Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Archie is the 20th highest paid college men’s coach currently. 

Chris Beard? He’s 5th. 

Will Indiana pay up? 

What is the difference between them?  The good news is that we are 20th at least 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I remember at work a few years back, Wichita State (Gregg Marshall) played Dayton (Archie) in the first round of the NCAAs. We had just fired Crean. I joked to a co-worker that the winner would get the IU job. Turns out, we hired the losing coach. 

Since I have no co-workers around anymore (work at home due to the pandemic), I'll throw this out there:

Baylor (Scott Drew) vs. Texas Tech (Chris Beard) -- winner gets the IU gig. 

LOL! 

If we hire the scumbag Drew, I'll become a Purdue fan.

I would have a hard time seeing the motivation for Beard who has 0 Midwest or Indiana ties (besides Knight) leaving the state of Texas.   He is from Texas and his family lives there.  He is already a top 5 paid coach in a place where he will get whatever he asks for.   Fantastic coach that in my opinion will stay in Texas regardless of what IU is willing to pay.  

I think you are right. The exceptions might be whether he thinks being at a school like IU would give him an advantage over TT. Not saying it will but maybe

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I would have a hard time seeing the motivation for Beard who has 0 Midwest or Indiana ties (besides Knight) leaving the state of Texas.   He is from Texas and his family lives there.  He is already a top 5 paid coach in a place where he will get whatever he asks for.   Fantastic coach that in my opinion will stay in Texas regardless of what IU is willing to pay.  

I kinda think that way, too -- especially when you consider that a couple weeks after he accepted the UNLV job and had gone through the hoopla of the introductory news conference and all that, Texas Tech came calling. And he said See ya, Las Vegas.

I laughed when I read a story about that whole ordeal. The Texas Tech AD called the Vegas AD, who said, "No, you can't talk to him. We just hired him." The Texas Tech AD then said, "I was just giving you a courtesy call. We're gonna talk to him anyway." 

29 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Beard: Fantastic Coach, unrealistic get. Super highly paid already (over $4.5 million annually) but interestingly, a (relatively) small $3 million buyout. Seems very unlikely.

Nate Oats? Also a fantastic coach, and a more realistic get. Currently makes less than Archie. But a $4 million buyout.

Craig Smith, Casey Alexander? Fantastic coaches—but not proven at P5 programs. They come cheap.

Thad Matta? Fantastic, proven P5 coach. apparently healthy again. 53 years old. Currently lives in Indianapolis. Once stated that IU was his dream job. NO buyout. Hmmmm...

Seeing other programs take a chance with unproven big names and alumni, it appears to be working out for Michigan and others at this point. A very close comparison to Howard would be Calbert Cheaney for us...Howard only had 6 years NBA assistant experience before getting the gig. Calbert was at St. Louis, the g-league and now with the pacers. If you want a players coach, someone who can talk the talk (all American, long NBA career) and coaching experience at both levels, it would be him.

I understand it would be a gamble, but he seems like a choice that could please the fan base that wants an IU guy, relate with these young kids and hopefully bring some excitement to the program. 

Thoughts?

Yeah, nice to see commentary return about those awkward Senior nights. It’s like he’s made zero impact on these guys personally. If you are winning basketball games you can have good cop/bad cap with an assistant or strength guy and it can work.

Lose basketball games and seeds of doubt and hatred begin to form. I’ve always thought this was an issue. In some ways I liked that Archie was a disciplinarian coach or so thought, but when it never yields results it won’t work.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

Honest question, does anybody remember ever seeing Archie smile on the sideline? I realize he's been wearing mask this year, but i can't remember ever seeing him smile.

Doesn’t smile, which doesn’t bother me, but it’s noticeable. 

I joke with my wife all the time that it looks like he absolutely hates Mike Roberts. Who oddly also only sits the entire game, yells and smack his clipboard. 

29 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Beard: Fantastic Coach, unrealistic get. Super highly paid already (over $4.5 million annually) but interestingly, a (relatively) small $3 million buyout. Seems very unlikely.

Nate Oats? Also a fantastic coach, and a more realistic get. Currently makes less than Archie. But a $4 million buyout.

Craig Smith, Casey Alexander? Fantastic coaches—but not proven at P5 programs. They come cheap.

Thad Matta? Fantastic, proven P5 coach. apparently healthy again. 53 years old. Currently lives in Indianapolis. Once stated that IU was his dream job. NO buyout. Hmmmm...

Thads style would probably gel pretty good with this roster as well

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I really can’t believe Thad is only 53. That would be quite the get. 

32 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Seeing other programs take a chance with unproven big names and alumni, it appears to be working out for Michigan and others at this point. A very close comparison to Howard would be Calbert Cheaney for us...Howard only had 6 years NBA assistant experience before getting the gig. Calbert was at St. Louis, the g-league and now with the pacers. If you want a players coach, someone who can talk the talk (all American, long NBA career) and coaching experience at both levels, it would be him.

I understand it would be a gamble, but he seems like a choice that could please the fan base that wants an IU guy, relate with these young kids and hopefully bring some excitement to the program. 

Thoughts?

Like Michigan has with Martelli, IU would need to hire an associate/assistant coach that has been a HC forever that can help Cheaney with the nuances of being a head coach without wanting to do all the extra travel for recruiting anymore. Without that, you'll probably have tenures like Ewing at Georgetown or Mullin at St John's.

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I really can’t believe Thad is only 53. That would be quite the get. 

Because he has no buyout, he comes way cheap for a big time coach. You can shave $ 3 or 4 million of buyout money off the top.

When he departed OSU, he was still 49 years old.