Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Is there a realistic scenario where Archie is fired after this season? I don't think so. 
I do care about how IU wins (style, culture, etc) BUT that is secondary to winning. I would not be ok with ACC/SEC level of cheating taint, but a more aggressive approach is ok with me. I don't believe that Matt Painter cheats, but he has done reasonably well. What does PU offer that IU doesn't? Ugly girls with VD? C'mon. 

There’s a decent chance we finish 8-11 after this 5 game stretch. If Archie has a sub .500 record by a wide margin this year I don’t think it’s doubtful that he’s canned.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Is there a realistic scenario where Archie is fired after this season? I don't think so. 

I do care about how IU wins (style, culture, etc) BUT that is secondary to winning. I would not be ok with ACC/SEC level of cheating taint, but a more aggressive approach is ok with me. I don't believe that Matt Painter cheats, but he has done reasonably well. What does PU offer that IU doesn't? Ugly girls with VD? C'mon. 

If Indiana loses out without missing games from COVID-19, then I think there could be a chance.

1 hour ago, mdiu28 said:

I truly don't understand the Dane Fife crowd. And before I get blasted, I'm an IU grad and could care freaking less if we get an IU guy or not. 

I want a coach that will win. While Few, Stevens, and Billy D are absolute pipe dreams - who gives a damn how old Beilein is and what he's said. He wins and wins in March. I'd take Kelvin Sampson back in a heartbeat too. Look at the coaches that win big and do it consistently - not ONE of them is clean. 

THAT is the reality. If we want to be what a lot on this board still think we are (a Blue Blood), that's what we need. Who cares how they do it. 

I care how they do it

17 minutes ago, mamasa said:

I care how they do it

Fair enough. Most do. 

Just don't expect Championships. Expect Sweet 16 rings and participation trophies. Those who win Championships and Titles consistently aren't squeaky clean. That's a fact. 

At this point in my fandom I care more about wins than how their attained. 

I keep hearing this and keep reiterating I don’t know what this really means. We spend (spent) more on recruiting than any  program in the conference. We just invested tens of millions into renovating our arena. What is the university doing to prohibit our basketball team from being good? So we’re not writing checks for $9m/year? So what? The four coaches even worth that much aren’t leaving their current positions. 
It’s not a money issue. Should we be letting what happened at Louisville occur here? Should we have fake classes set up? Going to class isn’t a problem for our players, and it isn’t preventing our team from making free throws. Do we need to operate in the “gray area” more? Other successful programs are fine without going full bagman. Or do we just keep bad coaches an extra year or two too long? 
We haven’t landed the right coach. That’s it. Recruit well enough, develop your players, get some shooters and preach the fundamentals. For as difficult as a time this program has had the last 20 years, this isn’t that complicated. You only need a handful of kids to make a program work. This isn’t football.
I don’t care if the university administration isn’t as focused on basketball as Alabama’s is on football. They’re not actively working to sabotage the program. RMK was the most powerful man on campus during his heyday? All that did was prevent him from getting fired earlier for abusing his players. 
“Yea but I heard they took some of our program’s money to build a new window in the Kelley school!” So what?! So our team had to eat chicken fingers for lunch a few days because of it instead of cordon bleu...all of a sudden to be successful we need five star meals and a private day spa in Cook Hall? This is still basketball, we still have more than enough to offer recruits, and still prioritize basketball more than then overwhelming majority of schools in the country. Get the right coach in the door and this goes away very quickly. 
I wish I could give this post more than 1 like

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I truly don't understand the Dane Fife crowd. And before I get blasted, I'm an IU grad and could care freaking less if we get an IU guy or not. 
I want a coach that will win. While Few, Stevens, and Billy D are absolute pipe dreams - who gives a damn how old Beilein is and what he's said. He wins and wins in March. I'd take Kelvin Sampson back in a heartbeat too. Look at the coaches that win big and do it consistently - not ONE of them is clean. 
THAT is the reality. If we want to be what a lot on this board still think we are (a Blue Blood), that's what we need. Who cares how they do it. 
I care

It’s an athletic compliance issue. IU is one of the hardest schools to coach at and recruit at. So it’ll have to be someone who is “clean” or mostly clean. I also 100% believe that Brad Stevens is absolutely in play and it won’t take paying him $10 million either.

If that happens, I will ride my mobility scooter naked around my hometown in the middle of the day. People DO NOT want to see that. :)

It’s an athletic compliance issue. IU is one of the hardest schools to coach at and recruit at. So it’ll have to be someone who is “clean” or mostly clean. I also 100% believe that Brad Stevens is absolutely in play and it won’t take paying him $10 million either.

What makes you think/know Brad Stevens is in play?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

50 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Fair enough. Most do. 

Just don't expect Championships. Expect Sweet 16 rings and participation trophies. Those who win Championships and Titles consistently aren't squeaky clean. That's a fact. 

Heck, can’t even expect Sweet 16s consistently if you’re not willing to play the game. The NCAA has demonstrated that they do not care in the slightest about cheating in college. If a rule isn’t being enforced, and the people in charge of enforcing the rule make it clear they’re not going to enforce anything, you’re just hurting yourself by following the rule. 

