Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Maryland - 01/04/21 @ 8:00 on BTN

2 hours ago, schoosier said:

I really liked the big lineup with Hunter and only 2 guards. It helped take some pressure off TJD and he performed well in the second half. I would like to see a starting lineup of TJD/Race/Hunter/Galloway and either Rob or Al depending on who’s hot. It matches up so much better to the big lineups we see in the Big. 

Me too. That is basically the starting line-up I expected before the season (Rob, Al, Hunter, Race & TJD.) I didn't foresee Franklin or Galloway's emergence. Still that is a more versatile line-up. Unfortunately Brunk's injury has destroyed any semblance of front-court depth. And we end up with Leal guarding the post.....he gave it a solid effort....but, yech. 

Full details at:  https://indianahq.com/indiana-versus-maryland-by-the-lineups/   Hunter's been taking a beating for his play - rightfully so - but notice he's in the top line in all 3 categories for last night's game.   And don't miss point #5 in the details.

image.png

45 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Full details at:  https://indianahq.com/indiana-versus-maryland-by-the-lineups/   Hunter's been taking a beating for his play - rightfully so - but notice he's in the top line in all 3 categories for last night's game.   And don't miss point #5 in the details.

image.png

Weird to me the leash was so tight with Hunter in the first. Franklin’s injury had something to do with it but I kept expecting Archie to sub him out especially after those awful fouls on 3s and to not see him the rest of the night, but it never came until ironically he drilled a 3 with less than a minute to go. Hoping that builds some confidence as he’ll be needed to spell Thompson and TJD with our lack of size.

27 minutes ago, IUCane said:

Imagine how much better these numbers would have been if Hunter didn't commit those two dumb fouls on 3pt shots.. +/- would have been even better :)

I thought those were bad calls, especially the second one. The shooter just fell down. 

19 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I thought Race was straddling the line when he passed back?! I was doing some work so I might have missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Nope--

1. Both feet and the ball clearly over, then
  2. One foot stepped back into the backcourt and
  3. Then the ball was passed back to the backcourt.

Me and my boy rewound it and it was clear--would have been a very quick review and overturn if they'd went to the video table.

34 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I thought those were bad calls, especially the second one. The shooter just fell down. 

But remember; there doesn't have to be contact on the shooter--the defender has to give the shooter room to land. I thought they were close calls but overall calls that were appropriate. And shame on Hunter for those potential whistles.

Hunter was terrible last night and has to improve his b-ball IQ dramatically. 

Archie in his post game presser:

Question from Peegram: "Hey Archie. Ya know Jerome fouled on the three twice but you kept him in and he rewarded you with a couple of threes himself. Just talk about sticking with him through there."

Archie: "(long pause) That's a tough question. (another long pause) He rewarded us? (ANOTHER long pause)"

Peegs: Ah...uhm he rewarded you with ahhh... a couple of threes after ahhh keeping him in there. Ya know, after the fouling on the other opposing ahhh threes."

Archie: (rolls eyes. shrugs) (long pause) "He needed to, ah, those were two really tough foul calls at the end of shot clocks when we had a stop. He's gotta be more disciplined there fouling. We talk a lot to Jerome about that. It's being smart. You know offensively he stuck a big one for us and then the second one? Thank god it went in. Cause that's a ahhm questionable shot at that time of game."

In summary...at pressers Archie doesn't ever throw individual players under the bus, but he was PISSED. I'm still disappointed that he didn't yank Hunter after the first foul.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

But remember; there doesn't have to be contact on the shooter--the defender has to give the shooter room to land. I thought they were close calls but overall calls that were appropriate. And shame on Hunter for those potential whistles.

Question from Peegram: "Hey Archie. Ya know Jerome fouled on the three twice but you kept him in and he rewarded you with a couple of threes himself. Just talk about sticking with him through there."

Archie: "(long pause) That's a tough question. (another long pause) He rewarded us? (ANOTHER long pause)"

Peegs: Ah...uhm he rewarded you with ahhh... a couple of threes after ahhh keeping him in there. Ya know, after the fouling on the other opposing ahhh threes."

Archie: (rolls eyes. shrugs) (long pause) "He needed to, ah, those were two really tough foul calls at the end of shot clocks when we had a stop. He's gotta be more disciplined there fouling. We talk a lot to Jerome about that. It's being smart. You know offensively he stuck a big one for us and then the second one? Thank god it went in. Cause that's a ahhm questionable shot at that time of game."

Jerome was maddening last night. HOWEVER, IMO there was a very noticeable difference in the zone offense with him in the game vs. Galloway. Jerome actually made the right passes and forced the top of the zone to open up so IU could get the ball in the middle. 

3 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Jerome was maddening last night. HOWEVER, IMO there was a very noticeable difference in the zone offense with him in the game vs. Galloway. Jerome actually made the right passes and forced the top of the zone to open up so IU could get the ball in the middle. 

The major positive of Jerome is that he is a shooter that has to be accounted for. Playing Galloway at the three allows defenses to sag on TrayceRace

Just now, Stuhoo said:

The major positive of Jerome is that he is a shooter that has to be accounted for. Playing Galloway at the three allows defenses to sag on TrayceRace

Agreed. it puts this team back at having three non-shooters on the court just like old times. But yes, Jerome needs to sharpen his BB IQ if he wants to stay on the court. 

I felt it was the opposite. Second one had a view of him clearly making contact with the shooters hands, then the guy tried to win a Tony. First one, Jerome very clearly (indisputable video evidence) did not touch the shooter at all. Player had all the space in the gym to land as Hunter went by him. Whatever, he knows it was wrong I’m sure. I thought he played one of his better games outside of that.

Still curious about Race and the potential over and back non call late in the game. He clearly was standing in our offensive end. Not sure if the ball had broken the time line plane. So which is it? Player or ball? Maybe I’m confusing football rules with the ruling
I would of called it over and back as he passed the ball back in the back court. Just a missed call by the officials? Anybody know?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

It was explained to me that both feet and the ball have to be established in the front court. If any one of those 3 points cross back over, it is over and back

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You have to have everything (both feet and ball) over the line to be considered in the front court. Think of the 10 second rule where you need both feet and possession to have cleared the mid court line.

It was not an over and back.

Both feet were clearly across the half court line. So if it wasn't over and back, the ball didn't cross? It looked like it to me. 

Edit- I've been busy so I'm late to the thread. I saw other people responded.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

In summary...at pressers Archie doesn't ever throw individual players under the bus, but he was PISSED. I'm still disappointed that he didn't yank Hunter after the first foul.

This.

Hunter has no business being on the floor.  He is just plain awful and doesn’t know how to play the game of basketball.  How he gets the minutes he does speaks volumes about Archie.  A lot of coaches would have removed him after the first foul.  A lot more would have ripped him after taking that last shot.

Meanwhile, it won’t show up in box scores but Leal was solid in the first half.  He made one play matched up against their biggest dude and bodied him up and refused to let him catch the ball and we get the turnover.  He gets 0 second half minutes while Hunter plays damn near the entire second half and stinks it up.

Minutes have to be earned. 

This.
Hunter has no business being on the floor.  He is just plain awful and doesn’t know how to play the game of basketball.  How he gets the minutes he does speaks volumes about Archie.  A lot of coaches would have removed him after the first foul.  A lot more would have ripped him after taking that last shot.
Meanwhile, it won’t show up in box scores but Leal was solid in the first half.  He made one play matched up against their biggest dude and bodied him up and refused to let him catch the ball and we get the turnover.  He gets 0 second half minutes while Hunter plays damn near the entire second half and stinks it up.

Idk. Hunter’s IQ, confidence, and defense are currently and objectively awful. However, he might be our best shooter on the roster, with great height on a roster void of many big men.

I think it’s worth it to try and give him the minutes to build his confidence for the long run. For the record, I feel the same way about Lander. Both players are integral to this year’s team success.

This.

Put me down for the opposite of what this guy says for the rest of the season. Whatever this guy says, I would like for the exact opposite to happen. I wonder if people even watch the games. Guys, this guy sucks. He been horrible on this site the whole first half of the season. He has no business being on a fan site. When Stuhoo got 15 posts in this game, he got only one!!! It’s unacceptable. He should transfer back to Facebook!

Both feet were clearly across the half court line. So if it wasn't over and back, the ball didn't cross? It looked like it to me.  
Edit- I've been busy so I'm late to the thread. I saw other people responded.

I caught it on a replay this evening. He brought his foot across and then immediately back over. The ref wasn’t in position to see if the ball had crossed. It was a really close play and could have gone either way.