Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Nebraska - 1/10/21 @ 6:00 ET on BTN

Will always take the W. Needed it.

This current team isn’t headed for anything special unless a miracle occurs. We are an above average team. We play like it most of the time. We are what we are. I actually thought we would lose this one.

On to the next.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

29 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Respectable looking stat lines for the boys today. 4 guys well into double figures with Jerome and Trey coming up with 9&8 respectively. I believe Geronimo was the only one to go scoreless today, though he should have had one. Scooped 12 offensive rebounds and led the overall battle by 10ish. Pretty sure we only had 6 turnovers for the game. Is that right? 6? If it is right, that’s excellent.

Defensively I wasn’t quite as impressed. Nebraska had 5 players go double figures and Indiana gave up 76. We were frequently beaten in transition. I’d like to talk a bit about what led to the 2nd half collapse. Not “oh they suck”, but a breakdown of what you guys think happened. My take is that although we have clearly found a better shooting stroke, there are still certain players, guys who we suspected or knew were not great shooters, who are still taking the shot with impunity. When we have the wrong people being allowed to shoot the three at will, the result is a turnover. It won’t be counted in the stat line as such, but that’s what it is. The other area of concern for me is this is now the third game in which I have watched our offense be completely obliterated by a low post double. Our response in all three was to chuck from the perimeter by anyone with a pulse.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Beat on transition the second half and beaten on iso plays.  It's not our MO, but when they started running ISO we could have went to zone.

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I had said I could see Lander transferring after this year. It was in response to a tic comment from Stuhoo

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Played 3 minutes. I know he came early but I gotta say I expected a little more.

We are currently at 23 on Pom after today's game (with our SOS sitting at #12).    We seem to be staying in that region game after game.

Interesting fact......every starter for Nebraska started their career elsewhere.  The players that begin their careers at Nebraska totalled just 13 minutes today.

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

TJD played 38 minutes today. We struggle when he goes out but I can see him getting worn down playing these type minutes as we work through the meat of the schedule.

For me at least, that's in part what frustrates me that a 14 pt lead evaporates in 6 minutes. If that lead is sustained to the under 8 timeout, hopefully TJD gets to take the rest of the game off, IU wins the game in the 10 pt range or so and there's a little less mileage taken off.

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

For me at least, that's in part what frustrates me that a 14 pt lead evaporates in 6 minutes. If that lead is sustained to the under 8 timeout, hopefully TJD gets to take the rest of the game off, IU wins the game in the 10 pt range or so and there's a little less mileage taken off.

Woulda been nice to get him some rest against the bottom dweller.

We sit at 8-5 with 14 games left. What is the minimum number of games we need to win to be a tourney team? Im thinking we need to go 10-4 or 9-5.

I disagree. No way this team gets left out finishing with 9 or 10 wins in conference. That only requires 6 or 7 more wins. Not saying it’s easy, but do not have to win 9 or 10 more.

It is quite possible once the regular season ends that IU will have played the toughest schedule in the country by most metrics.

Texas, Illinois twice, Michigan twice, at Wisconsin, Iowa twice. Right now that’s 8 games against teams in kenpom top 10. Now Iu will need to win 1-2 of those, buts it is an insane schedule. No other big team has that schedule I don’t think.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I disagree. No way this team gets left out finishing with 9 or 10 wins in conference. That only requires 6 or 7 more wins. Not saying it’s easy, but do not have to win 9 or 10 more.

It is quite possible once the regular season ends that IU will have played the toughest schedule in the country by most metrics.

Texas, Illinois twice, Michigan twice, at Wisconsin, Iowa twice. Right now that’s 8 games against teams in kenpom top 10. Now Iu will need to win 1-2 of those, buts it is an insane schedule. No other big team has that schedule I don’t think.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So we are a tourney team with 14-15 wins?

Every team seems capable of beating almost every other team. There should be plenty of upsets. We just need to get our share. The effort and maturity I've seen so far makes me think we will. A couple of years ago, we would have lost this game by 10+ points. The toughness of the young guys, first Galloway and now Leal, promise better days ahead. To me, this is starting to look like Indiana basketball should look. Fight for everything, never quit, and I'll be happy.

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

15-12?

This year is just going to be different. Not all schools non conference are created.  IU has the advantage of getting their non conference schedule in with 5 high major teams.  Add in the B1G will be the best league again any B1G team that goes 10-10 in that league is going to make the tourney.  With IU’s work in the non conference they have a little wiggle room and could probably get in with a 9-11 record.   Add 7 wins to IU’s resume(any 7 from the remaining and the committee would have a hard time leaving them out in my opinion.   Some People won’t like it but their are going to be multiple teams from the B1G and Big 12 with losing conference records I think 

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

So we are a tourney team with 14-15 wins?

Yep.   We just today qualified for the tournament.  Committee dropped the minimum games required to make it to 13 games.   Teams have to have played at least 13 games to qualify.   27 maximum