Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I have no faith Stevens or Donovan would ever be serious candidates, so unless we can throw the bank at Chris Beard, we'll be stuck taking a flier on an up-and-comer like Archie was.

No thanks, I'd rather just go for the consistency model and stick with Archie to be honest.

I care how they do it

I understand not wanting to turn in to a Calipari factory or anything to that extent, but if you think IU has done everything by the book over the 2 coaches youre mistaken.

Eric Gordon got money, did not go to classes. Crean had assts tied to stuff, Thomas Bryant and noah vonleh were not 100% clean recruits probdbly more. He goes to georgia and get edwards right away? He wasnt clean either just not as dirty and obvious as others coaches

I have no problem playing in the grey to get us on a level playing field. Do I want UK, Duke, UNC, UL, Kansas level stuff no.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think this list is pretty sad, and we can do far better.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Right now, state of the program... it’s more like ‘could have done’ rather than ‘can do’.

Unless the right people at IU make it rain, that’s the unfortunate reality.

If Dakich is right, and that’s a big if. I’m new to the Forum, and a young IU fan. I don’t hold a grudge against anyone, but Dakich is one of my least favorite people. I think he makes brash statements just for attention. Especially when I listen to his radio show. Again I don’t hate the guy but I just take everything he says with a grain of salt. And he could be right. I’m not sure.

I’m not a Dakich guy, but a few weeks ago on the radio he said he wanted IU to get Donovan. That was a long shot, however, I did agree with him on that recommendation.

Billy Donovan is in the first of a four-year contract with the Bulls. He hasn't coached college ball since 2015. 

He no longer has to go into the homes of 15- and 16- and 17-year-old prima donnas and beg them to come play for him. 

I suspect he's done with college. I would guess the same is true of Stevens. 

I'll throw out a name -- and it's just as wacko of an idea as some I've seen here: Thad Matta. 

When healthy, he was one of the best in the business. I don't know exactly what went wrong at OSU, but from what I gather, his health issues (back trouble, I think) limited what he was able to do recruiting -- so he was no longer getting the good players he used to. There's a very good chance I could be wrong on that, but I'm not positive. 

And I believe at one time (either while at Butler or Xavier), he said his dream job was to coach at IU. If he's healthy, he might be worth considering. He's 53, so he's not ancient -- and would think he has a good bit left in the tank. 

I'll throw out a name -- and it's just as wacko of an idea as some I've seen here: Thad Matta. 

When healthy, he was one of the best in the business. I don't know exactly what went wrong at OSU, but from what I gather, his health issues (back trouble, I think) limited what he was able to do recruiting -- so he was no longer getting the good players he used to. There's a very good chance I could be wrong on that, but I'm not positive. 
And I believe at one time (either while at Butler or Xavier), he said his dream job was to coach at IU. If he's healthy, he might be worth considering. He's 53, so he's not ancient -- and would think he has a good bit left in the tank. 
I didn't even think about him. I would be fine with that

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I understand not wanting to turn in to a Calipari factory or anything to that extent, but if you think IU has done everything by the book over the 2 coaches youre mistaken.

Eric Gordon got money, did not go to classes. Crean had assts tied to stuff, Thomas Bryant and noah vonleh were not 100% clean recruits probdbly more. He goes to georgia and get edwards right away? He wasnt clean either just not as dirty and obvious as others coaches

I have no problem playing in the grey to get us on a level playing field. Do I want UK, Duke, UNC, UL, Kansas level stuff no.

There’s no way to get top recruits unless they’re getting paid. Just look at the draft boards to know who is playing it. We just need our resources to play better. 

1 hour ago, mdiu28 said:

I actually think Donovan is more attainable than some will believe. I live in Chicago and am a Bulls fan. It's my guess he's been hired here to deal with a roster stacked with young talent - that's what Billy Donovan does. Once he's done that, he's gone (~2 years if I had to guess). 

It was my impression he was talked to during our last search but IU wasn't willing to pay his assistants top dollar. Whether or not that's true - who knows. 

Beilein I'd love as well. It's not a sexy name but the man wins in March. At the end of the day - that's all we really care about. 

That was my recollection on Donovan as well.  I think we definitely got to a point where we were talking numbers back in 2017.  He is automatically lumped into the longshot category with Stevens and for understandable reasons, but I could certainly envision him here before I could Stevens. 

My guess regarding how is time in Chicago will play out is probably similar to yours.  I think Donovan is an upgrade over Jim Boylen but that's a tough situation with such a young team and no salary cap space, or at least not as of now.  And I don't know that he would get or seek a third opportunity in the NBA if the Bulls job doesn't work out for him.  I still think it's not likely that he becomes available in the near future but it's not unfathomable.   

I believe he had assistants who were playing the game. I heard stories about Groce recruiting for him back when he was an assistant at O$U.

I believe he had assistants who were playing the game. I heard stories about Groce recruiting for him back when he was an assistant at O$U.

It’s always the assistants unless your Sean Miller or ‘Strong A$$ Offer’ Wade. Lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Billy Donovan is in the first of a four-year contract with the Bulls. He hasn't coached college ball since 2015. 
He no longer has to go into the homes of 15- and 16- and 17-year-old prima donnas and beg them to come play for him. 
I suspect he's done with college. I would guess the same is true of Stevens. 

No doubt. Dakich was saying he wanted Donovan, the 1st time and so did I, but as I mentioned it was a long shot even then. I’m not talking about now. No way he would come now and yes extremely low chance also to get Stevens.

15 minutes ago, 323SGrant said:

No doubt. Dakich was saying he wanted Donovan, the 1st time and so did I, but as I mentioned it was a long shot even then. I’m not talking about now. No way he would come now and yes extremely low chance also to get Stevens.

Dakich wanted Alford but said Donovan would definitely call him to talk about it