Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB @ Purdue - 1/14/21 @ 4:00 on BTN

4 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Fred's a lawyer, so I presume he knew what he was doing and knows the legality of contracts and such. But I wonder if PU were to fire Versyp and come after Moren (after all, where else would they go for a coach?) if parties might be able to say that her $10 million buyout clause is unenforceable because it would be considered grossly unfair ... or something along those lines. 

I have no idea, I'm not a lawyer -- and as I mentioned, Fred is, so I'm guessing he would know if that clause would stand up in court. 

But given that Moren has been pretty successful so far, is a PU grad and the PUs have poached from us before ... 

Won't happen. Any clause agreed to in a contract by both parties is absolutely enforceable (and I happen to know this was) and PU can have her for 10 million dollars. I am not a lawyer but my sister is and I just texted her to ask. 

Here is what will happen: Versyp will be fired as she should as she has ruined their most elite program. When she is replaced they will get someone new and it will not be Moren as no one would pay 10 million for a basketball coach for the Women's program. 

PU Women were IU's version of soccer until Versyp got her hands on the program. Fortunately, when IU got a bad coach in soccer in Mike Freitag they got rid of him pretty quickly and went right back to the top. Purdue has held on to Versyp way to long and she has basically made the job way less attractive.

Much like I mentioned yesterday with Archie, hiring is a lot of luck and just as OSU lucked out by waiting so long on Matta and ending up with Holtman over Archie, we ended up lucking out that Versyp left us as we got the much better coach eventually in Moren. Now we have the best program in the state over the last couple years with Versyp driving PU into ground and ND struggling with Muffett McGraws retirement. If you had told me this three years ago that IU is the best program in state right now I would have laughed but thats where we are at.