Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB @ Purdue - 1/14/21 @ 4:00 on BTN

#18/18 INDIANA (7-3, 5-1 B1G) AT PURDUE (5-4, 2-3 B1G).  Hopefully a smackdown win for our women's team.

Radio

Live Stats

ABOUT THE BOILERMAKERS
Purdue is looking to shake off back-to-back Big Ten losses to Michigan State and Maryland coming in to Thursday's game. They are led by sophomore guard Kayana Traylor (16.4 ppg., 4.2 apg.) and junior guard Brooke Moore (11.1 ppg). The Boilermakers are averaging 69.6 points per game while shooting 41.6 percent from the floor.

SERIES HISTORY
Purdue leads 55-35

LAST MEETING
2/3/20 – W, 66-54 (West Lafayette, Ind.)

NOTES

• Indiana is coming off its second-straight win in a 74-49 victory over Wisconsin on Sunday. The Hoosiers were led by senior guard Ali Patberg's 21 points.
  • They continue to be one of the nation's leaders in turnovers per game, coming in fourth overall nationally averaging just 10.2 turnovers per game.
  • IU is led by sophomore forward Mackenzie Holmes' 17.3 points, 6.8 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game. Junior guard Grace Berger adds 14.7 points, 6.3 rebounds and 6.1 assists per game. Junior forward Aleksa Gulbe leads the Hoosiers on the glass with 7.1 boards per game.
  • Defense is usually the name of the game under head coach Teri Moren, who's squad is limiting opponents to just 56.7 points per game this season, which ranks second in the Big Ten and 33rd in the country.
  • Holmes also continues to be one of the best shot blockers in the country as she leads the Big Ten and fourth overall in total blocks with 32 this season. Her 3.2 blocks per game is 11th in NCAA Division I.
  • The Hoosiers came in ranked at No. 18 in both national polls this week – up one spot in the Associated Press poll and staying put in the USA Today/WBCA Coaches poll.

UP NEXT
IU returns home to welcome Rutgers on Monday afternoon. Tipoff on Big Ten Network is slated for 2:30 p.m. ET.

Excellent 2nd Q for our Hoosiers and lead 32-15 at the half.   We held PUke scoreless for over 7 minutes and at the buzzer Berger nailed a 3 capping a 17-0 run.  We've held PUke to 6-28 FG (21%) and forced 12 TOs.

Points:  Holmes 14; Berger 7             Reb:  4 with 3 each     Assists:  Berger 5; Patberg 3

If only our men could duplicate this performance tonight.  From the 2nd Q into the 3rd, we held them scoreless for over 11 minutes.  After 3 quarters we're in total control 50-27.

Points:  Holmes 17;  Berger 16; Gulbe 8              Reb:  Gulbe 5; 3 with 4 apiece           Assts:  Berger 6; Patberg 4

IU 52% FG      PU 27%

Hannah Noveroske seeing her first action in a long time as she recovers from an ankle injury.

Total domination by our women with a 66-45 smackdown despite a mini run by the Boilers in the 4th Q.  

Reb: Holmes and Gulbe 6; Patberg and Berger 5. 

Assists:  Berger 7; Patberg 4                     Gulbe had 4 steals.

Shooting:  IU 51%               PU 34%       Not a single Boilermaker reached double figures.

Patberg didn't have her shooting eye getting just 5 pts. on 2-12 FG but she had 5 reb; 4 assists and a block.  Cardaño-Hillary again played with a facemask protecting her injured eye.

With the Rutgers game on the 18th postponed, our next game will be on the 21st at Michigan State.

My how we have turned the tables. It used to be PU was the ranked team who dominated the series, but last few years it is IU. We can get mad about our coaching situation with the IU men, but the fact that the Boilers have held on to Sharon Versyp this long and let her drive the program into the ground is mind blowing. Women's Basketball used to be to PU what Soccer is to IU. The difference is when Mike Freitag started driving the program into the ground, IU went out and replaced him to get back to the top while PU just lets Versyp continue to kill the program.

No complaints and I am glad we have found our leader who is good at what she does in Coach Moren (and there is a clause in her contract that PU has to pay us Millions to take her from us so we are good there) and PU can continue to employ their incompetent coach who screwed us way back. 

Schedule is about to get a lot tougher with the Rutgers game cancelled, but we certainly handled the bottom of the Big Ten with no problem winning all six of our Big Ten victories by at least 20 points. MSU and NW on road next who are actually good and I will be thrilled if we get one of them.

Time for men to follow suite and win tonight. Boiler down.   

Sharon Versyp has to be done after this year, right? Purdue has lost 8 of its last 9, and the one game they've won in that span was a 1-point home win over last place Wisconsin. 

I'm shocked they've kept her around this long, honestly. 

On 2/11/2021 at 9:06 PM, TheWatShot said:

Sharon Versyp has to be done after this year, right? Purdue has lost 8 of its last 9, and the one game they've won in that span was a 1-point home win over last place Wisconsin. 

I'm shocked they've kept her around this long, honestly. 

Fred's a lawyer, so I presume he knew what he was doing and knows the legality of contracts and such. But I wonder if PU were to fire Versyp and come after Moren (after all, where else would they go for a coach?) if parties might be able to say that her $10 million buyout clause is unenforceable because it would be considered grossly unfair ... or something along those lines. 

I have no idea, I'm not a lawyer -- and as I mentioned, Fred is, so I'm guessing he would know if that clause would stand up in court. 

But given that Moren has been pretty successful so far, is a PU grad and the PUs have poached from us before ...