Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I believe you can still chew kids up and hold them responsible.  Times have change but human nature remains quite similar to the past.  If you truly have the kids best interest in mind and they know you're chewing them out because you care and know they're capable of better it's possible.  Recruiting the correct kids and families important too.

Agreed. I think it’s possible, just a lot tougher than it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe you can still chew kids up and hold them responsible.  Times have change but human nature remains quite similar to the past.  If you truly have the kids best interest in mind and they know you're chewing them out because you care and know they're capable of better it's possible.  Recruiting the correct kids and families important too.

I think so, too. ... But I also think is essential for the coach to have a relationship with his players. Sometimes I wonder if Archie does. If you're getting your a$$ chewed out, it's easier coming from a guy who can also show compassion and that you can sit down and talk with, etc. I have no idea how he is with his players, but I can't help but think he sees them at practice, at meetings and at games -- and that's it. I wonder if he has the guys out to his house for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner -- or to just gather on an off night and watch a ballgame. I think kids can handle discipline, but they also want to know that you're interested in them and give a crap about them. I'm not sure Archie puts off that kind of vibe at all. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I think so, too. ... But I also think is essential for the coach to have a relationship with his players. Sometimes I wonder if Archie does. If you're getting your a$$ chewed out, it's easier coming from a guy who can also show compassion and that you can sit down and talk with, etc. I have no idea how he is with his players, but I can't help but think he sees them at practice, at meetings and a games -- and that's it. I wonder if he has the guys out to his house for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner -- or to just gather on an off night and watch a ballgame. I think kids can handle discipline, but they also want to know that you're interested in them and give a crap about them. I'm not sure Archie puts off that kind of vibe at all. 

The senior nights with Archie have been...awkward.

3 hours ago, mdiu28 said:

If the rumors stated earlier in this thread about players thinking Archie is a prick are accurate - that's a problem - and a BIG one.

Word gets around quickly these days. If true (I have no idea if it is or not), Archie needs to go sooner rather than later. Recruiting will suffer and we'll dig ourselves into a deep, deep hole. When players no longer want to play for their coach, things can go south quickly. Feels like this has already started....

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but look at the senior speeches of the last 3 seasons. Barely, if any, acknowledgment of Archie Miller from any of those guys. I doubt that was accidental. 

3 hours ago, mdiu28 said:

If the rumors stated earlier in this thread about players thinking Archie is a prick are accurate - that's a problem - and a BIG one.

Word gets around quickly these days. If true (I have no idea if it is or not), Archie needs to go sooner rather than later. Recruiting will suffer and we'll dig ourselves into a deep, deep hole. When players no longer want to play for their coach, things can go south quickly. Feels like this has already started....

And if true then that does not magically get better between year 4 and 5

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Exactly. If we’re going to fire Archie then we must not make a lateral move. We need a coach that at the very least has been to a final four. Preferably in the last 10 years. 

I understand the sentiment but strongly disagree. You want Porter Moses? Crean circa-first IU hire? Overvalue tourney success and you get Sampson/Crean over Beilein, Archie over Holtmann.

I remember at work a few years back, Wichita State (Gregg Marshall) played Dayton (Archie) in the first round of the NCAAs. We had just fired Crean. I joked to a co-worker that the winner would get the IU job. Turns out, we hired the losing coach. 

Since I have no co-workers around anymore (work at home due to the pandemic), I'll throw this out there:

Baylor (Scott Drew) vs. Texas Tech (Chris Beard) -- winner gets the IU gig. 

LOL! 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Three words on Calipari: No. Noer. Noest. 

Since he has his national title, he has no interest in Final Fours or banners. His only goal is to get guys to the pros. 

In the 8 years since he won his national title, he’s made 5 sweet 16s, 4 elite eights, and 2 final fours, including a 38-1 season. It takes Archie two seasons to win that many games. I wouldn’t care if his only goal was to get guys to the NBA, I’d take those results in a heartbeat. We’ve only made 3 NCAA tournaments in that time span. . 

