Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I have no idea what the perception of the Indiana job is among other coaches. But I suspect that it would decline in desirability pretty quickly if we start tiring coaches after a year or two. Throw enough money at it and it might be worth the risk to some. I'm pretty sure the Coach Knight model won't work today. Truthfully, it wasn't working the last few years he was here. So, rather than just throw out names of candidates, I think we should start with the characteristics of the coach we want here. From reading through this thread, that's not an easy task. We have fans that just want to win, no matter what it takes. We have others who value integrity above all else and just about everything in between. There are so many moving parts involved in managing a program at this level that it seems almost impossible. Personally, I'd like a balance between offense and defense with a flexibility to adapt to game conditions on the fly. Though it goes against everything that I hold dear, it needs to be something that modern kids want to play. I have no idea who that coach is. I've never been for or against CAM. I always said his performance would determine his fate. Fair or not, I think time is beginning to run out.

5 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I have no idea what the perception of the Indiana job is among other coaches. But I suspect that it would decline in desirability pretty quickly if we start tiring coaches after a year or two. Throw enough money at it and it might be worth the risk to some. I'm pretty sure the Coach Knight model won't work today. Truthfully, it wasn't working the last few years he was here. So, rather than just throw out names of candidates, I think we should start with the characteristics of the coach we want here. From reading through this thread, that's not an easy task. We have fans that just want to win, no matter what it takes. We have others who value integrity above all else and just about everything in between. There are so many moving parts involved in managing a program at this level that it seems almost impossible. Personally, I'd like a balance between offense and defense with a flexibility to adapt to game conditions on the fly. Though it goes against everything that I hold dear, it needs to be something that modern kids want to play. I have no idea who that coach is. I've never been for or against CAM. I always said his performance would determine his fate. Fair or not, I think time is beginning to run out.

Winning cures all. 

We need a charismatic, fun, passionate guy as coach honestly. There isn't any fun light around Indiana basketball. We need someone who will make it fun, something to watch, something for players and fans to commit to. Someone who will get the media to love us. 

We also need someone who doesn't run the crappiest offense on the planet. We don't need anyone so dead set on a "system" that they can't ever adjust when it continually fails. 

We need a guy who can instill a culture of aggressiveness, fire and fun. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

And when we get a new coach let’s put aside this notion that it takes 4 years to evaluate them. That’s not remotely true in modern college basketball.  

Right, and it’s not even true that the only alternative is a UK/Duke-style one-and-done approach. It’s not true that the pack line takes years to learn. (Speaking of “years to learn,” that’s how long it to Archie to realize the hard hedge was killing him).

Below the long shots (Stevens, Donovan), I wanted Holtmann and stand by it. I know there are some rumors he’s happier at a football school — maybe so — but I’m skeptical of the idea he would not have come.

May be wrong but in my opinion the evaluative difference for Holtmann over Miller at the time was twofold:

1. Holtmann had done it at a higher level, Big East vs. A-10.

2. Archie’s rep rested lots on one tourney run. It was only one game farther than Holtmann’s longest.

There was other stuff — Holtmann’s offense was consistently better, I worried Miller was a bit of a Golden boy because of relationships — but the above were my main concerns comparing the two.

Why are people always worried other coaches will think we aren't patient and move on from coaches too soon? 

Crean got 9 years and every excuse imaginable. 

Davis got 6 years, was given the job after losing to a 13 seed in the first round, and we still kept him after missing the tourney back to back years. 

If anything, we're too patient and we wait too long to pull the trigger. 

If the rumors stated earlier in this thread about players thinking Archie is a prick are accurate - that's a problem - and a BIG one.

Word gets around quickly these days. If true (I have no idea if it is or not), Archie needs to go sooner rather than later. Recruiting will suffer and we'll dig ourselves into a deep, deep hole. When players no longer want to play for their coach, things can go south quickly. Feels like this has already started....

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

My guess is a fair amount of this board can hit FTs better than our best shooter.  I can hit 80% and I’m 34 with a bad knee and constantly sleep deprived 

It makes me a little nuts when Archie, or any coach, talks about guys making shots in practice and just needing to carry it over. EVERYBODY makes shots in practice. DeAndre Jordan shoots 85% in practice. True story: I once made 111 ft’s in a row at the end of a practice. Also made 97/100 at a fundraiser. And I never shot above 74% for a season in either HS or college. So what did that make me? A crappy free throw shooter. A guy like Galloway making 3’s in practice doesn’t change how he’s defended and how Archie should be using him. 

Why are people always worried other coaches will think we aren't patient and move on from coaches too soon? 
Crean got 9 years and every excuse imaginable. 
Davis got 6 years, was given the job after losing to a 13 seed in the first round, and we still kept him after missing the tourney back to back years. 

If anything, we're too patient and we wait too long to pull the trigger. 
Not to mention if they are scared they won't get enough time then we shouldn't be considering them anyhow. Coaches all have egos that make them think they'll be successful anywhere so I'm sure they don't even consider that. That is another in the long line of defeatist excuses.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

I have no faith Stevens or Donovan would ever be serious candidates, so unless we can throw the bank at Chris Beard, we'll be stuck taking a flier on an up-and-comer like Archie was.

No thanks, I'd rather just go for the consistency model and stick with Archie to be honest.

Exactly. If we’re going to fire Archie then we must not make a lateral move. We need a coach that at the very least has been to a final four. Preferably in the last 10 years. 

52 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I’d take Calipari in a heartbeat. I think the guy can flat out coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Three words on Calipari: No. Noer. Noest. 

