Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

If I'm being realistic
1. Beard
2. Pearl
3. Fife
4. Belien

Outside of Fife I'd know that the problem wasn't the coach at that point. Get someone proven and then the ???'s would be gone imo.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Time for a iu guy. We need someone to take pride in this team. Anybody from past are options

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'd like Archie fired tomorrow and Mike Roberts named interim to see if he sparks something. Outside of that you have what??? Fife, Alford, Woodson, Guyton, someone I'm missing.....???

My problem with that is that we’d be settling. We had that with Crean. Sure we won a big ten championship(s) but who cares about those? Only Purdue cares about those.

A coach with final four experience needs to be a requirement. Multiple final fours preferably. 
That's a big requirement. Who you got?

I always find it interesting to throw out hopes and prayers in times likes these. I have been an Archie supporter, I have wanted him to be good and succeed here, it’s getting difficult, but my stance has mainly alwasy been you can’t fire him without a slam dunk lined up, so stay put and keep the faith.

That being said, my list is pretty short on who I think is actual realistic and why.

1. Chris Beard - I think he’s the homerun hire. He is younger, runs an exciting system, he has shown some big time success, and the cherry on the top, he has ties to Bob knight. I do not think the last part is a requirement, but there’s a huge chunk of the fan base they still get excited in the pants when the name Bob Knight comes up or a coach that had ties to Bob Knight

2. John Belein - I believe the job was his originally but we went with Sampson. Which I think sampson would have us rolling right now but I digress. Belein is older but still has a good few years left. If we can get him for 4-5 years I think it’s a great get. He has proven he can do it in the big ten. He left basketball on a sour note, and I think he can bridge the gap and make IU a desirable place to coach again after he leaves, assuming he brings us success

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Again remember Archie was a top ten paid coach at the time. We need to keep our wants realistic.

Currently Archie is 20.

1. Cal - not coming

2. Coach K -Not coming

3. Mick Cronin -‘doubt he leaves UCLA for IU

4. Barnes - possible?

5. Chris Beard (4.2million)

6. Jay wright - not leaving

7. IZzzo - not leaving

8. Roy Williams -

Not leaving

9. Chris Mack - doubtful

10. Bill self -

Not leaving

11. Huggins - ? Do we want that

12. Buzz williams

13. The Bruce is loose Pearl

14. Utah

15. Gregg marshall

16. TCU

17. Scott Drew - maybe leave don’t want

18. Tony Bennett -

Turned us down

19. Shaka

20. Archie

The salary difference between coach 10 and Archie at 20 is 500,000.

So we are spending the money we just are not showing the same ROI has the other top schools. Which is why I think he need to add a million or two to beard and grab him or go after Belein and bridge the gap and make it a desirable place to coach again

3 hours ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Again remember Archie was a top ten paid coach at the time. We need to keep our wants realistic.

Currently Archie is 20.

1. Cal - not coming

2. Coach K -Not coming

3. Mick Cronin -‘doubt he leaves UCLA for IU

4. Barnes - possible?

5. Chris Beard (4.2million)

6. Jay wright - not leaving

7. IZzzo - not leaving

8. Roy Williams -

Not leaving

9. Chris Mack - doubtful

10. Bill self -

Not leaving

11. Huggins - ? Do we want that

12. Buzz williams

13. The Bruce is loose Pearl

14. Utah

15. Gregg marshall

16. TCU

17. Scott Drew - maybe leave don’t want

18. Tony Bennett -

Turned us down

19. Shaka

20. Archie

The salary difference between coach 10 and Archie at 20 is 500,000.

So we are spending the money we just are not showing the same ROI has the other top schools. Which is why I think he need to add a million or two to beard and grab him or go after Belein and bridge the gap and make it a desirable place to coach again

Yeah, at this point we need someone that can get the program on solid ground if nothing else.  This whole "he could be here 30 years" crap hasn't worked, and looks more like he'll need gone in 5.

I'd like Archie fired tomorrow and Mike Roberts named interim to see if he sparks something. Outside of that you have what??? Fife, Alford, Woodson, Guyton, someone I'm missing.....???

I was just drunk. I will take anybody at this point.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, rcs29 said:

That's a big requirement. Who you got?

The problem I have with firing Archie (I'm an Archie guy obviously) is that there is no clear right answer out there that is realistic. Yes, people can reply with anyone is better than Archie, but we can't settle and or make a lateral move. Do we really want to return to the Indiana we expect (Final Four's) or do we just want to settle with winning and sometimes being ranked in the Top 25? 

Indiana needs a hire that is going to lead us to another banner. Anything else is just waisting our time. Of course I'd like to see us win game and be in the top of the B1G, but only if it's a coach that can get us to a title game and not just the elite eight.

Brad Stevens is my only answer sadly. 

The problem I have with firing Archie (I'm an Archie guy obviously) is that there is no clear right answer out there that is realistic. Yes, people can reply with anyone is better than Archie, but we can't settle and or make a lateral move. Do we really want to return to the Indiana we expect (Final Four's) or do we just want to settle with winning and sometimes being ranked in the Top 25? 
Indiana needs a hire that is going to lead us to another banner. Anything else is just waisting our time. Of course I'd like to see us win game and be in the top of the B1G, but only if it's a coach that can get us to a title game and not just the elite eight.
Brad Stevens is my only answer sadly. 
I'd love Stevens but that's not likely. To your point though we have to walk before we run and right now we're just barely crawling. If an elite guy with a proven track record isn't available then you have to just look to get better. Many options out there that have to be better than what we have currently. I'd rather win in some capacity for now rather than pretty much know the ceiling is a bubble tournament team.