10 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I remember at work a few years back, Wichita State (Gregg Marshall) played Dayton (Archie) in the first round of the NCAAs. We had just fired Crean. I joked to a co-worker that the winner would get the IU job. Turns out, we hired the losing coach. 

Since I have no co-workers around anymore (work at home due to the pandemic), I'll throw this out there:

LOL! 

Just said the same thing to my wife and dog. Dog was definitely listening and seems to care more.  It sure would make the transition easier. 

One has RMK ties and one has Indiana ties. Easy

22 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

LOL! 

If this is any sign, Beard doesn't want the gig...or he's getting his offense set just right.

image.thumb.png.63e62640528d0cea91105ac9c8ca9d64.png

Just said the same thing to my wife and dog. Dog was definitely listening and seems to care more.  It sure would make the transition easier. 

Interesting to see Drew’s record. I get you can Argue Baylor isn’t Indiana, but his first 6 years weren’t pretty, especially in conference. Didn’t have a winning conference record until year 7, which they went to the elite eight and have been pretty consistent since then. I am not arguing for Archie to get 7 years by any means, really this one has nothing to do with Archie per se. just wondering do IU fans give any coach 7 years before they start calling for his head?

13 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I'd be stunned if Dolson wanted any part of Drew (https://wacotrib.com/news/baylor-gets-3-years-probation-ncaa-accepts-other-self-imposed-penalties/article_e150b3c5-9710-5ae4-bf63-2455f5b50451.html)

if IU's going down that road why not just rehire Sampson instead?

Interesting to see Drew’s record. I get you can Argue Baylor isn’t Indiana, but his first 6 years weren’t pretty, especially in conference. Didn’t have a winning conference record until year 7, which they went to the elite eight and have been pretty consistent since then. I am not arguing for Archie to get 7 years by any means, really this one has nothing to do with Archie per se. just wondering do IU fans give any coach 7 years before they start calling for his head?

Do you know what the state of Baylor basketball was before Drew. Historically they had a small handful of games where they we ranked in their entire history. Then you have one player kill another player under the prior coach. Kill like in dead. So you have a historically bad program then have an unbelievable event between teammates.

We like to think we had a dumpster fire but that was so much worse. You could see the progress with Drew though. By year 5 they were ranked in the top 25 and made the NCAA tournament.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Do you know what the state of Baylor basketball was before Drew. Historically they had a small handful of games where they we ranked in their entire history. Then you have one player kill another player under the prior coach. Kill like in dead. So you have a historically bad program then have an unbelievable event between teammates.

We like to think we had a dumpster fire but that was so much worse. You could see the progress with Drew though. By year 5 they were ranked in the top 25 and made the NCAA tournament.

I do, that’s why I said I understand the argument on it being Baylor vs Indiana. I just find it difficult to see our fan base (not admin) give anyone 7 years.

I'd be stunned if Dolson wanted any part of Drew (https://wacotrib.com/news/baylor-gets-3-years-probation-ncaa-accepts-other-self-imposed-penalties/article_e150b3c5-9710-5ae4-bf63-2455f5b50451.html)
if IU's going down that road why not just rehire Sampson instead?

He may not but the violations were text messages. Way too many but a violation of rules that have since been removed. Even coach K seems to cut corners. If he can get Stevens or a top tier coach that may not do this fine but I think far more do.

6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

The coach who was running the program when the killing took place is a real scumbag -- Dave Bliss. His involvement in that whole ordeal is nothing short of disgustingly deplorable. He's also a former RMK assistant -- and was at IU from 1971-75. 

50 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

LOL! 

Greg Marshall is done with coaching forever and Archie is potentially on his way out. 

I do, that’s why I said I understand the argument on it being Baylor vs Indiana. I just find it difficult to see our fan base (not admin) give anyone 7 years.

We would not give anyone 7 years. I would argue that he got Baylor back in his 4th season. Baylor’s standard was a .500 ball club and he got them their in year 4.

Then, he greatly exceeded expectations the rest of his career. Not sure where you are getting 7th season either. In his 5th year they were 21-11, finished 4th in conference and went to the NCAAs.