We can sit around and be glad that we do things the “right” way, but that means we’ll be sitting around watching other teams succeed in the NCAA tournament while we’re on the outside looking in most years. 

51 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Fair enough. Most do. 

So Jay Wright, Tony Bennett, and Mark Few aren’t running clean programs?

I disagree.

I wanted it to work with the current regime but my hopes are fading quickly.  I’m not anti-Archie, I’m anti-Purdue and pro-IU and just want things to be better regardless of who is at the helm.  If Dolson ultimately decides to move on from Archie, which I predict to happen in March 2022, I think there will actually be multiple options of good coaches who might be interested and aren't known cheaters or completely unproven commodities:

1)      Oats – Small sample size but I love what he is doing at Bama.  The way his offense flows and spreads the floor was on full display while his team demolished UK.  His last two recruiting classes have been ranked 12th and 17th respectively and include a top-ten player in the case of 2021.  And it goes without saying Bama is not a basketball school.

2)      Collins – Probably in the minority here but I’m a Chris Collins fan.  Excellent coaching pedigree and basketball mind.  I truly believe he his better than his overall W-L record at NW reflects.

3)      Woodson – Probably in the minority here as well but he brings the IU guy factor and the NBA connections / experience both to the table.  The obvious con here is lack of college coaching experience but I’m beginning to think that doesn’t matter so much.  Plus he took the Knicks to the Easter Conference Semis.  There’s something to be said for that alone.

4)      Donovan – Would easily be #1 if not for lack of likelihood.  However, Archie’s buyout drops considerably after next year and I think it’s plausible that after two years with Chicago he may start to think it’s not any easier to rebuild and win with an incredibly young NBA team than it is at the college level.  IU would likely provide a nice landing spot and a nice payday if that is how it plays out.

5)      Beilein - Possibly the best X’s and O’s guy that would be available, Beilein is a proven winner in the conference and that carries a lot of weight.  And I think he would have a legitimate interest in the job.  His age makes him only a short-term solution though and his disastrous tenure in the NBA could maybe have an impact on recruiting.

Honorable mention to Fife if the pressure on Dolson to hire an IU guy is overwhelming. I think his limited profile as a head coach still makes that move unlikely.

Here is our best list in my opinion(not that I want or don't any of them)
John Beilein
Dane Fife
Steve Alford
Dana Altman
Chris Collins
Mike Woodson
Randy Wittman
Mike White

I think this list is pretty sad, and we can do far better.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Drew L said:

Athletic and compliance has nothing to do with why we can’t shoot. Sampson and Crean had guys that could shoot. 

33 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So Jay Wright, Tony Bennett, and Mark Few aren’t running clean programs?

I disagree.

I'm sure they stretch the rules just like everyone else.

No thank you to Tony Bennett and Mark Few - I think people assume the success he's had in the WCC would just instantly transfer to the B1G (a big boy's conference) - I'm not so sure. 

24 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

I wanted it to work with the current regime but my hopes are fading quickly.  I’m not anti-Archie, I’m anti-Purdue and pro-IU and just want things to be better regardless of who is at the helm.  If Dolson ultimately decides to move on from Archie, which I predict to happen in March 2022, I think there will actually be multiple options of good coaches who might be interested and aren't known cheaters or completely unproven commodities:

1)      Oats – Small sample size but I love what he is doing at Bama.  The way his offense flows and spreads the floor was on full display while his team demolished UK.  His last two recruiting classes have been ranked 12th and 17th respectively and include a top-ten player in the case of 2021.  And it goes without saying Bama is not a basketball school.

2)      Collins – Probably in the minority here but I’m a Chris Collins fan.  Excellent coaching pedigree and basketball mind.  I truly believe he his better than his overall W-L record at NW reflects.

3)      Woodson – Probably in the minority here as well but he brings the IU guy factor and the NBA connections / experience both to the table.  The obvious con here is lack of college coaching experience but I’m beginning to think that doesn’t matter so much.  Plus he took the Knicks to the Easter Conference Semis.  There’s something to be said for that alone.

4)      Donovan – Would easily be #1 if not for lack of likelihood.  However, Archie’s buyout drops considerably after next year and I think it’s plausible that after two years with Chicago he may start to think it’s not any easier to rebuild and win with an incredibly young NBA team than it is at the college level.  IU would likely provide a nice landing spot and a nice payday if that is how it plays out.

5)      Beilein - Possibly the best X’s and O’s guy that would be available, Beilein is a proven winner in the conference and that carries a lot of weight.  And I think he would have a legitimate interest in the job.  His age makes him only a short-term solution though and his disastrous tenure in the NBA could maybe have an impact on recruiting.

Honorable mention to Fife if the pressure on Dolson to hire an IU guy is overwhelming. I think his limited profile as a head coach still makes that move unlikely.

I actually think Donovan is more attainable than some will believe. I live in Chicago and am a Bulls fan. It's my guess he's been hired here to deal with a roster stacked with young talent - that's what Billy Donovan does. Once he's done that, he's gone (~2 years if I had to guess). 

It was my impression he was talked to during our last search but IU wasn't willing to pay his assistants top dollar. Whether or not that's true - who knows. 

Beilein I'd love as well. It's not a sexy name but the man wins in March. At the end of the day - that's all we really care about.