with Crean's ousting when there was concern he'd stay because the buyout went from something like 12 million to 3 million after April 1st.

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s 3.35 million. But we will have also paid him another season.  So from a total comp difference perspective it’s only about 3.35. 

True, but that’s total comp to Archie. We would also have to pay the new coach for next season. So back to a $6.5 million + difference. 

For all, here’s the Archie terms:

After this year he gets 100% of remaining money: $3.35x3= $10 million 

After NEXT year he gets 50% of remaining money: $6.7/2= $3.35 million 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

True, but that’s total comp to Archie. We would also have to pay the new coach for next season. So back to a $6.5 million + difference. 

Gotta do what Fred Glass did best. Beg for money. Archie shouldnt have even been able to make it back to the locker room with his job. 

Needs to be a former IU player. Look at Purdue. You had Gene Keady all that time then painter they still have the same culture we have lost our culture, culture is everything.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Just now, tortex28 said:

Needs to be a former IU player. Look at Purdue. You had Gene Keady all that time then painter they still have the same culture we have lost our culture, culture is everything.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Former player is less important and more a smooth transition between coaches.  Ideally you are hiring your next coach before you need him.  Gives continuity. 

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Contracts can be played with so that low salary in year 1. Plus I’m sure donors will be willing to front the Bill.  For gods sake my walking talking attitude giving daughter wasn’t even conceived the last time we played a tourney game.  

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Former player is less important and more a smooth transition between coaches.  Ideally you are hiring your next coach before you need him.  Gives continuity. 

Contracts can be played with so that low salary in year 1. Plus I’m sure donors will be willing to front the Bill.  For gods sake my walking talking attitude giving daughter wasn’t even conceived the last time we played a tourney game.  

My parents oldest grandkid was born just a little after Yogis group made it..

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

How old are you if you don’t mind me asking?

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

He may not but the violations were text messages. Way too many but a violation of rules that have since been removed. Even coach K seems to cut corners. If he can get Stevens or a top tier coach that may not do this fine but I think far more do.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

that's my point: if we're going to hire a coach who's "broken the rules" why not hire a proven OUTSTANDING coach like Sampson instead of settling for a discount version like Drew? I'm not interested in Drew's "Indiana ties" (and, for the record, Sampson would never consider returning to IU) and Dolson would never consider Drew either--so the whole thing is IMO moot.

AM's in no danger until AT LEAST Feb-March 2022 (more likely April 1st 2022) unless Cuban and/or some other "kingmaker" IU booster wants to step in and tell Dolson 1) Archie's done and 2) I'll pick up the tab for his buyout

9 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

I apologize if someone already provided this info earlier in the thread, but does Archie have offset language in his contract where future salary from a new job would decrease our portion of the buyout?

here it is: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/06/27/archie-millers-first-iu-contract-worth-least-24-million/431329001/

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

How old are you if you don’t mind me asking?

34. Daughter was conceived in July 2016.  I actually first heard of Crean getting canned at the hospital.  I do not understand the complaints about 2 year olds. 3 year olds on the other hand....

This is probably a long shot, but what do we put the odds at that CAM would 'walk-away'/take another gig after this season?  5% or so?

I know he has a great deal of pride, but I am sure the last four years have been brutal on him and his young family.

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

34. Daughter was conceived in July 2016.  I actually first heard of Crean getting canned at the hospital.  I do not understand the complaints about 2 year olds. 3 year olds on the other hand....

Mine is 2(youngest is 9 months). He is absolutely insane. Kid has never watched WWE, but I swear it's just natural instincts with him. I'm not ready for him to be 3, but I'm much less ready for his sister to be his age. 

5 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

This is probably a long shot, but what do we put the odds at that CAM would 'walk-away'/take another gig after this season?  5% or so?

I know he has a great deal of pride, but I am sure the last four years have been brutal on him and his young family.

I still think if OSU had made the move on Matta a little quicker -- about the time we parted ways with Crean -- Archie would've been offered, and taken, that gig. 

Seeing other programs take a chance with unproven big names and alumni, it appears to be working out for Michigan and others at this point. A very close comparison to Howard would be Calbert Cheaney for us...Howard only had 6 years NBA assistant experience before getting the gig. Calbert was at St. Louis, the g-league and now with the pacers. If you want a players coach, someone who can talk the talk (all American, long NBA career) and coaching experience at both levels, it would be him.

I understand it would be a gamble, but he seems like a choice that could please the fan base that wants an IU guy, relate with these young kids and hopefully bring some excitement to the program. 

Thoughts?

I would take a chance on Woodson before Calbert

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app