Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Nebraska - 1/10/21 @ 6:00 ET on BTN

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Please! Coach Knight had plenty of games just like this. Under performed, but found a way to win. The narrative is tiresome.

C’mon. Archies teams let teams they should blow out hang around. Against teams like Wisconsin and Illinois we play well but can’t get the W. Now sure coach Knight had games like that. The thing is we endured those because the guy had so much street cred.  

The long and short of it was that for most of his time here he never had a senior graduate without at least one BT championship. Every 6ish years he won a national championship. 

This is way beyond one game but we are seeing a pattern here. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Coach night won a national championship his 4th year. And won a big ten title his second year. Stop acting like it took a decade for Knight 

And Coach Knight, as much as I liked him at the time, was probably a sociopath. Point was, when Knight's teams did it, he was a great coach. Miller's do it, finally, and we should fire him. Once again, please!

9 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Please! Coach Knight had plenty of games just like this. Under performed, but found a way to win. The narrative is tiresome.

5 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

You can have games like these when you hang 3 banners. When is the last time we won a conference game convincingly? When is the last time adjustments were made to postively impact the outcome? Archie is a mediocre coach until he proves otherwise 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Coach night won a national championship his 4th year. And won a big ten title his second year. Stop acting like it took a decade for Knight 

Where does he ever say Archie is Coach Knight or that these games are acceptable?  The last sentence in his post says it all when there are two quick replies exemplifying that exact sentence.

Glad they won. Hard to do that when the other team cheats and changes things up at halftime.  

glad to see that Archie kept Leal in and had him keep shooting. That 3 in front of the bench was probably the biggest basket down the stretch. 

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

C’mon. Archies teams let teams they should blow out hang around. Against teams like Wisconsin and Illinois we play well but can’t get the W. Now sure coach Knight had games like that. The thing is we endured those because the guy had so much street cred.  

The long and short of it was that for most of his time here he never had a senior graduate without at least one BT championship. Every 6ish years he won a national championship. 

This is way beyond one game but we are seeing a pattern here. 

I'm not debating coach Knight's ability to coach the **** out of some basketball but come on.  He coached at IU from 1971 to 2000 with 3 nattys, definitely could be argued he should have had one or two more.  That's not winning one every 6ish years.  He coached forever, he had all kinds of wins and losses.  Don't let your frustration of Archie and the fading past blur your understanding of what happened.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'm not debating coach Knight's ability to coach the **** out of some basketball but come on.  He coached at IU from 1971 to 2000 with 3 nattys, definitely could be argued he should have had one or two more.  That's not winning one every 6ish years.  He coached forever, he had all kinds of wins and losses.  Don't let your frustration of Archie and the fading past blur your understanding of what happened.

76, 81, 87 NCAA championships. 92 Final Four. His pattern broke between 92 and when he was fired in 2000. So from 71 to 92 he had a team in the final four every 6 years and won 4 of them.  I am not sure what you think is blurred. 

14 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Every 6ish years he won a national championship. 

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

76, 81, 87 NCAA championships. 92 Final Four. His pattern broke between 92 and when he was fired in 2000. So from 71 to 92 he had a team in the final four every 6 years and won 4 of them.  I am not sure what you think is blurred. 

Just stop.  You made a statement that was inaccurate and are trying to walk it back. 

"Every 6ish years" is accurate in the first half of his tenure. 

He then went from 87 to 2000 without winning one.  That's not every 6ish years.

He won 3 nattys, not 4. 

My point is, we have been waiting for CAM's teams to show some fig ht. Now we're seeing it. Terrific effort at Wisconsin, which should have been a win, and another gutsy game tonight that did result in a win. Is this not what we have been asking for? I have been watching for a long time and have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. From every coach since McCracken. I enjoyed the hell out of what these young men did tonight.

Respectable looking stat lines for the boys today. 4 guys well into double figures with Jerome and Trey coming up with 9&8 respectively. I believe Geronimo was the only one to go scoreless today, though he should have had one. Scooped 12 offensive rebounds and led the overall battle by 10ish. Pretty sure we only had 6 turnovers for the game. Is that right? 6? If it is right, that’s excellent.

Defensively I wasn’t quite as impressed. Nebraska had 5 players go double figures and Indiana gave up 76. We were frequently beaten in transition. I’d like to talk a bit about what led to the 2nd half collapse. Not “oh they suck”, but a breakdown of what you guys think happened. My take is that although we have clearly found a better shooting stroke, there are still certain players, guys who we suspected or knew were not great shooters, who are still taking the shot with impunity. When we have the wrong people being allowed to shoot the three at will, the result is a turnover. It won’t be counted in the stat line as such, but that’s what it is. The other area of concern for me is this is now the third game in which I have watched our offense be completely obliterated by a low post double. Our response in all three was to chuck from the perimeter by anyone with a pulse.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

26 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Worst case was Phin's injury was bad and we lose without him second half.

Thought that was probably's TJD's worst game of the year (still ended up at 15 and 10) -- or at the minimum Nebraska did enough to keep it out of his hands in the first half.  35 points between Phin and Al was big.  Thought this was also one of the best games I've seen from Hunter. I think the most disappointing thing wasn't the threes we gave up -- but rather the string of time where their offense was simply isolation plays and our guards were getting beat.

Hunter had a solid game but did get beat a few times when they spread us out.  That missed jumper that he rebounded and laid in was great to see.  He didn't drop his head or mope after missing it, he went and got it to make a winning play.  9 points (on 7 shots) and 6 boards in 20ish minutes is what we need from him this season.  Although I thought his defense could be better he made a winning play on that end too.  He stopped a drive and got back to his man to contest a layup that was missed.  Glad to see that.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Just stop.  You made a statement that was inaccurate and are trying to walk it back. 

"Every 6ish years" is accurate in the first half of his tenure. 

He then went from 87 to 2000 without winning one.  That's not every 6ish years.

He won 3 nattys, not 4. 

I stand by it and think my point Is still the same. You choosing to argue on this point is silly.  

5 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Watched and loved everyone of those teams. Thought that'81 was the best of the bunch by the end of the year. Coach Knight would not make it through the first year the way he coached. Kids, and administrations, would not tolerate it. I'm not saying that we don't need some of that toughness now, it just would not be permitted. It's a different era and we need to quit using Coach Knight as the reference point.

5 minutes ago, cthomas said:

My point is, we have been waiting for CAM's teams to show some fig ht. Now we're seeing it. Terrific effort at Wisconsin, which should have been a win, and another gutsy game tonight that did result in a win. Is this not what we have been asking for? I have been watching for a long time and have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. From every coach since McCracken. I enjoyed the hell out of what these young men did tonight.

This is a fair point and hopefully it leads to wins and a strong finish in the Big Ten. At some point you want to see effort lead to wins against teams ranked higher than you. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Rankings will fluctuate but that was the last game against a team outside the top 100.  The rest of the schedule is against opponents inside KenPom top 60.  This is going to be brutal.

Yea just looked at the remaining schedule. Hard to find enough wins to make us a tourney team IMO.

Rankings will fluctuate but that was the last game against a team outside the top 100.  The rest of the schedule is against opponents inside KenPom top 60.  This is going to be brutal.

I think they are ready for it. If Frank comes back strong, I feel like they can compete with the remaining schedule. Going to take a few losses sure enough, but I don’t think they will be anybody’s door mat. Thing is, they DO have a toughness that has been missing the last few years. Mentally. We need to be healthy and smart with the ball. Shoot at a reasonable clip to open things for the big guy. I’m confident. Even with what happened today.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app