Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MemphisHoosier

2021 5th Yr/Sr Decisions

15 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It's early and just 4 announcements have been made but any of the 4 you're particularly surprised about?

So far those were the most obvious to me. Especially Kham Taylor who transferred here and didn’t see the field and M. Ball who isn’t much of a pro prospect at this point, thus has a lot to prove...but how much does he see the field with a RS Senior in Fitz?

Guys I don’t think will come back are Fryfogle, Whop and J. Johnson. The guys I really hope come back are Crider, Powell, Swann and Whitehead. Nworah isn’t pro talent so if he’s smart he also comes back and gets a free masters degree but my hope is he gets passed on the depth chart regardless.  

48 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

So far those were the most obvious to me. Especially Kham Taylor who transferred here and didn’t see the field and M. Ball who isn’t much of a pro prospect at this point, thus has a lot to prove...but how much does he see the field with a RS Senior in Fitz?

Guys I don’t think will come back are Fryfogle, Whop and J. Johnson. The guys I really hope come back are Crider, Powell, Swann and Whitehead. Nworah isn’t pro talent so if he’s smart he also comes back and gets a free masters degree but my hope is he gets passed on the depth chart regardless.  

I would expect Powell back. He had 2 years of eligibility when he transferred and stated he planned on being here for two years. 

Judging from Swann's tweets after the bowl game, I'd say he's leaning towards returning. I hope Crider returns, but I believe the plan is to slide Carpenter into the C spot for the next 3 years, so that hit wouldn't be too bad.

As far as Ball, I have mixed feelings. Talent wise, it's a huge keep. But the guy regressed each of his last two years. He played undisciplined and out of control( stupid penalties and constantly leaving his assignment to make the "BIG" play). Hopefully a year of watching what this defense can accomplish when 11 guys play as a unit hit home with him. This defense can't have a position as important as the Husky going rogue half the time.

5 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

I would expect Powell back. He had 2 years of eligibility when he transferred and stated he planned on being here for two years. 

Judging from Swann's tweets after the bowl game, I'd say he's leaning towards returning. I hope Crider returns, but I believe the plan is to slide Carpenter into the C spot for the next 3 years, so that hit wouldn't be too bad.

As far as Ball, I have mixed feelings. Talent wise, it's a huge keep. But the guy regressed each of his last two years. He played undisciplined and out of control( stupid penalties and constantly leaving his assignment to make the "BIG" play). Hopefully a year of watching what this defense can accomplish when 11 guys play as a unit hit home with him. This defense can't have a position as important as the Husky going rogue half the time.

Agreed on Ball. I really liked how DK played in that position later in the season. 

52 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Completely agree. I thought Ball was the most frustrating player on the defense two seasons ago. I hoped it was due in part to trying to cover for lacking teammates but I think you hit the nail on the head in your assessment of “lack of discipline, trying to make the big play”. That position requires a ton of football IQ. I’d like to see Ball used in obvious passing downs to cover TE’s and free up Cam Jones to apply pressure. If Ball puts in work in the film room he can provide a ton of situational talent and depth. He doesn’t need to be an every down player to make a significant impact 

Ive not followed this 5th year of eligibility closely. How does this affect new recruits, roster numbers ect ?

Rosters will expand to accommodate players choosing to play another year that otherwise had exhausted their eligibility. They won’t count toward the 85 scholarship limit. Other than that everything remains the same, recruiting class size won’t be affected.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app