Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

POTFB 1/14 @ 7 PM FS1

Hard no on Pearl. He was banned from coaching for a reason. I know some of you are ok with the cheating, but I'm not.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I just read an article on Pearl. I agree , probably not the right hire. I’ve just always loved his enthusiasm and energy as a coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

I'm curious if anyone's breaking point in terms of a need for change of coach was met after this game? I read some interesting comments from some people who had been defending AM but not sure they actually have changed their stance. It's a serious question I'm not trying to stir crap

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I defended archie, but I’m done after that! I’m sick and effing tired of losing to Purdue!

I'm curious if anyone's breaking point in terms of a need for change of coach was met after this game? I read some interesting comments from some people who had been defending AM but not sure they actually have changed their stance. It's a serious question I'm not trying to stir crap

I haven’t beaten the drum on public forums. I believe there’s little benefit. However, when we continue to play uninspired ball against an in conference rival.. Archie has never defeated purdoodoo.. getting out recruited by them.. going to have to make a serious run to crack the top half of the Big Ten..

The biggest problem still isn’t the coach though. The biggest problem is the admin. What percentage of Btown Banners believes they’ll get fed up with this and actually make a home run hire? Yeah, there’s your problem

38 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Last night made it a little more welcoming to jump off the Archie train. 

I haven’t beaten the drum on public forums. I believe there’s little benefit. However, when we continue to play uninspired ball against an in conference rival.. Archie has never defeated purdoodoo.. getting out recruited by them.. going to have to make a serious run to crack the top half of the Big Ten..

The biggest problem still isn’t the coach though. The biggest problem is the admin. What percentage of Btown Banners believes they’ll get fed up with this and actually make a home run hire? Yeah, there’s your problem

See I don't buy into this. If the administration was actively trying to keep IU basketball/athletics down then why would they pay Miller top 10 $ when he was hired? Why would they have fired Crean and ate a buyout? And why would they be ok with any other sports success i.e. women's basketball, baseball, soccer and football come to mind. Now will they make the right hire? No clue but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily but from my point of view this take seems to be some people's way of coping with the absolute pile we've been watching for 3 decades. They just simply need to make the right hire and quit trying to be innovative or whatever.

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Not to my breaking point, I'm willing to give him next year. But, my pumper limits are being tested!

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

See I don't buy into this. If the administration was actively trying to keep IU basketball/athletics down then why would they pay Miller top 10 $ when he was hired? Why would they have fired Crean and ate a buyout? And why would they be ok with any other sports success i.e. women's basketball, baseball, soccer and football come to mind. Now will they make the right hire? No clue but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily but from my point of view this take seems to be some people's way of coping with the absolute pile we've been watching for 3 decades. They just simply need to make the right hire and quit trying to be innovative or whatever.

How long and how much winning would it take for coach Moren, Mercer, Yeagley, or Allen to basically be the university?  The only one that could possibly accomplish that is Allen and it would take a long streak of winning to get there.  If we had a home run hire in basketball that went to multiple FF or won another title how long before they ran the university?  Not long.  Soccer has pretty much coexisted with the university for many years.  There's not the possibility of it becoming THE university.  There's a huge difference between those other sports and basketball at IU.  Further, and possibly a more important factor, outside a few programs it takes getting in the mud to win.  The administration isn't willing to do that.  That's another reason you have coaches willing to go to other conferences/programs because they're not as afraid of the university coming down on them.

Why did the administration can Crean?  They were tired of working with him and the big donors were done.  When will Archie get canned?  When the big donors are tired of him.  Who will they hire?  I have no idea but you can bet it will signal where the program is heading.

10 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Not to my breaking point, I'm willing to give him next year. But, my pumper limits are being tested!

This is where I'm at....reeeeaaaaallllly testing my limits and ability to pump. Though my main motivation for what comes across as being a pumper is that I truly don't believe he'll be fired after this season. So constant negativity doesn't serve much purpose.....yet. I was even more defiant last season about talk of Archie being fired b/c it was as productive and reasonable as claiming that I have a great head of hair (that ship sailed many years ago). A common misconception of us who get labeled as pumpers is that we are 100% on board with Archie being our coach. When in a lot of cases, like me, we are not pleased at all with where we are, but accept the reality that he's not getting fired after last season, or after this season, so we focus on what can be done now. So have I hit my breaking point? Well, not really b/c my thoughts haven't changed. The job isn't getting done but person trying to do the job isn't changing no matter how badly some people want it to. Shaka Smart is also likely killing any small chance of a change after this season now that he's having success in year six. 

17 minutes ago, mamasa said:

The dumpers are going to be proven right yet again unfortunately.  Archie ain’t it.  

once I got past the disappointment of the hire not being a home run hire I actually liked the hire as a second tier move.  I thought he’d land recruits like Sean at Arizona and win by default. Because coaching acumen was never going to be his trump card.

4 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Purdue is all over social media this morning  with their 8 straight wins and longest winning streak in 100 years vs IU garbage. Not sure that is a huge accomplishment considering the product we are putting on the floor. With Furst and Kaufman coming in next year I would expect Painter to continue the beatings till a change is made.

Meh, couldn’t care less about Purdue until Painter actually wins something in the dance.  I’m just tired of fielding a team that’s shots do poorly from and the line that our window for winning against capable teams is do small.

3 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

When we lost Kaufman to Purdue, I knew we were in trouble. We have consistently lost to mediocre Purdue teams and are now losing to them in recruiting. This is totally unacceptable for Indiana University. I was disappointed in the Archie hire from day one. This defense allows 3 point shooting teams to go nuts on you. We have very little fast break action and our roster is made up of guys that can’t shoot. If it was up to me , I would bring Bruce Pearl back to southern Indiana. Get some excitement back into Indiana. Brad Stevens, Donovan, Few etc are not coming here. Let’s get something going and pay serious money for the right coach. Administration can’t afford to mess up again!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No to Pearl.  We had that guy once when he went by the name of Kelvin Sampson.

16 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Back to the game.

Lander 2 minutes 0 points

Leal 4 minutes 0 points

Rob 23 minutes 4 points

Trey 27 minutes 3 points

Al 28 minutes 4 points

Other than Franklin our guard play continues to be terrible. A common theme under Archie.

This is disgusting to look at. We seem to be focused on recruiting size which makes some sense with the pending departure of TJD, but we need to upgrade at the guard position desperately, especially at PG. It’s a guards game and we have too many games where a guard or multiple guards completely disappear in the game. I had high hopes for Phinisee and really hoped he’d be more aggressive with the basketball and looking to score/drive more. He did it once during the Wisconsin OT but seems like that’s the outlier and not the norm. Does Archie provide him the freedom to do so or is it not in his skill set, I don’t know but it’s incredibly tiresome to watch him dribble the ball and not really accomplish anything from it. 

Fair enough but part of your reasoning surely includes an assumption about how we finish this year. What sort of finish could change your mind?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app