Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

POTFB 1/14 @ 7 PM FS1

40 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Yep exactly what I mean. We had some sh*t seasons with Crean, but outside of the Vonleh year (which was eerily similar to how Archie ball is playing out) those teams had some excitement to them. Troy running the floor, Blackmon hitting bombs, Bryant, Yogi, an exciting brand of basketball more often than not. 

This team is just brutal to watch. It’s like watching Jr. High basketball. We suck and we’re boring. 

Yeah...the worst part of it is, we are a really boring team. “If only (can’t think of anyone on IU) would get hot!”

27 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

If you're a top coach what's the allure to leave your current gig and coach at IU?  Serious question

Bingo.  And I don't think our fan base gets that.

So to get those top names, you have to throw more than money at them.....you have to throw MONEY at them, because they can already earn big cash in more attractive places.  Let's face it, most of us are living in a fantasy world where IU was what it was in 1980s.  Fact is that we have players on this team that weren't alive the last time IU was in the final four and they couldn't even tell you who coached that team.

So you are going to have to bring in a great hire that isn't a Brad Stevens or Billy Donavan type....they aren't coming here.   Let's face it, in football we got lucky with Tom Allen -- on the surface, that was not a good hire and we did not do the coaching search we should have.  So we can either count on getting lucky or invest in getting it right.

Bingo.  And I don't think our fan base gets that.
So to get those top names, you have to throw more than money at them.....you have to throw MONEY at them, because they can already earn big cash in more attractive places.  Let's face it, most of us are living in a fantasy world where IU was what it was in 1980s.  Fact is that we have players on this team that weren't alive the last time IU was in the final four and they couldn't even tell you who coached that team.
So you are going to have to bring in a great hire that isn't a Brad Stevens or Billy Donavan type....they aren't coming here.   Let's face it, in football we got lucky with Tom Allen -- on the surface, that was not a good hire and we did not do the coaching search we should have.  So we can either count on getting lucky or invest in getting it right.

I think the fans on the board are fine with the idea of investing in this hire. Maybe those that give aren’t but we are.

Alabama was in the same spot. Did they say we have to get lucky or did they go get their guy. I don’t think IU will go after our guy.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

44 minutes ago, maharkn said:

They will this year or next. Will have the number 1 recruiting class when he signs chet and hunter. Recruits players who have size and can shoot.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Suckers bet.  I'll take the wager that he does not win a title this year or next.

And for the record, Mark Few is a fabulous coach.  Not winning a title while being at a freaking WCC school is certainly not a knock.  In terms of him ever leaving Gonzaga, I don't see it.  He's been there 21 years and probably the last 12 years he could have had the pick of any open job in the country if he wanted it.  

Suckers bet.  I'll take the wager that he does not win a title this year or next.
And for the record, Mark Few is a fabulous coach.  Not winning a title while being at a freaking WCC school is certainly not a knock.  In terms of him ever leaving Gonzaga, I don't see it.  He's been there 21 years and probably the last 12 years he could have had the pick of any open job in the country if he wanted it.  
I just like the way he recruits. Talented bigs that can do it all. 5 guys over 6'9. We basically have 1

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I think the fans on the board are fine with the idea of investing in this hire. Maybe those that give aren’t but we are.

Alabama was in the same spot. Did they say we have to get lucky or did they go get their guy. I don’t think IU will go after our guy.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I assume that you are talking about Alabama football and not basketball.  Not sure a Nate Oats type hire at IU would make much of a fan splash at IU.  And I would in no way compare the state of the Alabama program in football pre-Saban to the IU basketball team pre-Miller.  Alabama had been to 18 bowls in 23 years after Bear Bryant retired, won 11 bowl games and was ranked in the top ten 8 times (and won a national title).  After Bob Knight retired until Miller was hired, we made just 9 tournaments in 17 years and finished the regular season ranked just four times -- only once in the top ten.

11 minutes ago, maharkn said:

I just like the way he recruits. Talented bigs that can do it all. 5 guys over 6'9. We basically have 1

Obviously Few knows what he is doing.  Just saying that he will win a title in the next two years is something I wouldn't count on.

I honestly watched maybe 8 minutes of the entire game, glad I didn't waste more of my time.

When I turned it on in the first half, Purdue hit three 3s and maintained a 5 pt lead, and was discouraged they were having a hot start.

In the 2nd half, I stopped at about the 10 minute mark when they went back up by 8.  You could just tell it was over by then.

Honestly, we're trying to be a program that chases national championships, but we can't even beat our shitty rivals who are a complete nothing-burger on the national stage.

What a gut check.

27 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Back to the game.

Lander 2 minutes 0 points

Leal 4 minutes 0 points

Rob 23 minutes 4 points

Trey 27 minutes 3 points

Al 28 minutes 4 points

Other than Franklin our guard play continues to be terrible. A common theme under Archie.

It's just frustrating because after Al and Rob got called out after the Illinois game, they started scoring.  Durham averaged 15.8 over the next four games and Rob averaged 11.  They are just way too comfortable shrinking away when they feel someone else is more comfortable taking on the load -- in this case Franklin.

Leal and Galloway I'll give a pass to because they shouldn't be put into the position of doing things that aren't yet capable of -- they seemed to be getting forced into playing as much as they do (although not Leal tonight) because of Phin and Al's shortcomings.  I'll still personally take Al over Rob because at least Durham tries to make something happen occasionally....I think Phinisee simply doesn't play with any grit on offense.  Galloway plays hard, plays good defense, and is a good passer.  In a perfect world he wouldn't be shooting from the perimeter because we had other guys that could hit them -- and I think if they were, he'd stop shooting them.  Leal will be fine and think he'll eventually be a spot up shooter for us, most likely next year.  Lander simply is a guy right now who is showing that he wasn't ready yet for Big Ten ball.

I'm just tired of losing games that are ones that winning at least makes me feel a little bit of optimism.  Losing at Wisconsin in double OT.....should make you feel okay ONLY if it is followed up with a win in a game that you feel is vital (I'm not going to count Nebraska).  Instead, losing games like we did at Wisky only makes us more frustrated because the reality is there are so many games that we'll end up having where it was clear we weren't going to have a chance to win based on our play that night.