Since he has his national title, he has no interest in Final Fours or banners. His only goal is to get guys to the pros. 

I echo the sentiment that I really wanted Archie to be the guy. Even as your typical, high-expectation IU fan, I feel like I’ve been patient- I grew up about 20 minutes from campus and growing up, Dad and I never missed a game. For the first year ever, I’ve intentionally watched only about half of games. I tuned in for Purdue and really wish I hadn’t. We all know what to expect by now and it’s just more of the same, awful product on the floor. It’s totally turned me off. I say all this just because I feel like a lot of Hoosier Nation feels this way.

We need someone who can inject new life into the program. I’m a little old school in that I want a coach that will chew kids up and hold them responsible. Unfortunately, I’m not sure that cuts it anymore-kids and parents don’t put up with that like they used to. So I could really get behind someone like CTA, whose players will go to war for them. IUBB doesn’t have that anymore.

For me, like others, the list pretty well starts and ends with Beard. I do want to see what he does the rest of this season. I do have pipe dreams like Stevens, but that’s not gonna happen. I’m sorry, but anyone less than Beard is settling, which is what we have become accustomed to as a fan base. Frankly, we shouldn’t have to, but we don’t have that power. Dolson does. Just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

For anyone interested, Texas Tech and Baylor today ought to be a good one and involves two coaches of interest. I’d rather watch games I’m less emotionally involved with haha.

2 hours ago, mdiu28 said:

If the rumors stated earlier in this thread about players thinking Archie is a prick are accurate - that's a problem - and a BIG one.

Word gets around quickly these days. If true (I have no idea if it is or not), Archie needs to go sooner rather than later. Recruiting will suffer and we'll dig ourselves into a deep, deep hole. When players no longer want to play for their coach, things can go south quickly. Feels like this has already started....

I have to admit -- if true, this worries me as well. I believe a poster wrote they knew someone who worked with Phin and Armaan, and they've said Archie is a d-ck. I would guess not a lot of guys liked Knight when playing for him, but for one, he won; for two, that was a whole different era.

Sometimes when I watch TJD, he just doesn't seem as if he's enjoys playing basketball, and I wonder why. His demeanor -- at least to me -- is decidedly different than last season. Makes me wonder if he's not happy playing for Archie. And not while we weren't getting every recruit, we were doing OK. Now, we're swinging and missing a lot. I'm not accusing the players of sabotaging Archie's efforts, but after all those misses, I can't help but consider the possibility that they're telling the recruits that playing there isn't the experience they thought it would be. It seemed most thought Kaufman was coming, then he does an about face and picks PU -- and on the surface, Matt Painter seems like a guy for whom kids would want to play. Do they want to play for Archie? Who knows ... 

8 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I have to admit -- if true, this worries me as well. I believe a poster wrote they knew someone who worked with Phin and Armaan, and they've said Archie is a d-ck. I would guess not a lot of guys liked Knight when playing for him, but for one, he won; for two, that was a whole different era.

Sometimes when I watch TJD, he just doesn't seem as if he's enjoys playing basketball, and I wonder why. His demeanor -- at least to me -- is decidedly different than last season. Makes me wonder if he's not happy playing for Archie. And not while we weren't getting every recruit, we were doing OK. Now, we're swinging and missing a lot. I'm not accusing the players of sabotaging Archie's efforts, but after all those misses, I can't help but consider the possibility that they're telling the recruits that playing there isn't the experience they thought it would be. It seemed most thought Kaufman was coming, then he does an about face and picks PU -- and on the surface, Matt Painter seems like a guy for whom kids would want to play. Do they want to play for Archie? Who knows ... 

Everything about Archie that rubs people the wrong way would be forgiven if he was winning.  

Players wouldn’t care if he was making them winners. Fans wouldn’t care he has no personality we would say he’s focused and other coaches wouldn’t call him arrogant they would call him confident.  

Good life principle if you aren’t successful you gotta suck up and play nice 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Everything about Archie that rubs people the wrong way would be forgiven if he was winning.  

Players wouldn’t care if he was making them winners. Fans wouldn’t care he has no personality we would say he’s focused and other coaches wouldn’t call him arrogant they would call him confident.  

Pretty much knew that ... but thanks. 

Has there ever been a clause in a coaching contract that says...You must make the NCAA tournament at least this percentage of time, or 1 time in 4 years. I can see extenuating circumstances due to injury. If those terms are not meant your buyout is reduced or becomes null. I guess it would deal with no coach wanting to sign it, but if you can't make tourney after year four you better look in the mirror. I cannot for the life of me want to keep seeing nothing to look forward to during tournament this year. 91 IU grad, just sad at state of basketball.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

We need someone who can inject new life into the program. I’m a little old school in that I want a coach that will chew kids up and hold them responsible.

I believe you can still chew kids up and hold them responsible.  Times have change but human nature remains quite similar to the past.  If you truly have the kids best interest in mind and they know you're chewing them out because you care and know they're capable of better it's possible.  Recruiting the correct kids and families important too.

2 minutes ago, sweetpain said:

Has there ever been a clause in a coaching contract that says...You must make the NCAA tournament at least this percentage of time, or 1 time in 4 years. I can see extenuating circumstances due to injury. If those terms are not meant your buyout is reduced or becomes null. I guess it would deal with no coach wanting to sign it, but if you can't make tourney after year four you better look in the mirror. I cannot for the life of me want to keep seeing nothing to look forward to during tournament this year. 91 IU grad, just sad at state of basketball.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I imagine any good agent would get that kind of clause tossed.  But I would love to have one in our next coaches contract.