Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Nebraska - 1/10/21 @ 6:00 ET on BTN

40 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Played 3 minutes. I know he came early but I gotta say I expected a little more.

It feels like he gets an obligatory 3 minutes in the middle of the first half, doesn’t play particularly well (forcing the issue almost as if he knows he only has 3 minutes) and sits the rest of the game. Can’t be good for his confidence. Either play him if he’s good enough or don’t...these random consolation stints aren’t helping him or the team. 

2 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

It feels like he gets an obligatory 3 minutes in the middle of the first half, doesn’t play particularly well (forcing the issue almost as if he knows he only has 3 minutes) and sits the rest of the game. Can’t be good for his confidence. Either play him if he’s good enough or don’t...these random consolation stints aren’t helping him or the team. 

I think it’s the only option right now. Lander can’t guard anyone.  He gets burned straight line each time. Coach is getting him a chance to show himself each game. If he plays well his minutes will extend.  

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think it’s the only option right now. Lander can’t guard anyone.  He gets burned straight line each time. Coach is getting him a chance to show himself each game. If he plays well his minutes will extend.  

The other more obvious option is to not play him at all

1 minute ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

True but we don’t see practices. Assuming he struggles there too I suspect a coach still has to find minutes for a kid like him. Leal struggled a lot early but the last 2 games he has done much better. 

6 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

He has too much “potential”. Have to let him get his feet wet a little. I think Archie is handling this one well.   To me the bigger problem is on the defensive end.  Was he always this poor on D?

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He has too much “potential”. Have to let him get his feet wet a little. I think Archie is handling this one well.   To me the bigger problem is on the defensive end.  Was he always this poor on D?

He probably was. Up to Archie to figure out how to mask it. Crean could do it with Hulls for the most part. Someone really just needs to work on his jumpshot with him. It is all over the place from a mechanics stand point. 

Feels like with Armaan back we have a solid seven man rotation of Al, RP, Race, Trayce, Armaan, Jerome, and Leal, with Trey as #8.

This set looks SOOOOO much better after Jerome’s second straight excellent game. Damn he makes a monster size difference to this team when he plays like this!

Every team seems capable of beating almost every other team. There should be plenty of upsets. We just need to get our share. The effort and maturity I've seen so far makes me think we will. A couple of years ago, we would have lost this game by 10+ points. The toughness of the young guys, first Galloway and now Leal, promise better days ahead. To me, this is starting to look like Indiana basketball should look. Fight for everything, never quit, and I'll be happy.

I’m starting to feel better about it. Although it would have felt much better if we could have stepped on their throats when we had them down early. Nice to get the win also!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ll believe it (too much potential) when I see it. I never saw him play in High School but I thought I read comments that he could defend at a high level at his position. His jumpshot isn’t better than his defense and his ability to let the game come to him is what likely gets him pulled as quickly as he does. I hope he can improve but it’s just very jarring to see a 5 star point guard (reclassify or not) perform this poorly. 

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Feels like with Armaan back we have a solid seven man rotation of Al, RP, Race, Trayce, Armaan, Jerome, and Leal, with Trey as #8.

This set looks SOOOOO much better after Jerome’s second straight excellent game. Damn he makes a monster size difference to this team when he plays like this!

You're gonna need Trey/Leal to split 25-30 minutes or so to avoid either of them crashing into the freshman wall hard.

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I don't see a problem with putting Rob back in the starting lineup when Armaan returns. Rob, Al, Armaan, Race and TJD with Hunter and Leal being the first two off the bench. I think Leal has proved he should be getting more minutes than Galloway. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I don't see Leal being ahead of Galloway.  

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

We sit at 8-5 with 14 games left. What is the minimum number of games we need to win to be a tourney team? Im thinking we need to go 10-4 or 9-5.

Heavens no.  We are at 23 on Pom. 43 on NET entering today.  The lack of non-conference games will be factored in.  Pom has our overall SOS at 12 right now and has our non-conference rated as the toughest in the Big Ten.  There is a chance we will end the regular season with the #1 overall SOS in the country.  If we are 10-10 in conference we will be in.  If we are 9-11 and win a BTT tournament game, I also see us being in.  You can't look at this like past years.  15-12 this season with 25 games against power conferences is a lock.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Heavens no.  We are at 23 on Pom. 43 on NET entering today.  The lack of non-conference games will be factored in.  Pom has our overall SOS at 12 right now and has our non-conference rated as the toughest in the Big Ten.  There is a chance we will end the regular season with the #1 overall SOS in the country.  If we are 10-10 in conference we will be in.  If we are 9-11 and win a BTT tournament game, I also see us being in.  You can't look at this like past years.  15-12 this season with 25 games against power conferences is a lock.

I think 16 will be the magic number but it’s really hard to tell given where the bulk of the other teams will finish so 15 might do it. Outside of Gonzaga and Baylor, there are really no dominant teams so anyone can lose on any given night. I think selection Sunday will be as crazy and interesting as it’s ever been this year.

All that said, I would be very disappointed if we don’t get to 18 wins including the B1G tournament.  

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He probably was. Up to Archie to figure out how to mask it. Crean could do it with Hulls for the most part. Someone really just needs to work on his jumpshot with him. It is all over the place from a mechanics stand point. 

What is wrong with his mechanics?

Well, for one thing his release point is a few degrees from a granny shot. I feel like that has a bit to do with why his ball sails like it does. His release has always been low and extremely fast. Problem might be that he’s made it too fast. Some guys get into trouble when they begin “aiming” shots. He’s not aiming it, doesn’t have time for that. He’s just pushing it out there with his left like he would on a hard chest pass. No real follow through. Right now he’s not “shooting”, he’s popping it up in the general direction of the rim as quickly as possible. If you look at that motion he’s using, there are 2 results in his ball flight. High arc blooper or backboard smashing bullet. Tells me he’s rushing and aware of shooting flat. Like I said though, his release has always been low and quick. Right now he’s lower and quicker than any of the highlights from the past. Just my take.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Redleader said:

Other than an inconsistent release, not holding a follow through, too high of an arch, too wide of a base, feet scissor kicking? James Hardens set shot needs burned into his brain. The weight room for him can help that.