Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Penn State - 12/29/20 @ 8:30 on BTN

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So, I missed it. Brunk had surgery and is out for the season?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

He had surgery and is said to be out indefinitely.   One can only assume that will mean the season.  Don't know what the means for the next year.

7 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

Obviously we all want a blow out win, but I seriously don’t get the negativity! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I haven't read any of this thread at all but what did you expect :-)? Dumpers be dumpin' 

On a serious note, I didn't like the way we we won at all. Gross. Lots to not like. But every team has ugly and terrible wins. For the most part the offense got going a bit. Hopefully this was a blip on the D's radar. If the D gets focused back in and the O gains some confidence then I'll consider this "a win is a win". No choice but to move on and build from this. 

I'm about 8% confident we'll do that, but with 17 games left and only one football game left, pumpers gotta pump. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

With Brunk out Hunter’s defensive performance tonight was a little ray of hope.

It’s not that he was a plus player defensively, it’s just that he wasn’t a noticeable liability. And that’s an improvement.

True that, although that time he got blown by on the baseline late, I'm still not sure he's reacted to that fake to the left, yet. Could be escaping me, but best game he's had in an IU uniform? At the very least best Big10 game

Guys...

In the big 10 this WEEK alone (it’s only Wednesday), we’ve seen:

- Minnesota blow out MSU
- Maryland upset Wisconsin
- Purdue nearly beat Rutgers

Not to mention this Penn State team beat VT and VCU, and played Michigan closely.

Obviously we all want a blow out win, but I seriously don’t get the negativity! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Good for all those programs that got surprise wins. We almost gave PSU another one. If we were to have been on the positive side of things vs NW or Illinois that would help.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I haven't read any of this thread at all but what did you expect :-)? Dumpers be dumpin'  On a serious note, I didn't like the way we we won at all. Gross. Lots to not like. But every team has ugly and terrible wins. For the most part the offense got going a bit. Hopefully this was a blip on the D's radar. If the D gets focused back in and the O gains some confidence then I'll consider this "a win is a win". No choice but to move on and build from this. 

I'm about 8% confident we'll do that, but with 17 games left and only one football game left, pumpers gotta pump. 

My analysis. We are like many teams and mentally weak.

Our offense was the best it had been all season so we played lax on defense. Normally we suck to oblivion on offense so we clamp down on D. Our team and many other teams often fall into this trap. Defensive intensity, and readiness can’t be reactionary to how you play on offense. It’s lazy and I can’t stand it.

Offense was better. Not enough transition but guys got to the rim against this undersized team. Not too many B1G teams built like PSU.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My analysis. We are like many teams and mentally weak.

Our offense was the best it had been all season so we played lax on defense. Normally we suck to oblivion on offense so we clamp down on D. Our team and many other teams often fall into this trap. Defensive intensity, and readiness can’t be reactionary to how you play on offense. It’s lazy and I can’t stand it.

Offense was better. Not enough transition but guys got to the rim against this undersized team. Not too many B1G teams built like PSU.

True. I guess the positive I take from it is most good teams prove they can win multiple ways. We've proven we can win with our defense many times. At least we proved we can win with offense as well. I don't think PSU is terrible. Not great, but not terrible. It wasn't an impressive win, but if it built enough confidence to build on, great, and it will just show up in the W column at the end of the season. I'm moving my confidence level to 9%. 

Trayce and race had the worst defense of games I’ve seen from either of them this entire season.

Seems like more games than not, trayce just doesn’t seem to be emotionally locked in or like he even cares to be there. Just seems to go through the motion with no energy or emotion. At least to me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I question how he's so passionate and yet still manages to find so many players who apparently aren't. 

I honestly think Archie is a better coach than what weve seen at IU. Sometimes things just dont work out for whatever reason. Its not working here. I suspect he will have a long coaching career in cbb when he moves on.

4 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Seems like more games than not, trayce just doesn’t seem to be emotionally locked in or like he even cares to be there. Just seems to go through the motion with no energy or emotion. At least to me.

I want to give TJD the benefit of the doubt and say he is frustrated not getting the ball but then on the other hand dude coulda developed a jumper in the off season and didnt do it.

I honestly think Archie is a better coach than what weve seen at IU. Sometimes things just dont work out for whatever reason. Its not working here. I suspect he will have a long coaching career in cbb when he moves on.