I'm not exactly sold on Beard yet. I like that he's younger, he has experience at the final four which is nice, and he tends to win at each level that he's been at. But a couple things intrigue me.

1) He's only coached in the SOUTH. Now he's not the only coach I know who has regional preferences, but it's something to ponder about given his history of all southern schools. Could he recruit the great state of Indiana? Maybe with the right staff of course. Does his family have a preference of the South as well. He's also the 3rd highest paid coach in college basketball right now. Will we match?

2) New Name! Well I like that he has final four experience. I can't tell you anything about their roster construction, style of player, etc. But what sorta scares me is the New Name factor. I think we sorta felt that with Archie. Archie had succses at Dayton and got to the elite eight we know. But did we shoot the gun too early with Archie? Would we shoot the gun too early with Beard? Something to consider at least. Maybe he's the perfect hire?

3) The Rebuild. Let's be honest, there has to be a rebuild. Beard can't come in tomorrow and build a whole new system with new players. We're looking outside of the tournament for this year and potentially next year. Can Indiana fans wait another five years without the tourney potentially? Look how long it's taken Shaka Smart at Texas to "win". FIVE YEARS! And he was a NEW* name.

I WANT TO SEE what Chris Beard does this season and next season which is the perfect timeline considering the decision Dolson has to make March 2022. Archie isn't going anywhere this season or in the off-season. Let's see what Chris can do these next two seasons!

He may be worth a call and I'd probably take him over Barnes, Pearl, Drew, etc. 

19 minutes ago, Treesh said:

The problem I have with firing Archie (I'm an Archie guy obviously) is that there is no clear right answer out there that is realistic. Yes, people can reply with anyone is better than Archie, but we can't settle and or make a lateral move. Do we really want to return to the Indiana we expect (Final Four's) or do we just want to settle with winning and sometimes being ranked in the Top 25

My expectations have become so dulled that I would just take safely making the tournament every year, and that's sad.

Timing and momentum will decide if Archie has another year. Regarding timing we do not have any top tier recruits we risk losing if we fire him know. He does not seem to lead for any top tier kids the following year. The health of the football program is another factor suggesting this could be the if things don’t change drastically. You never want to fill both football and basketball coaches in the same year. You could argue that paying up for better assistant coach salaries could compete for $ but we will hopefully be in that boat the next few years if football success continues. Timing says now is the year to make a change.

Momentum is another factor. Last nights loss alone is not enough but the cumulative results certainly turned the tide last night. If we continue down the path we have been on so far in the BT then by the end of the year his support will be gone. I have been wondering for a while now if Archie simply cannot get the kids at this level to play for him. Do they like him? It seemed telling that the graduating seniors his first year barely mentioned him. Thought that was just a short term thing but now I am not sure he can get high level kids to play hard and put in the off court time to excel here. At Dayton he recruited kids overlooked by the big schools so they had something to prove.

If we are afraid of setting the program back 4 years with another change that might be OK. It is not like Archie has advanced the program over those 4 years.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Timing and momentum will decide if Archie has another year. Regarding timing we do not have any top tier recruits we risk losing if we fire him know. He does not seem to lead for any top tier kids the following year. The health of the football program is another factor suggesting this could be the if things don’t change drastically. You never want to fill both football and basketball coaches in the same year. You could argue that paying up for better assistant coach salaries could compete for $ but we will hopefully be in that boat the next few years if football success continues. Timing says now is the year to make a change.

Momentum is another factor. Last nights loss alone is not enough but the cumulative results certainly turned the tide last night. If we continue down the path we have been on so far in the BT then by the end of the year his support will be gone. I have been wondering for a while now if Archie simply cannot get the kids at this level to play for him. Do they like him? It seemed telling that the graduating seniors his first year barely mentioned him. Thought that was just a short term thing but now I am not sure he can get high level kids to play hard and put in the off court time to excel here. At Dayton he recruited kids overlooked by the big schools so they had something to prove.

If we are afraid of setting the program back 4 years with another change that might be OK. It is not like Archie has advanced the program over those 4 years.

Being scared of setting the program back is an irrational fear. Seems only Indiana fans worry about it. 

15 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Unless Archie and the team lose out the rest of this season (without canceled games) then Archie will be here next year. His recruiting for 2022, how the team does next year, will determine his future. 

Unless Archie and the team lose out the rest of this season (without canceled games) then Archie will be here next year. His recruiting for 2022, how the team does next year, will determine his future. 

I think it is 60/40 he is here next based on results to date. Maybe 70/30 but last night opened the discussion here and likely everywhere IU fans are talking. We have a hard slate of games and we lost one of the most winnable ones. A bad finish will drop the likelihood and it will drop quickly.

Just about everyone who thought this year would be better assumed we would be a top 25 team this year. We are falling woefully short of expectations

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app