Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Someone up thread had a good list of the pro-Oats position mostly focused on his impressive work at Alabama. I’d add that he out-performed Bobby Hurley at *Buffalo* and he was a great HS coach less than a decade ago. He’s a Midwesterner and would have some regional HS and AAU connections.

I wouldn’t go for Collins for a number of reasons, but I do tend to agree he could succeed at a place with more support. I’m just not interested in being the place that figures out if he will.

30 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I played in the triangle offense growing up. It would be infinitely better than the garbage we're seeing now. 

I was raised playing motion offense. That's when my grade was most successful in AAU under my dad. During school ball they tried installing 500 sets and we sucked. 

Usually hate idle chatter threads like this, but, hey, sometimes a little cathartic primal scream is mentally healthy, right? So, what the hell.

Beilein-will put my admiration for Beilein up against anyone. He’s as good as it gets. But he’s about to be 68, and hiring a guy who might not recruit a full roster is not a solution. But, if you hire him along with a HC in waiting type, be it a young Asst(Mike Miller?) or a successful HC from a lower level(Greg Tonagel?), maybe you create a long term culture that way.

If you’re gonna call a current high D1 guy, it’s gotta start with Beard and Greg McDermott, doesn’t it? Beard’s undeniably great and McDermott’s created a system and a development structure that’ll play anywhere and any good kid would want to be a part of. After them, Oats makes some sense. I’m still a fan of Mike White. Really like Kevin Willard, though I doubt he would turn on a lot of folks around here. His teams play as hard anybody. Maybe Eric Musselman. 

If you’re trying for the “I’m the smartest guy in the room” under the radar mid-major hire, I can think of 2. Wes Miller, UNC-Greensboro, is just a great young coach. He may not be ready for the IU maelstrom yet, but he’s gonna be a big time guy at some point, somewhere. It would not bother me at all to jump on him while he’s still a little undercooked. Also love Craig Smith, the Utah St coach. Great coach, great energy, beautiful offense, and has the benefit of having been a B1G asst.

i also think if you’re gonna post in this thread, you need to post who you honestly wanted when Archie was hired, and whether or not you stand by that now. No hope options(Stevens) excluded. There were people who wanted Miller. There were people who wanted Gregg Marshall.  You gotta admit to that stuff. I wanted Brad Underwood. And I’d take him again in a second. 

7 hours ago, Demo said:

Usually hate idle chatter threads like this, but, hey, sometimes a little cathartic primal scream is mentally healthy, right? So, what the hell.

Beilein-will put my admiration for Beilein up against anyone. He’s as good as it gets. But he’s about to be 68, and hiring a guy who might not recruit a full roster is not a solution. But, if you hire him along with a HC in waiting type, be it a young Asst(Mike Miller?) or a successful HC from a lower level(Greg Tonagel?), maybe you create a long term culture that way.

If you’re gonna call a current high D1 guy, it’s gotta start with Beard and Greg McDermott, doesn’t it? Beard’s undeniably great and McDermott’s created a system and a development structure that’ll play anywhere and any good kid would want to be a part of. After them, Oats makes some sense. I’m still a fan of Mike White. Really like Kevin Willard, though I doubt he would turn on a lot of folks around here. His teams play as hard anybody. Maybe Eric Musselman. 

If you’re trying for the “I’m the smartest guy in the room” under the radar mid-major hire, I can think of 2. Wes Miller, UNC-Greensboro, is just a great young coach. He may not be ready for the IU maelstrom yet, but he’s gonna be a big time guy at some point, somewhere. It would not bother me at all to jump on him while he’s still a little undercooked. Also love Craig Smith, the Utah St coach. Great coach, great energy, beautiful offense, and has the benefit of having been a B1G asst.

i also think if you’re gonna post in this thread, you need to post who you honestly wanted when Archie was hired, and whether or not you stand by that now. No hope options(Stevens) excluded. There were people who wanted Miller. There were people who wanted Gregg Marshall.  You gotta admit to that stuff. I wanted Brad Underwood. And I’d take him again in a second. 

It's no secret where I stood on the Miller hire.  Second on a list of coaches I was intrigued by but wanted to see more out of before we hired them, behind Holtmann.  I didn't feel it was a homerun hire, more like a double and hoping the defense falls asleep; though now I realize it wasn't a double, it was a bunt.

20 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It's no secret where I stood on the Miller hire.  Second on a list of coaches I was intrigued by but wanted to see more out of before we hired them, behind Holtmann.  I didn't feel it was a homerun hire, more like a double and hoping the defense falls asleep; though now I realize it wasn't a double, it was a bunt.

Yeah, he wasn’t one of my preferred guys, but I shouldn’t imply that I was down on the hire. I wasn’t. Struck me as a perfectly solid, if not terribly imaginative, choice. I didn’t picture a dead fail, and if someone says they did, I don’t really think I’d believe ‘em. But I didn’t realize just how antithetical his philosophy is to mine. He’s made IU almost worse than bad for me, he’s made them boring. 

8 hours ago, Demo said:

I LOVE watching Greg McDermott basketball. Great call there. 

-Signed, the conductor of the Hire Archie Miller Train that is mulling retirement 

The chatter for firing Archie seems to me as high as it ever was for Crean.  Having exactly nothing to hang his hat on in 4 years will do that I suppose. 

Firing Archie this year is only a extra 3-4 Million over keeping him another year.  This buyout is not as difficult as it would seem.  Hoping the administration can recognize that Archie is a historically underperforming hire and kick him to the curb. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

The chatter for firing Archie seems to me as high as it ever was for Crean.  Having exactly nothing to hang his hat on in 4 years will do that I suppose. 

Firing Archie this year is only a extra 3-4 Million over keeping him another year.  This buyout is not as difficult as it would seem.  Hoping the administration can recognize that Archie is a historically underperforming hire and kick him to the curb. 

The only claim to fame Archie has is a couple Devonte Green hot streaks and beating Michigan State. 

3 hours ago, Demo said:

Yeah, he wasn’t one of my preferred guys, but I shouldn’t imply that I was down on the hire. I wasn’t. Struck me as a perfectly solid, if not terribly imaginative, choice. I didn’t picture a dead fail, and if someone says they did, I don’t really think I’d believe ‘em. But I didn’t realize just how antithetical his philosophy is to mine. He’s made IU almost worse than bad for me, he’s made them boring. 

I just want to see a winning team, beyond that I don't care if it's a track meet or played at a snail's pace.  I like that the defense is better under Miller, but he's failed miserably at addressing the flaw his teams tend to have (shooting) and I'm sick and tired of missing the easiest shot in the game so often.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I just want to see a winning team, beyond that I don't care if it's a track meet or played at a snail's pace.  I like that the defense is better under Miller, but he's failed miserably at addressing the flaw his teams tend to have (shooting) and I'm sick and tired of missing the easiest shot in the game so often.

My guess is a fair amount of this board can hit FTs better than our best shooter.  I can hit 80% and I’m 34 with a bad knee and constantly sleep deprived 

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It's sad when our best FT shooter was a guard shooting 80%, that's not good for a guard.

Yep. I just don’t understand. Why structure your offense to draw fouls if you aren’t going to hit the FTs.  There’s other advantages to drawing fouls I guess. But seems crazy to not make hitting the shots an emphasis.  Like buying an expensive safe then leaving it unlocked