I wonder if top recruits enjoy playing for him. At a smaller school with primarily lower ranked kids he may have been able to coach differently than he can here with the higher ranked kids.

Something does not add up.

19 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I wish he had a coach to rein him in

Just finished with recording. Got a win so that's good. Offense was more fun to watch so that's good. Defense was atrocious so that's bad. Took OT to beat a bottom 1/3 of the league team at home so that's bad. I don't get it. There are players on this team that I really like and could be great pieces on a contending team yet the puzzle remains very incomplete. Galloway, Franklin and TJD are 3 guys that really should be enough to take the next step if the other role players could play their roles consistently. Race is solid more often than not but when he's not he really is not. Al played better tonight but we've learned to not count on that from one game to the next. Hunter played better tonight but he's still very far from what many were convinced he was going to be. Rob is an enigma and I really like what he has as far as skill set and I think he is the most unique player on the team from what "he can" do problem again is you can't count on it from game to game. Lander, Geronimo and Leal are FR and I didn't have very high expectations coming into the season for them (more from Lander but that's not looking likely). Honestly had you told me a guard would step up to be the consistent #2 and one of the FR would exceed expectations and be a big plus on the court I would've thought this team would be decent. Problem is again the puzzle never seems complete. If you don't have consistent play from guys outside of 2 or 3 it's going to be a struggle and I'm not talking about scoring I'm talking about counting on them to play their role. Just meh

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Try drilling teeth for a living with a Welder’s mask. I’ll trade Archie job and pay tomorrow. And heck Dolsen might need me soon.

I am back to back champ at Spiece League. My resume is looking grrrrrrrreat.

This is not all in response to Fleek, but try handling hundreds of millions of dollars worth of art (some sculptures worth over a couple million alone and weighing over several thousand pounds that you’re responsible for rigging safely which are thousands of years old and irreplaceable) for $33,000 a year. I would take your job AND Archie’s simultaneously over mine. I’m sure Archie’s job hasn’t directly caused major back issues he’ll struggle with for life, and I’m sure if he’s even remotely smart enough with his money he could have a worthless career and retire in his thirties. And I’m sure your salary benefits you.  I congratulate you for your success and I commend you for what you do.

My point is this: Archie Miller had enough success elsewhere that his resume convinced Indiana University basketball to hire him. I’m not a die-hard Archie supporter by any stretch of the imagination, and his record hasn’t convinced me yet that he’s an “answer”, but IU won tonight. And contrary to so many on this thread, I don’t believe this is a terrible Penn State team. Sure, they no longer have their superstar they’ve had for the past few years, but this is not the terrible Penn State of old. This is the Penn State that beat a top-25 team by 20 and lost to two top-25 Big Ten teams (one by 4). It was a home game without a crowd against a team that has played IU close for several years and they won. I’m not wearing Crimson-colored glasses, but I refuse to be a pessimist after a hard-fought victory. The team’s defense wasn’t as good as they’ve been, but the offense had good ball movement (although, I think TJD should get more touches). Penn State just did what they do...they hit threes to keep them in it, but IU still won.

And for the folks still bashing TJD after a 21-point, 8-13 (5-6 FT), 6 rebounds, 2 assists performance and claiming he’s not engaged enough, please be more realistic. This close WIN was not solely on him just as the close losses aren’t solely on him. He’s an All-American in 2020-2021, whether your delusions expect him to be more than he already is or not.

My biggest complaint about this team, even more so than poor shooting (which happens to most players at times, and tonight they hit some shots they needed to), is the rebounding. They have to rebound better to win against Big Ten teams consistently. 

End of rant. And, again, Wayne, most of this isn’t in response to you specifically. 

6 hours ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

That was my biggest concern heading into college for him.   I posted on here several times throughout his high school career he did this and had bad body language in certain games   Last year was a major improvement from his high school days.   This year he has reverted back to some of the bad habits that have been present since high school is some games which is concerning 

2 point OT win feels more like a potential blowout loss. This team has no sustained killer instinct.
Sorry, consistent flat progression of even the fundamentals is disheartening.
I want this team to WIN but good Gawd.... even the sunshine pumpers got to be running outta sunshine witnessing the non improvement year over year.
Hope is a 4 letter word but, here’s hoping for a better 2021 in more ways than 1.
HNY!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners