Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

POTFB 1/14 @ 7 PM FS1

5 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

So, most of the best coaches in college and pro basketball? Yeah, I'd be looking at them too. 

I've been an Archie defender for a long time. I'm not defending him anymore, but I'm not advocating for him to be fired either. I'm way beyond solution-oriented thinking and am fully giving into nihilism.

I don't think anything can save this program. All through the Crean years I thought "all the parts are in place, if we could just get a good coach, someone who could coach defense, we'd be unstoppable." We hired exactly the kind of coach I wanted and these are the results. I don't care if we fire Archie, but I don't think anyone we hire will be any better, either. The idea that we'll have our pick of the top tier coaches at all levels of the sport is laughable. In reality, our talent pool will be either a bunch of mid-major guys, or Alford. And if we hire Alford, I'm out. So at this point, it's status quo, or nothing. Hence the nihilism. 

Whoa, do you need a hug?

22 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

Coaches I’d be looking at if we were to replace Miller would be:

Stevens

Few

Donavan

Beilen

Beard

Collins

Bennett

Those coaches sans Collins would be home run hires.  The problem is fans and administration have different expectations.

If you're a top coach what's the allure to leave your current gig and coach at IU?  Serious question

Here's what concerns me: the pandemic has probably altered how some of our fans prioritize this program. When fans are allowed back into games again, we may have some who choose to watch from home, due to not wanting to be around large crowds anymore. Others who normally went to games every year have probably taken up new hobbies or found other ways to spend their time and money. If Archie Miller is back next season, what is going to make those people want to return? They may just decide they like their new lifestyles better. 

Really wouldn't want to be Scott Dolson right now. 

8 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

So, most of the best coaches in college and pro basketball? Yeah, I'd be looking at them too. 

I've been an Archie defender for a long time. I'm not defending him anymore, but I'm not advocating for him to be fired either. I'm way beyond solution-oriented thinking and am fully giving into nihilism.

I don't think anything can save this program. All through the Crean years I thought "all the parts are in place, if we could just get a good coach, someone who could coach defense, we'd be unstoppable." We hired exactly the kind of coach I wanted and these are the results. I don't care if we fire Archie, but I don't think anyone we hire will be any better, either. The idea that we'll have our pick of the top tier coaches at all levels of the sport is laughable. In reality, our talent pool will be either a bunch of mid-major guys, or Alford. And if we hire Alford, I'm out. So at this point, it's status quo, or nothing. Hence the nihilism. 

Great post!  It'll take catching lightning in a bottle to put Indiana back to elite status.  There are donors willing to pay plenty of money to right the ship but the administration and status of the job..

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Those coaches sans Collins would be home run hires.  The problem is fans and administration have different expectations.

If you're a top coach what's the allure to leave your current gig and coach at IU?  Serious question

The only thing is just throwing top 10-15 level salary to convince someone that thinks they're underpaid and has a hero complex. There will always be a litany of those guys, esp. ones with a recent dream run that will entice a lot of schools. 

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Here's what concerns me: the pandemic has probably altered how some of our fans prioritize this program. When fans are allowed back into games again, we may have some who choose to watch from home, due to not wanting to be around large crowds anymore. Others who normally went to games every year have probably taken up new hobbies or found other ways to spend their time and money. If Archie Miller is back next season, what is going to make those people want to return? They may just decide they like their new lifestyles better. 

Why not? He's never getting fired at IU. Fred Glass proved results didn't matter. Just bend over and say yes at all times. They hired Dolson for a reason. His job is easy. 

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

You bring up a great point and I think this works in our favor. Post pandemic things are gonna be different so you have to gear towards the new normal. Its a pivot point in college athletics which makes me think a change is made.

17 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Scratch Stevens and Donavon. Let's at least stay in the realm of reality. I do not seeing them leaving the NBA. I don't care how much money we throw at them

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree but I’d at least approach them about it and make them turn me down. 

Just now, CrossboneIU22 said:

I agree but I’d at least approach them about it and make them turn me down. 

Yep. If they aren't calls 1 and 2 - your'e searching incorrectly. 

You'll get shot down but you have to first make them say no

Because Dakich is the contrarian be ready for him to defend Archie tomorrow. Now when he goes off on the admin, pay attention because he names names of boosters.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

All I know is, we fired a guy with mutiple Sweet 16 appearances and BigTen Championships because he couldn’t do better and avoid “off” years. Crean inherited the biggest dumpster fire in the history of college basketball and brought it back from the dead. We fired that guy to get this...all “off years”.  

Just now, 8bucks said:

Because Dakich is the contrarian be ready for him to defend Archie tomorrow. Now when he goes off on the admin, pay attention because he names names of boosters.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Shouldn't he be off to Jacksonville to clean some balls?

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I was thinking about this tonight. I normally go to about 2-4 games a year. These last few years, even with similar on-the-court product, I've felt WAY more connected to the team and the program, just by dint of being in the Hall a few times each year. This year, frankly, I'm checked out. I'm still watching every game, but I'm not getting excited about wins or angry about losses like I used to.

When the time comes that we can finally get back to seeing games in person, I'm sure I'll get my mojo back really quick, but will that be true of the whole fanbase? I dunno. I have to imagine the TV ratings for the rest of this season are going to be in the toilet after this game.

Well playing like this you probably have to resort to the 5 dollar balcony seats plus a hotdogs like the early crean years just to get a few fans. Literally no excitement in this style. Interesting story I went to a 5 dollar hotdogs game and matt Roth made 9 threes. We still lost but more exciting than anything archie has right now going

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk