Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

zsmithey4

Guards more conifdent, on to Maryland

**** anyone that complains about this win. We won it with guard play, something we could not get going all year. Those guys gained so much confidence tonight. Al Durham and Rob Phinisee went off in the second hald and Rob hit a damn game winner. We are on to Maryland on Monday and that is the only game that matters now. Penn State is #50 in kenpom btw in case anyone thinks they are a bad team. Yes we should have won in regulation by more but they have good players that hit timely shots but we found a way to pull it out and that is huge. This team is 6-4 with 4 of those 6 wins coming against power conference teams and we are getting better every game. As a fanbase let's quit the complaining and start supporting this damn team.
This fan base is different than some. There is an age range of fans that went through a large period of time seeing and expecting excellence. Then there's an age range that has as their pinnacle of achievement being a couple S16's. The one's that witnessed excellence are very fatigued from witnessing mediocrity for the last several decades. I have no idea your age but I'd guess if I were younger I'd have a much easier time enjoying wins like this but growing up when I did this kind of win served as a "wake up call" to true contenders not a proverbial monkey off the back that this was. That said I hope this does help the guards confidence but I have 3+ years of evidence to suggest holding our breath for that could be detrimental to our collective health.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

This was a wholly unsatisfying win to say the least.   

We saw some glimpses of hope from Al and Rob which is good and TJD was able to own the paint.

And yet IU can't defend the 3 and Archie moved in to "play not to lose" mode with about 10 minutes to go...abandoning what put them out front.

A looooong way to go if AM wants to keep his job.

8 hours ago, rcs29 said:

This fan base is different than some. There is an age range of fans that went through a large period of time seeing and expecting excellence. Then there's an age range that has as their pinnacle of achievement being a couple S16's. The one's that witnessed excellence are very fatigued from witnessing mediocrity for the last several decades. I have no idea your age but I'd guess if I were younger I'd have a much easier time enjoying wins like this but growing up when I did this kind of win served as a "wake up call" to true contenders not a proverbial monkey off the back that this was. That said I hope this does help the guards confidence but I have 3+ years of evidence to suggest holding our breath for that could be detrimental to our collective health.

I don't know, I'm old enough to recall another, much worse win over PSU. One where IU was ranked #1 in the polls and had to have the benefit of an absolutely terrible call to even make it to overtime before escaping with the win. Although, I'm not old enough to remember a lot of that long period of excellence I do remember enough of it to know it wasn't uniformly excellent. Time plays funny tricks on us all, it tends to make us think the past was better than what it actually was and that the present is worse than what it is. Personally, I've seen enough IU teams of several eras lose games that they had no business losing to lose my mind over a closer than expected win. 

On 12/31/2020 at 11:18 AM, hoosierbgh said:

I don't know, I'm old enough to recall another, much worse win over PSU. One where IU was ranked #1 in the polls and had to have the benefit of an absolutely terrible call to even make it to overtime before escaping with the win. Although, I'm not old enough to remember a lot of that long period of excellence I do remember enough of it to know it wasn't uniformly excellent. Time plays funny tricks on us all, it tends to make us think the past was better than what it actually was and that the present is worse than what it is. Personally, I've seen enough IU teams of several eras lose games that they had no business losing to lose my mind over a closer than expected win. 

What year was that?

2 hours ago, Redleader said:

What year was that?

I remember that...92 or 93?  If I remember correctly Penn State was trying to inbound the ball at mid court when Greg Graham held the PSU player's jersey which kept him from getting the pass.  Refs didn't call it, we got the steal to send it to overtime 

Back in the glory days this game would have never been a wake up call cause it followed two previous losses. We would have smashed penn st by 30 lol. Problem is because of our struggles this is where we are. We shot the ball good this game but gave up on defense. I don't get it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Josh said:

I remember that...92 or 93?  If I remember correctly Penn State was trying to inbound the ball at mid court when Greg Graham held the PSU player's jersey which kept him from getting the pass.  Refs didn't call it, we got the steal to send it to overtime 

Pretty sure it was 1993 which is the year  went 17-1 in conference. Didnt Chris Reynolds pull a guy down on top of him to draw a charge?

Pretty sure it was 1993 which is the year  went 17-1 in conference. Didnt Chris Reynolds pull a guy down on top of him to draw a charge?

IIRC correctly, Reynolds was involved in the play. Didn’t he pull on a PSU player’s jersey, but the ref called a foul on the PSU player?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app