Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan31

(2021) - Kaitlin Peterson to UCF

'21 PG Kaitlin Peterson from Eufaula HS in Eufaula, AL.  

March 2020 Article:  Peterson was a 5-foot-9 junior guard at Eufaula in her fourth full season on the Tigers' varsity team, led by head coach Jermieke Cliatt. By the Numbers: Peterson averaged a Wiregrass-best 23.7 points a game this past season for the Tigers, who finished with a 25-7 record and reached the Class 5A Southeast Regional Tournament. She also earned 7.1 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 5.5 steals per game. She also carries a 3.4 grade point average in classes.

ESPN:  Under Armour Cup-July 2019: Athletic combo-guard with a scorer's mentality; quick-leaper, rebounds and runs, pushes tempo and finishes coast-to-coast; a speed merchant in transition, pressures the defense and delivers consistently; manufactures shots, drains jumpers off the bounce, keeps the defense honest at the arc; elusive playmaker and a stock-riser in the class of 2021.

HUDL

Committed today.

@IndianaWBB  lands third 2021 commit in 5-foot-9 Alabama point guard Kaitlin Peterson, who is ranked No. 40 by ASGR and No. 31 by Prospects Nation. Averaged 23.7 points, 7.1 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 5.5 steals per game as a junior.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:43 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Committed today.

@IndianaWBB  lands third 2021 commit in 5-foot-9 Alabama point guard Kaitlin Peterson, who is ranked No. 40 by ASGR and No. 31 by Prospects Nation. Averaged 23.7 points, 7.1 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 5.5 steals per game as a junior.

Soooooo much easier tracking the men's side of recruiting and their high school games.  If I hadn't seen her specifically identified as an IU recruit I would have totally missed the story.

Thelma's Kitchen Lake City Classic Tournament - 

The Eufaula girls were led in their win by Kaitlin Peterson with 20 points, seven assists and five steals and by Denahria Hicks’ double-double of 12 points and 18 rebounds. Mikasia Floyd and Iyauna Gordy both had 10 points with Floyd also claiming six rebounds. Zahria Hoskey added eight points and six steals.  Peterson was named the tournament MVP.  Hicks and Gordy were named to the all-tournament team.

Eufaula defeated Opelika 65-32.  Peterson with 18 pts.  Eufaula is ranked #2 in Class 6A.   For reference, 6A is the second highest level in Alabama.  Peterson's school is nearly the smallest in Class 6A with an enrollment of 575; the largest is Mountain Brook (remember Christian and Trendon Watford?) with an enrollment of just over 1,000.

Getting info on Peterson's senior season has been nearly impossible.  Eufaula High School (26-5) made it to the Class 6A Southwest Regional Championship but was defeated by Carver 66-62.  Couple of reports from a game story I found.

The Wolverines led 54-49 with 4:46 left when Eufaula’s Peterson heated up, scoring eight points in a 41-second span off a driving jumper in the lane, a 3-pointer and finishing it with layup and free throw after an inbound steal by Jada Woods.

Peterson, despite a sluggish shooting performance early, finished with a game-high 29 points, including 15 in the final quarter. She also had seven rebounds, six assist, four steals and only two turnovers.

“She has that X factor and I look forward to watching her at the next level,” Cliatt said, noting the standout finished her career with nearly 3,000 points.

See you in SSAH next October.

Peterson, Alabama team win All Star game

image.png

Representing the Eufaula High School girls’ basketball team in the AHSAA 31st Alabama vs Mississippi All-Star game on Friday, Kaitlin Peterson and the Alabama team dominated the game and won handily 102-70 in Montgomery.

Peterson earned 15 points and had two assists. Geneva County’s Karoline Striplin was the top scorer with 17 points, eight rebounds and two blocks.

Peterson, who averaged 26.5 points per game for Eufaula this season, hit 5-of-14 shots, including 1-of-3 3-pointers, and was a perfect 4-for-4 at the foul line. EHS head coach Jermieke Cliatt said he’s proud of the work she’s put in this year.

“She was definitely deserving of this opportunity. She has accomplished so much for our girls’ basketball program, and I have enjoyed coaching her these past four years,” he said. “I have coached a lot of good players, but Kaitlin is my first player to ever play in the Alabama versus Mississippi All-Star game. This just shows how special of a player she is.

“She made the AHSAA North/South All-Star game last year, but the AHSAA cancelled the event due to COVID-19, so I’m happy for her that she got to play in the All Star game this year and I look forward to watching her at next level when she gets to college.”

In Nov. 2020, Peterson signed with the Big 10’s Indiana University and was the first local player since 2008 to sign with a major university.

“When I first took the job, I knew she (Peterson) would be a power 5 player,” Cliatt said in an interview on her signing day. “I have watched her grow and mature her basketball game from a freshman starting at the point guard position. That is difficult to do as a freshman – playing point guard position as a Class 5A school basically playing in a 6A classification.

“Her motor is always at 110 percent. I can’t remember one game that she didn’t play hard. She also makes good grades. The sky is the limit for her.”

Cliatt said Peterson has been successful not just because of her natural ability on the court, but because of a desire to listen to coaches and work on improving.

“The No. 1 thing that helped her get where she is at is her allowing me to coach her hard,” Cliatt said. “A lot of kids don’t want to be coached hard. The generation now will shut down, but she has never shut down when I have coached her hard.”

Though she plays mostly point guard, Peterson can also play the 2 and 3 positions on the court. She is expected to continue that at Indiana.

In a press release from the university, Indiana head coach Teri Moren said several characteristics made Peterson a desired player for the Hoosiers.

“The first thing you notice when watching Kaitlin is her speed,” she said. “She is as fast with the basketball as any player in the country. As we continued to get to know Kaitlin, her competitiveness and desire to win really stuck out. Kaitlin really loves to play basketball.”

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Quit on your teammates halfway through the year... hope she doesn't go through any adversity at UCF.

I agree.  Not sure what happened regarding adversity or reason she quit other than she did not realize what a blessing/gift it is to play in IU Ladies program vs what she thought she was or was in high school.