Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Nebraska - 1/10/21 @ 6:00 ET on BTN

IU (7-5) (2-3) wraps up a 2-game road trip at Nebraska (4-7) (0-4).  Game will be aired on BTG with Larry Punteney and Shon Morris on the call.  Earlier this afternoon we opened as a 7-point favorite at Nebraska, o/u 136.5.  Pomeroy puts it at 8 & gives us a 77% chance of victory.

I haven't seen any links for live stats.

Radio

What To Expect

Freshmen and Depth

Saw these stats this morning and hopefully both will improve still further today.

Al Durham:  First two Big Ten games (0-2):  5.5 ppg, 1-7 from 3, 2 FTA per game.   

Last three Big Ten games (2-1): 15.3 ppg, 6-17 from 3, 4 FTA per game.

Rob Phinisee:  First two Big Ten games (0-2):  4 ppg, 0-4 from 3, 1.0 apg     

Last three Big Ten games (2-1): 8.7 ppg, 4-14 from 3, 3.3 apg

Checking out KenPom today, of the team's 20 B1G games - 12 are Tier A, 8 are Tier B, and 0 games are outside of Tier A & B.  After today's match-up in Lincoln, CAM will have 10 Tier A and 4 Tier B games remaining.  We should know if this team has legitimate March aspirations very soon.

Lose today and lose the season. Potential to start a slide they won’t recover from, confidence wise (we’ve seen this movie before). Hopefully they can pull out the win...but playing a team that’s on a losing streak gives me little confidence. Nebrasketball will have a giant chip and come out swinging. 

8 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Lose today and lose the season. Potential to start a slide they won’t recover from, confidence wise (we’ve seen this movie before). Hopefully they can pull out the win...but playing a team that’s on a losing streak gives me little confidence. Nebrasketball will have a giant chip and come out swinging. 

Yep. We can’t afford to fall 2 games below .500 with our schedule coming up. Gotta string some wins together 

23 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Or win today and will have won 3 of 4 Big Ten games with the only loss coming at the Kohl's Center where they were playing 5 v 8.  Have a chance to take down an in conference rival at home the following game for more momentum.

Or **** it, we'll never win another game again.

If IU wins Sunday night we will have defeated three teams with a combined conference record of 1-13. We also lost to Illinois and Wisconsin, each of which has lost only one game. The other IU loss is to Northwestern which is 3-3.  Our next three games--Nebraska away and Purdue and Michigan State at home are all must wins. Losses to any of those three and we are in deep trouble with little chance of making the NCAA tournament.

If IU wins Sunday night we will have defeated three teams with a combined conference record of 1-13. We also lost to Illinois and Wisconsin, each of which has lost only one game. The other IU loss is to Northwestern which is 3-3.  Our next three games--Nebraska away and Purdue and Michigan State at home are all must wins. Losses to any of those three and we are in deep trouble with little chance of making the NCAA tournament.

Wrong lol. You really think that the next 3 games, in January, in the gauntlet that is the Big 10, are ALL must win games?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, HoosierDYT said:

Wrong lol. You really think that the next 3 games, in January, in the gauntlet that is the Big 10, are ALL must win games?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

They aren’t must wins. But they are definitely the easiest path. Get the next 3.  And then we just have to go .500 after that. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Sparty game is away 

Just to get Morris. When it comes to terrible announcers, I'm pretty sure that is like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. 
At least Walton doesn't do B1G games on BTN. I'll listen to Bardo and Morris over Walton everyday and Twice on Sundays

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hoosier DYT said:

_______

IU can't continue to stumble along. If we can't beat the teams that are in the middle and lower end of the conference (i.e., Nebraska, Purdue & Michigan State), why would anyone think we going to beat the top teams? At some point in a season you are what your record is. Sadly, this season all signs point to IU ending up in the lower half of the Big Ten. That's not going to get us to the NCAA tournament.

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Hoosier DYT said:

_______

IU can't continue to stumble along. If we can't beat the teams that are in the middle and lower end of the conference (i.e., Nebraska, Purdue & Michigan State), why would anyone think we going to beat the top teams? At some point in a season you are what your record is. Sadly, this season all signs point to IU ending up in the lower half of the Big Ten. That's not going to get us to the NCAA tournament.

IU finished tied for 10th last year and would of made the tournament easily.  This year will be no different for some teams that finish lower.   The B1G could end up with 10 or more teams making the field.  To add this year is not going to be a normal year and with the unbalanced non conference for different teams this year could be a year where multiple  teams with below .500 records in conference make the tournament easily.   At the end of the day no one can really know what the committee is thinking  for this year because of the uncertainty but it would not surprise me to see a record number of teams below .500 in conference make it this year.